Recording, mixing and mastering Warrel Dane´s Let You Down

Jotun25

Apr 27, 2010
Sevilla, Spain
www.jotunstudio.es
Hi, I´m new in the forum and I´d like you to tell me your opinion of this cover I´ve recorded:

Here you have the link to youtube:

And for better quality audio, you can go here:

http://www.hispasonicos.com/musica/let-you-down-completa-warrel-dane-cover/34980

There, you click in the upper left corner "reproducir" and a pop out player will show.

It´s from Warrel´s solo album, and it´s one of my favorite songs of it (though I love every song).

I have played guitar and bass, sang and programmed drums. All has been recorded, mixed and mastered by me.

The equipment used has been the following:

- LTD K500 guitar with EMG 81 (B) and 60 (N) using 59-13 gauge.
- MTD bass guitar
- Cubase SX 2 for recording and mixing
- Wavelab 5 for mastering
- Focusrite Saffire as sound card
- Audio Technica AT 4040 for voice and acoustic guitars
- EZDrummer with Nashville expansion kit
- Cubase plugins and others like PSP Vintage Warmer or BBS Sonic Maximizer
- Event TR8 monitors and AT MH50 headphones

Looking forward to your comments and hope you like it.

P.S: Sorry for my English, as I´m Spanish, so I can make some mistakes...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds good. I also love this song.

Your voice has a very Borknagar quality to it. Unique. Sometimes sounds out of tune, but then it turns around and sounds good.

Thank you very much! This is a great song, isn´t it?

I know that sometimes I´m out of tune, but I don´t want to use Autotune or similar and fake things. I try to show what I can play and sing, nothing more :)

Glad you liked it.

Zakky, the guitar chain is LTD K-500-> POD XT Live (using Criminal, a simulation for Peavey 5150) -> Focusrite Saffire -> PC. Thanks and glad you liked it.

Thanks also to you, Nuno Filipe, but what do you mean by honky? Maybe too medium frequencies?

Hey, thanks for listening to it and leaving some comments.

StormingHeaven: Glad you like it! Thanks.

Muckypup1: Thank you very much. I´ve listened to the song a thousand times, and knew it very well. Only had to spend a couple of afternoons to try to figure it all out. I´m very glad you liked the singing also.

Nuno Filipe: It could work, but I like mids to sound well in the songs, so they don´t sound too "thin". Anyway, I´ll try to cut them a little bit. Thanks!

Thank you very much! This is a great song, isn´t it?

I know that sometimes I´m out of tune, but I don´t want to use Autotune or similar and fake things. I try to show what I can play and sing, nothing more :)

Glad you liked it.

I really do like the vocals. It has a very unique characteristic as I mentioned before like Alice in Chains or Borknagar. Again good job!

Also dude, I was wondering if you would like to do some guest vocals on a rock/metal music project I'm doing at the moment? I was impressed by your vocals man!

Just handle me the music, let me listen to it and I´ll tell you if I like it, but initially I will be very pleased to do so! Will you give me lyrics and a melody line?

Glad you liked my vocals!

I've got one song completely recorded, and one that i'm writing now, I can PM you a link to the recorded one. I don't have lyrics written yet though, would you be able to write them, or should I write some?

Nuno Filipe: It could work, but I like mids to sound well in the songs, so they don´t sound too "thin". Anyway, I´ll try to cut them a little bit. Thanks!

I like the same but you can have a good midrange without sounds boxy. You can cut a little in the midrange and use a saturator to give more mids. Because the saturator doesnt pull honkyness or that boxyness sound. ;)

I've got one song completely recorded, and one that i'm writing now, I can PM you a link to the recorded one. I don't have lyrics written yet though, would you be able to write them, or should I write some?

Sure, PM me a link or send me to my email the song, whatever you want.

As you´re English, I´d prefer you to write the lyrics. If not, I can try to write them, but you should correct me, ok?

Is there any melody line for vocals?

I like the same but you can have a good midrange without sounds boxy. You can cut a little in the midrange and use a saturator to give more mids. Because the saturator doesnt pull honkyness or that boxyness sound. ;)

Ok, thanks for the advice. I´ll try soon the tip you´re giving me!