The Diary of Jane cover (Breaking Benjamin)

Jotun25

Apr 27, 2010
Sevilla, Spain
www.jotunstudio.es
Hi again.

Here I bring you a cover for Breaking Benjamin´s Diary Of Jane.

I have played guitar and bass, sang and programmed drums. All has been recorded, mixed and mastered by me.

You can listen to it in youtube:

Or (better quality):

http://www.hispasonicos.com/musica/the-diary-of-jane-breaking-benjamin-cover/35730

(There, you click in the upper left corner "reproducir" and a pop out player will show)

The equipment used has been the following:

- LTD K500 guitar with EMG 81 (B) and 60 (N) using 59-13 gauge
- MTD bass guitar
- Cubase SX 2 for recording and mixing
- Wavelab 5 for mastering
- Focusrite Saffire as sound card
- Audio Technica AT 4040 for voice and acoustic guitars
- EZDrummer with Nashville expansion kit
- Cubase plugins and others like PSP Vintage Warmer or BBS Sonic Maximizer
- Event TR8 monitors and AT MH50 headphones

Hope you like it.

Last edited by a moderator:
awesome song, nice cover!
vocals could be stronger but hey,
it's reallyhard to sound as good as mr. burnley.
you did a very good job!:headbang::kickass:

haha love this song! Very good instrumental cover drums sound great doesnt sound like ezdrummer..
to my ears to make this song perfect: vocally see if you can put less strain on your voice in the verses, smooth the verses out a bit more, and stack the hell out of the vocals...the original has quite a bit of vocal stacking and atmosphere. but I give you a big thumbs up great cover!

Very good cover man ! i love this song and you've done a good work.

I think you nail the sound for clean, saturated guitars and bass. guitars are well played.

The only thing i notice is the voice... it's well sung, and i like your voice, but the vocals processing is too dry... if i were you i would try to add some atmosphere on it by adding some reverb or delay...

And for the master, i hear clipping... but i'm in work and i have cheap sound... i'll listen at home to confirm or not.

This is awesome. The cymbals seem just a cunt hair loud to me. Don't take any offense to this, but your accent almost makes me laugh when I hear this track...overall nice job.

Hey, thanks for all your comments! And, Tri, nice to see you here too! Seems we go to the same pages :p

I agree that vocals are the weakest point in this track, because it´s very hard to sing as Ben Burnley (he has a relatively high range, at least higher than mine). It has reverb and delay, but maybe I should process them in a different way or mix them a little higher. And for the accent, English is not my native language, but...does it really sounds so funny or awful?

For the cymbals, maybe I mixed them a bit higher than I usually do, but I liked the result.

And as you are asking for tracks to mix, the only thing I can do is separate the tracks, but guitar and bass aren´t dry. They are processed through Pod XT so I can have them with the distortion and eq I apply...If it´s okay with you, tell me a place where I can upload them (I´ve made a rar file and it´s almost 1 Giga) and I´ll let you know, so you can mix it and play with it.

I agree that vocals are the weakest point in this track, because it´s very hard to sing as Ben Burnley (he has a relatively high range, at least higher than mine). It has reverb and delay, but maybe I should process them in a different way or mix them a little higher. And for the accent, English is not my native language, but...does it really sounds so funny or awful?

No, the vocal performance is good and the voice is good too.it's only a processing pb. it's hard to sing as Ben Burley but for me you're close.

For the accent, it's not awful as i'm french and french people are known to have a weird accent in english.

so it's clear, your english accent is not very good... but listen Serj Tankian and you will notice that his english is not academic.

Maybe add one or two track and vocalign to increase the power of the vocals... i don't know...

i love it!! very well done, love the track and love this cover. send us the tracks!!! try and get some more layers of vocals for us to play with too! overall very well played! great stuff!! did you just program the drums alongside the origional? or did you just start by ear? was it done to a click?

And as you are asking for tracks to mix, the only thing I can do is separate the tracks, but guitar and bass aren´t dry. They are processed through Pod XT so I can have them with the distortion and eq I apply.

Oh, that´s a bummer. I was interested on the DIs, but thank you very much for the offer!

ps: The accent doesn´t bother me at all. But I don´t speak english anyway ; )

Mmm, and I thought I was one of the best English-speaking of the people I know...:D

I´ll try to clean the tracks I have in my Cubase project, export the MIDI drums, and rar it, so I can upload to any hosting service. Do you know one that can store around 1 Giga?

Jezprs. The drums were programmed initially by ear, but I realized the way they sound in the original song fits it very very much, so I tried to duplicate them although not exactly, to let it have a "fresh" sound. I use Cubase metronome, yes.

Narcossintese, sorry, but I don´t have DIs of any of my recordings, as I don´t use software emulation, but hardware.

Thanks, Kev! The vocalist (and guitarist and bassist) is me. I tried not to mess the song up, but there are certain parts that are quite difficult to nail for me.

By the way, you being English: does it sound so wrong my accent? Please, tell me the truth, as I´m a bit concerned about it :D

Accent is fine, it brings more character to your voice! you dont want it to sound identical! just a little flat on some notes but as already mentioned he has a higher range. overall very good! :kickass:

Love it, Jotun. Regarding your accent: Yes, one can hear you're not a native speaker, but fuck that - you make up with good singing. I suppose thats what it would sound like if the "Heroes Del Silencio" would make a cover of that song.