"The Edge of Forever" and "Communion and the Oracle"

Gonfeldurok

Slayer of the n00bs
Dec 13, 2003
Saugus, MA, USA
Are the Beginnings of "The Edge of Forever" and "Communion and the Oracle" supposed to sound very much the same?

I didn't know if it was supposed to have some sort of intertwining theme or whatnot, but I figured not, seeing as they are on two different albums.

Also, is this point brought up frequently?

Someone brought that up a long time ago. I don't remember where is the thread, though. If you listen carefully you'll notice that The Edge Of forever, Communion, The Accolade and the Accolade II have some similarities in the melodies.

Yeah, I remember being confused the first time I saw them before I heard Communion.

I was like "Woah this Accolade's weird."

I look back on that with great shame haha.

I don't think TEOF and Communion sound anything alike at the beginning. Now, the Accolade and Communion, that's another story. Of course, once you get through the guitar alone, it becomes totally different.

Very true, very true...

My friend hasn't heard Communion yet...and I know the second he does he'll buy like every Symphony X album. So I played him the beginning, and he wanted to know, so I told him I didn't know.

A week later, I'm like "It was Accolade."

Problem is, he has that song downloaded.

Fuck!

At first, I thought the beginning to Through the Looking Glass sounded like DT's Surrounded, only with a couple extra notes. I'm not saying it's a ripoff or anything, and I don't believe it is, I just thought they sounded similar. :)

They do sound similar, although they aren't exactly the same. And once the drums and bass come in on TTLG it is plainly obvious it's a totally different song. I've actually heard people try to argue that SyX "ripped off" Dream Theater because of that one, tiny little riff. What a joke!

Haha, this is too awesome!
I finally bought The Damnation Game 2 days ago (35$, wtf?!) and that similarity also stroke me. So I come here to post (or find a post) about it and I find this... posted by GonGon Redfield! (hi!) Haha!

So yeah, I'm not crazy after all.

Here's a chat pertaining the matter that I had when I just bought the cd:

Kain
I bought an old Symphony X cd

Kain
shit, it's pricy

BornInCrimson
CDs are too expensive

Kain
hopefully it's got some goodness

Kain
Well, usually they are in the 12 to 20 bucks

Kain
that wouldn't be that bad. but this one was expensive

BornInCrimson
more than 20?

Kain
more than 30

BornInCrimson
wtf

Kain
yes

BornInCrimson
why?

Kain
don't know

Kain
it's their first album

Kain
maybe the label or something

BornInCrimson
it better be good for that price

BornInCrimson
maybe

Kain
or import http://www.songsearch.com/catalog/s/symphony_x.html

Kain
yeah

BornInCrimson
those are way too expensive

Kain
yeah

Kain
but it doesn't look import

Kain
but our stuffs is pricier than the US by default

BornInCrimson
ahh true

Kain
so I guess it's not as bad

BornInCrimson
cuz the canadian dollar is like, pennies

Kain
yeah

Kain
and the us dollar is like, penises

BornInCrimson
haha

BornInCrimson
yeah I've got a big wad of penises in my pocket

Kain
oh, and it's not even the first SyX album, it's the second. Ah well.

BornInCrimson
are you listening to it yet?

Kain
yeah, I am now.

BornInCrimson
is it good?

Kain
Not bad. But this song playing now, it's weird because it got's some musical ideas that are in a more recent SyX song, like if they just retook the musical ideas and better it.

Kain
Oh shit,

Kain
yeah, there are some really sweet parts

BornInCrimson
ah well thats good

BornInCrimson
they probably looked at the riffs earlier and said "shit, we can do that better"

Kain
Yeah.

Kain
And that they are song that they won't play anymore but they like some musical ideas used, so to not waste them.

BornInCrimson
yeah that is good