The end of Slayer?

"Well, there have been remarks made about seeing an old man head-bang," laughs Araya. "And I have to agree. I think the Stones can do that, probably go out and do their stuff in their 80s, but it just wouldn't look right [for us], you know what I mean?

I understand that whole "quit while your ahead" philosophy that Araya is putting out here, but I just feel that if the Stones (who all look like 40 miles of bad road at this point and IMO haven't put out anything really amazing since Tattoo You, although I do remember liking some stuff on Voodoo Lounge) can still get out there and perform, than other great bands (like Slayer) should not just throw in the towel once they reached a certain age or point in their career - not for the sake of money or fame, but for the love of music and the fans.

As long as you are still out there having fun and putting on a good performance for your fans, who cares how old you are? I understand once a band has reached a certain level of respect or a certain quality with their music, they might feel that their ability to produce something better with each new album is a little more difficult and not worth tarnishing the excellent reputation and status they have created for themselves. But if they are still able to perform the material they feel proud of - I say go for it. Although I know there will always be those folks who will be upset with a band for calling it quits with their writing. I guess I just saying if my options are never see a band perform or produce material again vs. see a great band continue to perform, but never write again - well, then I can accept a band that only tours.

Yah, you bring up the rolling stones, but ... look at Ozzy at the other end of the spectrum. Sure, he's doing it because the Warchief makes him, but it's pathetic to see him out there with a teleprompter, forgetting where he is and what he's doing between every song.

It is going to come to a point where Slayer may HAVE to retire. The type of metal they play will slow with age. Why do you think a band like Iron Maiden, a band that virtually COMMANDS an "Evening with..." single act spectacular, tours with one or two openers in tow? Would you rather Tom Araya embarass himself playing like an old man in ten years?

I've also heard that Manson's performance was subpar (and shortened), but that's a different issue. :heh:

I don't know how much his show has changed since I saw him live on the Mechanical Animals tour, but let me tell you, he is one fucking hell of an entertainer. That was one of the most fun shows I've been too.

I saw them a couple of months ago in Tucson, I think Unleashed opened for them. The band looked pretty solid although I don't know what was going through Hanneman's head that some of the solos were totally different from the CD, he looked pretty much stoned.

I guess they have come to an end... :erk:

I don't know how much his show has changed since I saw him live on the Mechanical Animals tour, but let me tell you, he is one fucking hell of an entertainer. That was one of the most fun shows I've been too.

Cool, I'd heard the same thing ('great show/performer') from others.....but also that Manson got pissed, left the stage early, left the rest of his band in a lurch, etc. Weird.

Cool, I'd heard the same thing ('great show/performer') from others.....but also that Manson got pissed, left the stage early, left the rest of his band in a lurch, etc. Weird.

Can't say. I left early. But the crowd seemed to really be into things in Atlanta. If he got pissed I have no idea what it would have been about.

I saw them a couple of months ago in Tucson, I think Unleashed opened for them. The band looked pretty solid although I don't know what was going through Hanneman's head that some of the solos were totally different from the CD, he looked pretty much stoned.

I guess they have come to an end... :erk:

Don't get me wrong I've been a big fan of Slayer since the early days BUT did you expect Hanneman's solos to representative of what's on the albums? He has his moments but I never expect him to be a precise guitar player. That isn't what Slayer is about. Pick a key Jeff :lol: Personally I would be really bummed if Slayer split up. They are legends IMHO...