Post Nattens Madrigal Ulver

Blinded By Blood

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES
Jan 19, 2006
Philly
Is anyone as big a fan as I am? I seriously can't get enough of Blood Inside or Perdition City. I'm not even a huge electronica fan(my roommate listens to a lot, I hate most of his music), but for some reason I love what Ulver does

Perdition City fucking wins it. I never expected to get into it, but I love it these days, to a degree that I'm not entirely comfortable with. Ahh well.

Blood Inside fucks with my head though. I need to listen to it stoned, one of these days. Preferably in traction.

Décadent said:
Perdition City fucking wins it. I never expected to get into it, but I love it these days, to a degree that I'm not entirely comfortable with. Ahh well.

Blood Inside fucks with my head though. I need to listen to it stoned, one of these days. Preferably in traction.
When you do, you're in for a treat :loco:

If you like Perdition City you should check out Dead Cities by The Future Sound of London. Perdition City is influenced quite a bit by that (and one of the track titles is obviously an homage to them).

I think my favorites of their latter stuff would be Perdition City and the A Quick Fix of Melancholy EP. When I first heard Blood Inside I was a bit disappointed, but it grew on me. Themes... I enjoy quite a bit, but it's not a favorite. All of their other new stuff I've only heard a few times. But out of everything they've done, I would have to say Kveldssanger wins it for me.

Never got into Ulver considering that I love everything Garm did with Arcturus and Borknagar. Perhaps I'll give it another try sometime.

I seem to be the only one who likes the Teachings in Silence EPs. Lyckantropen Themes is okay; there really isn't much depth to it. I only like some of Blood Inside. In the Red is a great song, but too much of that album doesn't click with me. A Quick Fix is okay too. I like the one remix on there.

MasterOLightning said:
I seem to be the only one who likes the Teachings in Silence EPs.

I like them too. I like almost all of Ulver's output except for the black metal albums which are just unlistenable (or maybe that was just the second one). Themes... is their most inconsistent release. It was their first 'experimental' one and it's just way too long. It's two discs but there really is only one disc worth of material in my opinion. The rest is just filler. (though I tend to think that about almost every single 2-CD release that comes to mind)

Personally I wish they would have taken a different direction than they did with Blood Inside though. It's a nice album, but I would have preferred if they explored ambient/industrial directions more instead of the avant-garde or whatever you want to call their latest album.

I also wish they would release something along the lines of Quick Fix of Melancholy again. I absolutely love that EP and none of their other stuff sounds anything like it, which is too bad.

Nattens Madrigal is a black metal classic. Garm is a very competent musician, no doubt about it. I still think, however, that Ulver should have been left as Ulver - a black metal diety, and Garm should have released the post-Nattens electronica material under a different project name. Though a great album musically, Perdition City to me indicates a band of true black metal origin losing belief in itself and its roots.

DIMEBAG666_R.I.P said:
black metal is shit
And you're a shallow fucking moron. Did you think of that stupid name all by yourself? Why don't you go and headbang to "Walk" in front of the mirror right after you get done sniffing your mother's panties?