The Faceless - Akeldama

waif

Sep 7, 2007
Montreal
Before getting this, I'd heard Pestilence and I had thought it was totally fucking awesome, because it is. So I had high hopes for the album. The first disappointment came when I discovered it was a mere 30 minutes in length. But that wouldn't have been a problem, if said 30 minutes had been filled with great melodic technical riffing. Instead they were filled with annoying, inconsistent wankery. I knew there would be wankery, of course, but I didn't realize just how much it would interfere with the music. Instead of having a dedicated "wank section" on each song to show off in, they just do it whenever they feel like. Thus, you'll start getting into a riff when suddenly it'll be replaced by some annoying 2-second sweep, a quick blast beat, and then another riff. The best parts on the album are the 10 second stretches of decent riffing, in which these guys sound like a bad version of The Black Dahlia Murder (the last song's lyrics read like a poor translation of Closed Casket Requiem). There are a couple decent songs on here; Pestilence is awesome, of course, and An Autopsy and All Dark Graves are pretty solid songs where the wankery doesn't get too overbearing. If you check, you'll notice these are the first 3 songs of the album. After that, you'll be waiting for it to end. The only song on here really worth the trouble is Pestilence; I would suggest downloading that on iTunes or something and not bothering with the rest.

There are too many bands out there doing this. Beneath the Massacre, Dillinger Escape Plan, PsyOpus, etc. Sleep Terror and Blotted Science are the only ones like that that I like. Mainly because they have ridiculously awesome parts. Anyway, I don't see why bands add retarded things every couple seconds like that, they will never top Behold... the Arctopus

I just picked this album up the other day. I thought Planetary Duality was outstanding, so I was hoping Akeldama would be more of the same. I was kind of disappointed- to me, the only good song is the (instrumental) title track. I'd say get Planetary Duality, the songwriting is much, much better.