The download debate thread.

@marduk: here they use a similar campaign: "Piracy kills music".
i find this extremely offensive to everything the word "piracy" means. :( :p

and btw, this campaign here mostly has to do with poor guys selling copied cds. that's were companies lose from in this country, since we're pretty backwards and fast connections are something very few people have. with 56K connections it would actually cost less to go buy the goddamn album. but many ppl buy the copied cds, mainly due to the cost. any company that thinks people who have to struggle to get by each month will go and hand out 20-25 euros for a simple cd are fucked up in the head. the only thing everyone here agrees to is: "companies, lower the cd prices".
that said, i've never bought a copied cd, i've downloaded a few and bought more (esp the ones i know i'll like because i've heard them/part of them before), and that's why i'm always stuck with old and very little music.

marduk1507 said:
@hyena: Im sorry, Im too lazy to read those things. But on the other hand, you posted the links and said something about failing to attend those workshops, but you havent expressed your opinion on this matter. Yeah, I know, its probably in those papers, but Im here to discuss things with people, not to read someone elses papers on stuff. Sorry, but I find posts like the last one from you a bit ridiculous. Just let everybody discuss things the way they want and please dont discuss the discussing. This wasnt meant to offend you in any way, I hope you understand. :)

Said papers proof almost beyond doubt how downloading has no impact on record sales whatsoever so it is important that you at least read the methodology and the conclusions. Otherwise all you're arguments are completly unfounded.

oh, i have quite a long-winded opinion on the subject. maybe i'll post it tonight. from the little i've read thus far - of other people's posts - i'm in agreement with misanthrope that there is rarely a detectable loss of money on the part of the copyright holder.

Misanthrope said:
Said papers proof almost beyond doubt how downloading has no impact on record sales whatsoever so it is important that you at least read the methodology and the conclusions. Otherwise all you're arguments are completly unfounded.

i haven't read the papers (yet), but i have a feeling it might differ depending on which country you look at. in sweden, where fast internet connections are very common, the record sales have gone down qiute a lot lately and it should, one might think, depend on something.

i'm all pro-downloading, though.

I keep hearing record sales are down alot, but its my opinion that cd prices are up alot and that the mainstream music is well, just plain crap and the quality keeps getting worst with more ridiculous generic shit, not to mention economical factors.

What bothers me is that none of this is usually considered as a factible reason anymore because of the disinformation campain the RIAA and MPAA has done with downloading.

Misanthrope said:
I keep hearing record sales are down alot, but its my opinion that cd prices are up alot and that the mainstream music is well, just plain crap and the quality keeps getting worst with more ridiculous generic shit, not to mention economical factors.

indeed. but still there are, obviously, a lot of people who like the music. the popularity of the swedish versions (yes, plural) of american idol is quite amazing... so the "plain crap" argument would be easier to buy if the mainstream audience seemed to agree on it being plain crap.

also, i quite often see genuinely puzzled reactions like "buy an album? why would i do that, when i can download it for free?".

Misanthrope said:
What bothers me is that none of this is usually considered as a factible reason anymore because of the disinformation campain the RIAA and MPAA has done with downloading.

i think both sides in this debate generally are too "unaware" of anything that would speak against their point of view.

@marduk: of course no offense taken. :) i'm probably biased because of my job, a tendency towards thinking that questions like 'is the market hurt by downloading?' have to be answered with scientifically proven facts - the literature on the topic is still nascent so these facts are still a bit shaky and i think some of those papers would benefit from a sounder game-theoretic backgrounds... ehm, sorry, i didn't really want to get all technical on you.

opinions, on the other hand, matter for policymaking decisions - questions like 'do we want to create incentives or not for this behavior?', based on an assessment of social utility...

i am a bit pressed for time now but will state my opinion as to why downloading should stay.