Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
Ulver – Blood Inside
The End Records – TE058 – 7/12/05
By Nathan Pearce

ulverbloodinside.jpg

Anybody familiar with Ulver is well aware of their impact on metal (specifically black metal); however, to fully understand Ulver’s impact on extreme music in general an open mind and careful attention to detail is necessary. With Blood Inside, Ulver has created another sprawling electronic masterpiece. Like Themes From William Blake’s ‘The Marriage of Heaven and Hell’ and Perdition City, Blood Inside expands on all sorts of musical frontiers. Whether it is electronica, trip-hop, pseudo-metal, jazz, or any number of other musical styled, Ulver has become synonymous with experimental musical art.

Blood Inside is sort of a combination of Themes . . . and Perdition City. It combines the varied vocal performances of Themes . . . with the constantly evolving soundscape of Perdition City. However, Blood Inside moves forward in so many new ways, it’s almost impossible to grasp this album with only a few listens. Multiple listens peel back layers of choral arrangements, synth-driven melodies, and the occasional guitar, saxophone, or trumpet, among other things. Ulver has never been afraid to arrange a song to its fullest potential, and Blood Inside is perhaps their greatest achievement in song-writing perfection. Each and every song blends seamlessly together with the rest of the album, but holds its own as a complete piece of work. Don’t even get me started on the lyrical concept behind this album. Things can be interpreted in numerous ways, and Ulver’s abundant use of vocals will leave much to be discovered by listeners interested in lyrical theme.

While Ulver is clearly not a “metal” band anymore, Blood Inside should provide plenty of pleasure for any listener interested in experimental music. After getting several EP’s and soundtracks out of their system, Ulver has finally brought us what might be their most complete album to date. Blood Inside is a complex but rewarding experience on many levels.

9/10

Ulver’s official Website
The End Records’ Official Website

While the use of the word 'experimental' does make sense, this album is very easy listening. I got into almost all the songs from the first listen itself. Great stuff!!!

I think this album has to be Ulver's most overrated. It's alright for what it is, but it doesn't really showcase anything that Ulver hadn't already committed to in the past.

It's my fav' Ulver but I'm not sure it's metal any more.... which is not a problem with me...

anyway, great work ! 8/10