__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
The Dead Texan – The Dead Texan
Kranky Records – krank072 – October 4th 2004
By Russell Garwood

dead.jpg

From the tranquil notes that begin The Dead Texan, I knew I would like this release. Quiet orchestral movements – sonatas to the fugues of Stars Of The Lid (primary musical project of Adam Wiltzie, the man behind The Dead Texan) - grace this CD with a beautiful relaxed, serene feel. Loose structures swirl into and out of the often formless-sounding music. Despite this feel, there is slow development throughout each track, and the album as a whole, taking you on a slow, sometimes melancholic, at other times uplifting, journey. It is hard to describe just how much emotion is conveyed through the effective use of strings, subtle synths, and occasional piano, yet there is rarely much more to the music than the slow shifting of these elements. Occasional beats flicker in and out of existence, while sound effects are fitting – be it rain, thunder or nicely chosen samples. A few times on The Dead Texan jarring disharmonies and stabs of piano are used to juxtapose the otherwise placid compositions.

Beautifully atmospheric, this release has an accompanying DVD of films inspired by (and created simultaneously with) the music, which I would very much like to see. That said the music stands on its own wonderfully, and even listeners unused to the slow, haunting development that marks such subtle music are likely to appreciate what Wiltzie has achieved. This comes highly recommended to fans of instrumental, ambient music, and – closer to home – fans of later Ulver, as this has similarities with the trio’s more recent soundtrack work.

7.5/10

Official Kranky Records website
Official The Dead Texan website