Post Nattens Madrigal Ulver

Phil is a good singer, but largely overrated. His vocal style is tame by today's standards and he should retire.
All of them should. Vinnnie was never that good, although he had his moments, Dime is dead, Rex is a great bassist though. I'd love to see him in a none-Pantera related project.

ender7227 said:
His vocal style is tame by today's standards and he should retire.

What are today's standards? Death growls that existed around the time "Cowboys from Hell" was released? Metalcore pussy yelping?

What do you guys think of Bergtatt? Someone recommended I start with that so I'm downloading a couple of songs before I spend my money on it. Good album to start with for someone who's looking into black metal?

Bergtatt is definitely a good album to start with if you're beginning to look into black metal. At least I think so.

On a slightly related note: "pretentious" has become a trendy buzzword the use of which functions as a way for idiots to feel like they're making legitimate criticisms.

biggsy said:
What do you guys think of Bergtatt? Someone recommended I start with that so I'm downloading a couple of songs before I spend my money on it. Good album to start with for someone who's looking into black metal?
If you like a folk/black mix, get Bergtatt. It's one of my favorite black metal albums

ender7227 said:
Phil is a good singer, but largely overrated. His vocal style is tame by today's standards and he should retire.
All of them should. Vinnnie was never that good, although he had his moments, Dime is dead, Rex is a great bassist though. I'd love to see him in a none-Pantera related project.
Vinnie was never a godlike drummer, but his style fit with Dime's riffing like a glove. Some of the stuff was purposely simplified for a more straightforward groove. I've been present at a couple of Pantera soundchecks long ago and Vinnie actually CAN break the fuck out and blast his ass off, the guy actually just sat on his drumthrone and drank a beer while hauling pure ASS with his feet for, like, ten minutes straight - and never fucking lost it. And Phil IS old and probably should retire, but he is not fucking overrated, man. What the hell do you mean by "today's standards", anyway? As I Lay Dying and fucking Atreyu, shit like that? Don't compare Phil to some high school lip-ring pink-sling not old enough to drink little ex-goth faggots - give the man some respect. And as far as his vocal ability, listen to Cemetery Gates. Fuck, listen to the whole Cowboys and Vulgar albums, even FarBeyondDriven. Respect.

Blinded By Blood said:
Is anyone as big a fan as I am? I seriously can't get enough of Blood Inside or Perdition City. I'm not even a huge electronica fan(my roommate listens to a lot, I hate most of his music), but for some reason I love what Ulver does

totally

As much as I like everything per-Nattens Madrigal, I have to say I like everthing post, so much more. I've never been a huge fan of industrial and electronica music so that's saying a lot. Perdition City and Blood Inside are both masterpeices. I can't really decide which I like better.