The Denial of Transcendental Sound Waves or the Glorious Triumph of Pig-Ignorance

Furious B

Aug 9, 2002
MPLS
With the advent of the unique style of blackened electronic music that grew out of what was once know as a metal band, I began thinking about something. If Ulver had never been a metal band, do you think you (and the rest of Ulver’s still loyal “metalheads”) would still enjoy their new stuff? Of course this does not apply to those that don’t like the newer style.

Also, if a non metal fan became a fan of Ulver, do you think that they would enjoy Ulver’s older stuff? Do you think they then would give metal a chance perhaps?

For myself, I think I would have had a harder time giving Ulver’s newer material a chance because I was pretty nescient and pig-headed when it came to anything that had anything to do with “electronic” music. I now really enjoy some electronic music and I don’t think I would have been able to like without Ulver.

Hard to say. I'm sure Ulver has tons of fans, which listen to strange electronic music exclusively and other non-metal genres. I guess if they have some interest in metal they would persue their old recordings. I know I would.

As for me I'm open to just about everything and anything and have always done so throughout the 10+ years I've been listening to metal. I will admit that it took me awhile to accept Ulver's new musical style, but with time I grew to be quite fond of it. The thing about Ulver is that they will always be marketed towards metal heads. It's just like bands like Empyrium or Anathema. They stopped playing metal a long time ago, but still get marketed to metal folks.

Furious B said:
If Ulver had never been a metal band, do you think you (and the rest of Ulver’s still loyal “metalheads”) would still enjoy their new stuff?
Yes, but I would never have been exposed to it in the first place.

Future Sound of London has never had anything to do with metal but I got into them many years back, around the time I was getting into more extreme metal. Then when I later found groups like Ulver and Antimatter, I thought "oh good, there are other weirdo metalheads into this stuff too..." :)

By the way, Future Sound of London comes highly recommended for fans of later period Ulver. Just stay away from The Isness, it sucks.

I would definately enjoy Ulver's new stuff if they were metal before or not, I didn't get Bergtatt and Nattens Madrigal first or anything. Bergtatt was probably the 4th Ulver album I bought and Nattens was like the 8th, so basically their electronic music was what introduced me to 'em first.

BUT.

If Ulver had never been metal, I wouldn't have been hearing so much about them at these forums, (UM in general, before Ulver had an unofficial forum) because there wouldn't be anyone who started off liking their metal side and then also liking the electronic side, so I probably would have never heard of them. Of course, Garm is was also in Arcturus and Borknagar so I would have heard of him like that - but that's a different story..

If a non-metal fan discovered Ulver's newer stuff, it highly depends on the person if they would give metal a chance. The metal albums are extremely unaccessible to a new fan of metal, especially Nattens, obviously... It depends on how open minded they are.

Ulver didnt make just "metal". And they dont make just "electronic music".

Many people are fans of artists who fit into genres they wouldnt normally dabble in, if the artists offer something special, different and good. Such as metalheads who enjoy Rush. Or rock fans who enjoy Opeth. Or non-rap fans who enjoy eminem, or people everywhere liking U2 or Michael Jackson.

I probably wouldnt have heard of Ulver for a long time, had i not been into metal...and heard their metal releases first. However, my tastes are quite eclectic, and i know i would have liked them very much had i only heard the electronic material. The method in which they create music is different now...but their albums all give me the "Ulver" vibe...and THAT is what makes them special.

Except Kveldssanger (which I loved), the only early Ulver (pre-Themes) I heard was Nattens and I wasn't impressed at all. So I kept this feeling for many years, until I became more interested on the electronic scene ; I then remembered that Ulver parted from their metal roots to delve into electronic.

Being a curious nature, and pleased by the themes they used in their songs even if I didn't like those too much (lyckantropy, etc.), I decided to give them a second chance by listening to Perdition City.

Whoah.

That's when the addiction kicked in. I converted a lot of people with this album.

And I especially like Silence teaches you how to sing and Silencing the singing, although Themes, Metamorphosis and Lyckantropen are excellent as well.

ever heard fucking COIL??? :hotjump: sorry, i just get carried away sometimes...
its not like ulver invented the "blackened electronica", its just that as said before metalheads were introduced to something they hadnt heard before via the whole distribution (the fact that you still get ulver in the "metal" section of stores...).
anyways, metal isnt the most flexible of a genre, perhaps due to the fact that its so huge and mostly homogenic (homoerotic hehe). though i like metal myself, but ive become pretty selective over what record i put on. most nowadays metal albums are a million times overdone, without substance. not to be unfair, there are some bands who are still pushing the envelope further.
yes there are good albums outside the genre, but they wont be served to you, you must go and explore the varieties yourself (if you have such interest).. :)
anyways, this has become such a standard, discussing ulver in a metal forum. whatever.
cheers

LordHypnos said:
Ulver didnt make just "metal". And they dont make just "electronic music".

I probably wouldnt have heard of Ulver for a long time, had i not been into metal...and heard their metal releases first. However, my tastes are quite eclectic, and i know i would have liked them very much had i only heard the electronic material. The method in which they create music is different now...but their albums all give me the "Ulver" vibe...and THAT is what makes them special.

:worship:
You took the words right out of my mouth, baby..

Coil fucking owns. I would've gotten into Ulver's electronic stuff regardless. I'm a huge fan of ambient/soundscape stuff. My favorite being the soundtrack to Riven...oh man...I love that soundtrack.

I think if a person got into Ulver's electronic stuff, they'd probably get into their other stuff after a while...except maybe Nattens Madrigal...that may take a while heh

I listen to some more creative elecronic stuff, but I never really search for it like I do with metal. If someone happens to be playing it, or if someone recomends it to me then great, I'll get into it. But I've yet to meet a non-metal Ulver fan that have not been of my creation. So I probably never would of heard them, but the bottom line is they create great music, so if I heard it I'd be a big fan.