The Devil is in the Details (Help for Newcomers)

captainganj

New Metal Member
Mar 18, 2010
I've been lurking this forum for sometime now, contributing the rare post about an effect or a thread in the "Rate My Mix Section." I've noticed a lot of new guys post about trying to get more "pro" sounding mixes, looking for presets or better ampsims, mastering plug-ins etc..

I wanted to write this not only for new members, but for myself as a reminder of what I need to do to get better. An experienced user of this forum will have heard most of this a thousand times, but people still task the boards with the same questions.

We know all too well the response this is usually met with. Im sure a pretty good amount of people will be left confused by the sometimes cryptic response of our more established members.

What separates these guys from the noobs, in my opinion, is something that all pro's know and do even if they never think about it. The mantra "the devil is in the details."

What makes a pro sound?

Audio is like stew, and like stew it can only be as good as the ingredients put into it. Just like you can't add poorly butchered chicken into a stew and expect it to be delicious, you can't have guitar tracks that are poorly tracked/DI'ed/miced or whatever and expect them to sound good. Just like you can't expect tasty chicken to arrive in the back of an unrefrigerated Toyota Tacoma, do not expect good guitar tracks out of bargain, clippy and noisy pre-amps and converters. Focus on getting pristine tracks into your DAW on step 1.

Why does Emril have a cooking show and thousands of other chefs don't - he doesn't have any secret special chickens or holy salts and herbs that he sprinkles over every dish. Its because not only does he know what seasoning goes best with what meat, he knows why. This is the same with all effects processing, having a Sturgis or Sneap preset will not make any guitar track you ever run through any processor sound like theirs, you must know what cuts or boots make a good sound relative to your own source material which can be infinitely different.

Start sounding better.

Learn what is necessary to get a proper raw signal, find information on correct tracking techniques, quality mics or DI, good amps, and guitars.

Learn how your plug ins work, stop relying on guides and presets. Instead of trying to find the perfect metal guitar EQ, learn what frequencies guitars need to occupy in a mix and how to attenuate that properly. Instead of posting about how to stop your mix from pumping learn what compression is, what attack, release, and ratios are and their respective functions

Study your favorite mixes, learn what sounds, panning, automation and amounts of effects worked well in the tracks you love. Reference them in your DAW (bypassing any master bus processing of course) use frequency analyzers, and read interviews and articles.

Understand that the professional quality of a mix doesn't come from a magic VST, but from the culmination of a bunch of different quality sounds and tasteful intuitive mixing which may not even be noticeable on an average listen.

And above all else,USE THE SEARCH FEATURE:)

I have also been lurking these forums for some time now, couldn't agree more with this post and I love the cooking analogy. It seems like everyone who is starting out in audio, (including the majority of students at my university, and myself at one point) are quick to blame their tools for crowded, muddy, results. I have learned more from this forum than I have in two years in "audio arts production" classes, so the newcomers are certainly in the right place. I guess newcomers need to fall on their face when attempting to achieve "pro" results, more than once, to realize what it actually takes. I'm still falling on mine frequently.

Thank you, im hoping that this post will field some of the, "can i haz presetz?" type posts. I know that its not super helpful for specific recording questions at all, but then again that's kinda what this forum is for in the first place haha.

I am in 2 minds with this conversation.

On one hand I understand that to the regular posters on this forum that it must be annoying to have the same or similar threads popping up often so the tension builds up until an innocent newbie that may have used the search and lurked for months asks the 'wrong' question and all hell and metal breaks loose.

On the other hand, as being a newbie myself, I can tell all of the senior members here that presets ARE helpful and there is a reason and eventual method to this annoying madness.
We all keep reading 'use your ears'. Now I understand what this means and it IS good advice but it is only good advice once you can trust your ears, which is the skill that takes years to master.
I have never stepped foot in a pro studio in my life and the chances of me being able to in the near future is slim at best. So, if I can't get the chance to hang my head over a pro's shoulder to see what the tricks of the trade are, then the next best thing is to look at his presets.
It offers valuable insight into the workings of an industry standard pro from the comfort of my laptop metal studio.
I have learned everything I know about recording mixing and mastering from the internet and presets alone.
Now I have put in a few more miles and my ears are becoming more tuned in, I find myself recalling information stored in my mind from the presets I used to try, and now I can hear a difference I can use my ears to fine tune but the presets gave me the most valuable starting point.

For those of you who cut your teeth in a real studio, how many times did you ask the engineer "Why?"
Every time you did you were asking him/her for a preset.
We learn from trial and error and we understand they are only suited for a single source, but just humor us and let us go down our right of passage.

this is true, and its not like presets don't have their place. A lot of times however, i've noticed that people want presets because they don't really understand the software they are using fully. Im not asking people to "just use their ears" and twiddle knobs, that is like trying to solve an equation by plugging in random integers. I'm saying that if you take the time to fully understand all the workings of your plugins, the reason every knob is on a compressor, for example you will find that finding things that work for you and are adaptable is a much more intuitive process. Presets are good for getting a good starting point on a piece of software, but you would be surprised to find out how many people don't know that a 2:1 ratio means that for every 2 db of gain over a threshold the sound gets turned down by 1 db. i know i didn't when i first started squashing the shit out of every single thing. Ignorance is never a good excuse for more ignorance

And I am not condoning ignorance.
Presets help to understand how to use the gear. I agree whole heartedly when you say we should all learn what each knob does, like a guitarist should learn scales, but not all do. Until you can learn to hear what each knob is doing to the signal you could say it was doing anything you like, but it has no reference until you can see and hear it together.

the key here is intent, if someone wants to find a preset to help them learn a certain software fine. if that's the only way they can learn because the mathematics and science of audio engineering is just not their milieu, i can even live with that. Its the people that think they can download someones settings, plug into like a $100 USB interface, go through some drop down menus and start making hit records. presets should serve little more purpose than the example problems in a text book, to demonstrate the correct way to do something.

im whit OP and pikachu, they both have valid points , in my experience i have been lurking this forum for the last 3 years now, i dont post much but i always around to learn something, i remember those epic threads in the rate my mix/tone section where Neon bob, dandelium, exzem and a lot other people post their mixes and also post pics of what they do to every track and sometimes even some isolated tracks or a zip whit the stems. , for me it was like a big giff every time one of those threads pop out, i learn so much about everything just seeing and analyzing those pics and listen to their mixes.

Now ... im pretty sure that a lot of noobs just put the settings just like they saw them in the pics without though about it or analyzing anything... but guest what? the same guys that give away the pics/presets of their mixes always say somthing like " i dont mind to give those away, they will never get the exact same results appliying those settings to diferents sources..."

So to resume the longest post i ever done in the andy sneap forum:

PRESETS ARE NOT A HOLY GRAIL THAT MAKE YOUR MIXES/TONE SOUND AUTOMATICALLY PRO.

But you can use it to learn if you get the time to analyze them and understand the context in where they was applied in the first place.