The DI-Box..

ForHerDeadEyes

Señor Member
Jan 24, 2011
Sweden
I have a M-Audio 1010LT and it has 2 XLR inputs and 6 Line..
When I first got a DI-Box I connected it to a Line input..
Then I read that is supposed to be connected to a mixer..
Problem is, I have a shitty mixer that adds more hiss than connecting the DI-Box directly to Line.. using phantompower adds even more hiss..

I set the jumpers on my 1010L, for the XLR's, so that they're mic-level.. and I connected the DI.. it's hissy as fuck.. and I had to use BOTH -20dB pads on the DI-Box to get a normal level..
It can sound normal with noisereduction, but it shouldn't be necessary..

I can of course set the jumpers to line-level which I guess is at a lower volume, but I already have a few of those.. and wouldn't that be the same as connecting to them?

It's a Behringer ULTRA-DI (DI100) it's active, and not noisy..

I did notice a small difference, using the mixer, but I don't know if that's just some coloration..

Do I lose any quality or fuck something up with sending the DI-Box directly to the Line on the 1010LT? Can't find information on this..

Not sure on how the XLR on the 1010LT works exactly.. I can set them to Line level, Mic Level or something in between by moving jumpers around on the card itself, it's a fucking hassle.. feel like I'm breaking it everytime I do it..

So far the XLRs are noisy, the regular RCA-Lines are not..

The standard way:

Guitar > DI > Mic Preamp input

But... if your pickups have high enough output and there is no need for a preamp (active pickups have a tiny opamp inside already), then you can connect the DI directly to line in and everything will be ok.

You should aim for the signal to peak at around -6 to -10 dB.

Most good interfaces have the noise floor at about -100 to -120 dB and the SN ratio of most pickups is about 80 dB.

Thanks for the answers!

The standard way:

Guitar > DI > Mic Preamp input

But... if your pickups have high enough output and there is no need for a preamp (active pickups have a tiny opamp inside already), then you can connect the DI directly to line in and everything will be ok.

That's the information I couldn't find..!
I have a guitar with passive pups and a guitar with active pups..
I'd like to use them both with the DI-100..
The signal is pretty hot, I have to use at least one -20dB pad, on the way in..

I remember the shoutout of DI-boxes, the behringer was noisy there, but I'm not sure it was the DI-100.. the cheaper stereo one, that is also active, is noisy as hell.. I'm guessing it was that one..
Mine isn't really noisy..

I'll try to upload some clips later, using the DI to Line vs Mixer vs XLR inputs..

I just posted a blind shootout for DI-Boxes. Unfortunately the Behringer is not one of the candidates, but maybe you'll find a cheap replacement. I've heared a lot of good and bad thing about this box and it almost made it into my selection. My signal chain was guitar -> DI -> Mic preamp of an ESI ESP 1010e.

I just posted a blind shootout for DI-Boxes. Unfortunately the Behringer is not one of the candidates, but maybe you'll find a cheap replacement. I've heared a lot of good and bad thing about this box and it almost made it into my selection. My signal chain was guitar -> DI -> Mic preamp of an ESI ESP 1010e.

Thanks, I'll check it out.. :)

Hmmm..
I decided to test the DI-Box to Mixer.. again..
Here's the result (Mp3 and Wav): http://min.us/mbcZM0fcpG

The SNR ain't bad, is it?
I didn't use any pad on the DI either.. and I even used Phantompower (which adds some noise) to power the DI..

I swear that it's been noiser before..
The test is made with my guitar that has passive pickups..
Maybe the earlier tests were med with my guitar that has active pickups.. and that gave more noise..
Hopefully it'll work with the one with active pups too, don't have it here right now so I can't try..

So I made a new test clip but with the MIC200, using it as a DI, connecting it directly to Line in on my 1010LT..

There's both mp3 and Wav:
http://min.us/mW418XkZS

Sounds better/worse?
Thanks for the input!
It helps me make the best (on my budget) choice for recording..

Turn down the preamp gain to zero, turn off the pads.

Ah, that was when going straight to the mic-level XLR inputs on the 1010LT (internal soundcard) so it has no preamp gain.. :S
Without the pads enabled it would be pure distortion.. :D

But please do tell me what you think of the DI+Mixer clip Vs. the MIC200 as a DI clip I've posted in two different replies in the thread..!
I'd appreaciate your input Ahjteam (and y'all too!)

I think you should stop worrying so much about it :)

Just pick whatever method sounds better to your own ears and use a properly set noisegate before and/or after the ampsim.

I think you should stop worrying so much about it :)

Just pick whatever method sounds better to your own ears and use a properly set noisegate before and/or after the ampsim.

Haha, yeah.. it's almost a classic:
-What do you guys think?
-Well, what do YOU think?

It's just that I'll be recording both pickups at the same time..
I have the MIC200 and also the DI-100..
But I'm thinking of concistency and so I'm thinking of getting either another DI-100 or a MIC200.. (instead of using the two I have)

Now I'm leaning towards getting MIC200.. That way I could use it as a preamp for stereo-miking..
So.. your input on the sound is important.. :)
Another pair of ears!

Focusrite Saffire 6 (165€, USB) or Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 (185€, Firewire) or Line6 UX2 (166€, USB, includes Pod Farm)

I guess you don't even need a DI with the Saffire?
Awesome tip man.. maybe I do need to get one..
Damn.. :D
At least for recording guitars..
Though I use several of the 1010LT inputs..