the EPIC nevermore thread.

RETIREDTrapped

New Metal Member
Sep 12, 2001
Cool. So, i'm gunna analyze something, intelligent stuff.

Something that has always intreagued me, is Beyond Within, and what exactly it has to do with the storyline of Dreaming Neon Black.

It actually reminds me of some of the lyrics from Into the Mirror Black, in particular Future Tense, the lines "What do you see on the news when you watch T.V., a war in the name of God, or a playground killing spree", it reminds me of the "Another suicide shocks the world again" passage in Beyond within. Having a go at the media for sensationalization, while also showing the world is a sick, perverted, bastard of a bad and not nice hellish place.

In relation to the rest of DNB, it really doesn't tie into the story... untill i started to think of it as a precurser to the storyteller's state of mind by the end of the tale, his hate for the world, and yet his relentless struggle on and on. "Welcome Millennium" also reminds me of Future tense, in particular "So ends a decade now what will the nineties hold", a look forward, an excitement towards what will come, relentless optimist if you will.

But past this initial optimist, there is a tone of bitterness towards the human race, and it's actions. "From the consequence of ignorance" plays a big part in this, as if saying "Well, you've kindof ruined my future, you dumb asses".

"Welcome to the fall of one man's sanity" That line has always been an eye opener for me... like an introduction to the album, the story "Welcome to the fall of my sanity, and it goes like this:" basically, as if telling the reader and listener what to expect.

Now, THE most intersting thing in the lyrics is "Create the past, nonexistent fables', i've never quite been able to work out wether that is a stab at religion, or a stab at historical biggotry and fanatisism. It's a damn cool line to use, albeit a little confusing.

Then we come to Poe style Warrel Dane-isms, "Can I lift you up into the dreaming trip surreal?", very cool, reminds me of 42147, the "Fluid Dreams" passage, almost like it is connecting the two albums, or maybe the two songs in a way. They both refer to a passage and opening of the mind, and lets face it, both songs fucking rule! :lol:

"Do you know my name, do you know my number?" Another line that confuses me, does he refer to number as in phone number, or is he going into the "Fear Factory-isms", in that we are all becomeing a number, that we to some extent all contain a bar code, like a social security number.

"Cracking under strange constrictions, Mr. Ordinary Visionary", this line struck me as very odd, in terms of WD's usual phrasing, especially for the first song on the next post-POE album. It seemed odd, untill i read it a few more times, and now i think it just plain rules, a stab at the mainstream i guess, "anything out the ordinary, and you will crack".

"Welcome to the fall of one man's sanity"

Damn Straight :headbang:

DNB is pretty much about that woman who disappeared, and how warrel was effected by it....

not sure how to explain it....if its either about that "cult" the woman joined....from the cult's view or warrel's....but thats what I get from it....

....all in all its a bad ass song whether or not we understand what exactly warrel is talkin about....

maybe it'd be clearer if we took excessive amounts of drugs while listening to the music or reading his lyrics :D

Yes, i am quite aware of the concept of Dreaming Neon Black. :)

...But Beyond Within doesn't fit into it, from my perspective.

:) didn't mean to point out the concept....i'm one of those point out the obvious types of idiots....heh

i guess its just an idea of what to expect from the album....

his pain, his anger, his apathetic feelings to the outside world.

...again i point out the obvious

he he... "The Burning Darkness - King of the obvious" :lol:

he he, it's cool dude, at least someone replied to my absolute mass of jumbled postings anyway :lol:

i hate this name...heh it was a temp thing just so i could post something real quick about....a month or so back....i feel i should change it.......when i chose it i looked to see what was in my mp3 player at the time...whaddya know, its At The Gates...heh

perhaps the album is meant to be a flashback, with Beyond Within being the present, where he's losing his sanity, then he recalls what brought him to that point over the next many songs, then at the end it comes back to the present and finishes the story. It's also a fairly common narrative technique in plays to give the general point of the story before delving into it, so that way you know where the story is leading and have an idea of what is going on.

Yeah, that's exactly what i mean, with the 'precurser' comment, that it is written in the point after 'forver' ....

This is getting way too deep for me! I never studied DNB as much as I should have. I promise to do so in the near future. I think the whole "Do you know my number?" quip is like "I've got your number!" like "Time to die, loser!" I don't know, that's how I always saw it.

Warrel is forever my hero with his anti-mainstream attitude. If only the sad sellouts knew how cool this guy and his band are.... I feel his sorrow about "The fall of planet hate" of course. It inspires me to know that such a peculiar being can create such beautiful poetry.

One more thing: "create the past" is about Christianity and other conquering organiztions who thought it would be cool if they re-wrote history. Fucking pathetic worms.

Dammit, the riff for Beyond just makes me headbang as hard as friggin possible. These guys have a knack for that shit! :headbang:

i never saw it the way you saw it...i always thought that DNB was some kind of endless story...i think so cause it ends with the beginning (she's been wating for you).

all in all DNB is strongly influenced by shakespear and i guess warrel has read some plays before he wrote the lyrics for it.

it is an element of tragedies that the tragedy cannot be prevented by actors (only divine intervention could do so...). warrel is atheist, go figure. what reminded me of that general tragedy concept is the line before no more will: "for some there are no choices".

i dont think you can talk about the "Another suicide shocks the world again" - line without looking into the next one "i watch in apathy"...i think it just shows that "time has no meaning" for the teller and neither has the world any meaning.

i also always thought that "create the past, nonexistent fables" is neither about religion nor historical biggotry and fanatisism. i thought it was about the 'lyrical I' itself. my guess is that warrel talks about memory that betraythe person and give wrong images to yourself...

david

i dont think you can talk about the "Another suicide shocks the world again" - line without looking into the next one "i watch in apathy"...i think it just shows that "time has no meaning" for the teller and neither has the world any meaning.

Yeah, good point... Apathetically watching the world hype it's demise...

i also always thought that "create the past, nonexistent fables" is neither about religion nor historical biggotry and fanatisism. i thought it was about the 'lyrical I' itself. my guess is that warrel talks about memory that betraythe person and give wrong images to yourself...

That's very intersting point... in fact, that's possibly the most intreaguing thing anyone has said about it, that "your mind creates it's own interperetation"... cool stuff...

I've noticed some other connections between Sanctuary's Into the Mirror Black and Nevermore's DNB;they were the same ones that you all noticed.And I've created some of my own.Remember that story that I was telling you all about?The one I was writing that was sort of a combination of "The Mirror Black" and most of the songs off of DNB?Yeah,I fabricated all of that,but the story(both parts)turned out pretty good.

Originally posted by [KOTNO]Narrot
i guessed the intro was a rescue helicopter and then one of the things to measure heart activity (how do you call it in english??)...the person dying was 'she'

It's actually a recording of a train...!

And the voices are from a movie... WD described the intro as demons coming to earth, hence the sound of the train, taking away the human soul, and dragging it back down to hell... something along those lines...

And the voices are from a movie... WD described the intro as demons coming to earth, hence the sound of the train, taking away the human soul, and dragging it back down to hell... something along those lines... [/B]

Most excellent, i never heard that b4.

My theories on some of the passages you mentioned Trapped (although i think alot of it has already been said)

"Another suicide shocks the world again" most definintely has to be tied in with "i watch in apathy" as Narrot pointed out. However, i don't quite think that his has to do with "time having no meaning" as narrot said. 'tis my belief you're reading a bit much into it. IMO it's more a biting sacrastic line at "another tragedy, another life lost, who gives a fuck? not me" kinda thing. The storyteller watches it all with a grim grin on his face, and a feeling of superiority, "you all are affected by these things, not I"

As for the predominating "Welcome, Millenium" line, it's my opinion that he percieves himself as the bringer of change. Earlier in Poison Godmachine, he says "i am the new drug, your poision godmachine" as if he is infecting people with his poisionous ideas, perhaps he is saying that what he has done will forever change the world and bring the new millenium. Kinda like Kevin Spacey in the movie 7, talking about how what he has done will be talked about forever, just a thought

"create the past, non-exsistent fables" i think Narrot hit the nail on the head with this one. The storyteller is creating memories and fables in his own mind. But if this is the case, the question is why? why create the past? One can make the point that this song takes place moments b4/or at the time of death. maybe all of DNB never happened, and all that the album speaks about is really just a frantic dream created by his subconscious (which has been known to happend, random thoughts and strange things said at the death bed), and the life that flashed b4 his eyes wasn't really his own which he realizes as he passes on....woah. (i doubt that's right, i more agree with Narrot, but wouldn't THAT be a skull fuck)

Alright, i'm done with my rambling, hope i cleared or muddied things up for you people, or maybe done nothing at all, either way it was fun :D

Originally posted by QuothTheRaven
"create the past, non-exsistent fables" i think Narrot hit the nail on the head with this one. The storyteller is creating memories and fables in his own mind. But if this is the case, the question is why? why create the past?

you create images of the past because the past is incomplete. if a moment was pleasureful you will remember it even more pleasureful, if it was unpleasant, you will remember it even more unpleasant. you never remember everything. the part of it (whatever it is, may it be music, a person whatever) that seemed to be the most important completes the rest you've forgotten.

i am sure the dnb story did not happen that way warrel describes it. it's always a subjectiv point of view. and talking about emotions (and dnb is about emotions) is even more distorting compared to "the truth"...whatever truth is...

trapped's point>> it does not sound like a train to me....but anyway, you mentioned that the voice is quoting shakespeare (even if it's changed a bit)...the shakespeare coherences of DNB are about the coolest stuff i've ever heard about nevermore...

(i'd wish nevermore would be a german band with german lyrics...then i could discuss more about it but i lack some english vocbulary...)

david

trapped's point>> it does not sound like a train to me....but anyway, you mentioned that the voice is quoting shakespeare (even if it's changed a bit)...the shakespeare coherences of DNB are about the coolest stuff i've ever heard about nevermore...

He actually said it was a train in an interview... :)

Yeah, agreed. DNB is brilliant lyrically... strange references and stuff.