The Devin Townsend Thread

sad to say, i am a newbie to both devin and dan. especially devin. i have some swano with crimson and moontower, but that's it. i've only downloaded a couple townsend songs, and of course i like them.

so can anyone tell me where i might be able to find out more about these guys, where i can buy their albums, or just recommend some of (swano and/or townsend) to me.

To those of you who are Devin fans already:
Any of you have that Steve Vai album with Devin singing? His vocals are awesome, but I just cannot listen to Vai for very long. The video for "Down Deep in the Pain" got me hooked on Devin years ago, but the album version has too much extra crap at the end, and the rest of the album is too... Vai.

Metal88:
I do agree that Dan is a musical genius. Once you hear for Devin you might think that about him as well. I found that you have to let his stuff sink in for a while and you really have to hear the albums in their entirety (many times) to fully appreciate the experience.

bleedingskeptic:
from earlier in the thread, hear are some of my Devin and Dan suggestions, although it's so hard to pick when they're all so good...

Devin:
Terria:"Earth Day," "Nobody Here"
Ocean Machine: "Regulator," "Bastard"
Strapping Young Lad: "All Hail the New Flesh," "Room 429"
Infinity: "Christeen," "War"
Physicist: "Namaste"
Punky Bruster: "I'm a Fake Punk"

Dan: (besides Crimson and Moontower)
Edge of Sanity: "Enigma," "The Masque," "Twilight"
Nightingale: "Nightfall Overture," "Deep Inside of Nowhere," "Drowning in Sadness" - and there's a quality remix of "Remorse & Regret" on Tom Nouga's site (check out the thread about it in the Dan Swano forum if you're interested)
Odyssey: 3 song EP

All the above is just a start. I covered most of Devin's projects, but Dan has many more than I've mentioned.

Originally posted by llamaura
To those of you who are Devin fans already:
Any of you have that Steve Vai album with Devin singing? His vocals are awesome, but I just cannot listen to Vai for very long. The video for "Down Deep in the Pain" got me hooked on Devin years ago, but the album version has too much extra crap at the end, and the rest of the album is too... Vai.

Metal88:
I do agree that Dan is a musical genius. Once you hear for Devin you might think that about him as well. I found that you have to let his stuff sink in for a while and you really have to hear the albums in their entirety (many times) to fully appreciate the experience.

bleedingskeptic:
from earlier in the thread, hear are some of my Devin and Dan suggestions, although it's so hard to pick when they're all so good...

Devin:
Terria:"Earth Day," "Nobody Here"
Ocean Machine: "Regulator," "Bastard"
Strapping Young Lad: "All Hail the New Flesh," "Room 429"
Infinity: "Christeen," "War"
Physicist: "Namaste"
Punky Bruster: "I'm a Fake Punk"

Dan: (besides Crimson and Moontower)
Edge of Sanity: "Enigma," "The Masque," "Twilight"
Nightingale: "Nightfall Overture," "Deep Inside of Nowhere," "Drowning in Sadness" - and there's a quality remix of "Remorse & Regret" on Tom Nouga's site (check out the thread about it in the Dan Swano forum if you're interested)
Odyssey: 3 song EP

All the above is just a start. I covered most of Devin's projects, but Dan has many more than I've mentioned.

You've still missed his ass sordid demos CD. get it, or the mp3's. you'll be pleasantly surprised.

So from my understanding, Devin's non-SYL catalogue is like this:

Ocean Machine - the most emotional
Infinity - the weirdest
Physicist - the heaviest
Terria - the most progressive

And Dan's non-EOS catalogue is like this:
Nightingale - the main progressive project
Odyssey - prog metal
Unicorn - prog rock
Moontower - prog with death vocals
Panthymonium/Karaboudjan - the weirdest
Bloodbath/Infestdead - the heaviest

Originally posted by Kushantaiidan

You've still missed his ass sordid demos CD. get it, or the mp3's. you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I have it, but I didn't include it in the list because it didn't blow me away. But I didn't listen to it three times yesterday like I said I would (only once) so I will listen to it again today.

"He is working on writing a heavy record that he has now decided *will* be the next Strapping Young Lad. However, he will also be simultaneously releasing an acoustic/pop record with the heavy one (in the style of "Life", and "Down and Under" with a few acoustic versions of songs from other records)."

"Devin is already rehearsing for the two new albums (not to be expected until the end of the year)."

That info is from his website.

Ok It's been sometime since this thread started and I have since DLed around 30 Devin mp3's. So far I am unimpressed with 3 SYL mp3's. I have heard mentions to this "city" cd, but I don't know what tracks to get from it, anyone recommend any?

I have half or so each of Ocean Machine and Terria, some great songs on each, my favorite on Terria is "Earth Day" and "Life" form Ocean Machine. I just ordered Ocean Machine from Gemm.com. Does anyone know a better place to buy his music in case I decide to buy more? The major sites like CDnow and Amazon don't tell you shit really, they're backordered and they only have track listings for half his stuff. Retarded.

Now that I AM ABLE to compare Devin to Dan like we were doing earlier, allow me. Erm. I am happy to have discovered some new great music from this Dev fellow, but comparing him to Dan is, as expected, like comparing Diabetic ice cream to a hot fudge sundae. A ford taurus to an Acura CL type s. A trojan condem to a piece of ripped off garbage bag with duct tape, or the ever so trite "night to day." Ok so I'm done there.......Hehehe. In all seriousness tho.....I am looking very forward to getting this Ocean machine cd.

I still think it will grow on you more and more until your an addict. I just thought he was good, but not amazing until one day I was listening to Ocean Machine for the 39th time or so, while doing something else, and all of a sudden it hit me. Like "this is absolutely amazing!"

I will specifically suggest some SYL songs off City:
All Hail the New Flesh
Detox
Room 429

Try Devin's website for purchasing CDs - all his stuff is on sale there.
HevyDevy Records

Be advised, I have saved this thread from utter damnation.

I've been listening to my Ocean Machine and Infinity cd's for a good while now, both are awesome, especially Ocean Machine. Wow! :eek:

I will probably buy Terria as well though "Earth Day" seems leagues above the rest of the songs that I've heard, having heard about 3/4's of the cd. "Room 429" sucks pretty bad, sorry llamura. I will still DL detox and All Hail the new Flesh. This syl song titled "Syl" is pretty aggressive stuff, not bad.

The question I had for Dev fans......does anyone have the 4 song EP that was recorded with the Infinity songs?? Is this worth getting? I love the first 4 tracks off Infinity, it's good after that as well but there is a drop off.

Detox and All Hail the New Flesh are more along the lines of SYL. (I can't believe you didn't like Room 429) :confused: :)

You mean Christeen plus 4 demos? I'd say it's definitely worth getting, but I'd get Terria first - you need to experience it as a whole album rather than just individual songs.

Edit: I should probably warn you that the demos on that EP have a lot of repetition. You might love it, but it also had the potential to drive you insane.

Originally posted by Metal88
Be advised, I have saved this thread from utter damnation.

I've been listening to my Ocean Machine and Infinity cd's for a good while now, both are awesome, especially Ocean Machine. Wow! :eek:

I will probably buy Terria as well though "Earth Day" seems leagues above the rest of the songs that I've heard, having heard about 3/4's of the cd. "Room 429" sucks pretty bad, sorry llamura. I will still DL detox and All Hail the new Flesh. This syl song titled "Syl" is pretty aggressive stuff, not bad.

The question I had for Dev fans......does anyone have the 4 song EP that was recorded with the Infinity songs?? Is this worth getting? I love the first 4 tracks off Infinity, it's good after that as well but there is a drop off.

The four demo CD is quite interesting, and very weird. It's reasonable length for an EP, and it progresses to become weirder as it goes along, from the catchy christeen to Om, a curious introspective peice, to Sit In The Mountain, another catchy little ditty, to Prossesional, which begins like NUTS, and slowly digresses into a repetitive and corny waltz, and then the final track is just kinda, well, you'kll see. Get it.