The Film's of William Friedkin: Discussion & Analysis

This is William Friedkin's directorial debut, up on YouTube. Quality is a bit ropey.

Again on YouTube, the full movie of The Birthday Party.

Trailer for The Night They Raided Minsky's

Trailer for The Boys in the Band

Trailer for The French Connection

Previously banned trailer for The Exorcist

Trailer for Sorcerer

Trailer for The Brink's Job

Trailer for Cruising

Trailer for Deal of the Century

Trailer for To Live and Die in L.A.

Trailer for Rampage

Trailer for The Guardian

Trailer for Blue Chips

Trailer for Jade

Trailer for Rules of Engagement

Trailer for The Hunted

Trailer for Bug

Trailer for Killer Joe

Trailer for The Devil and Father Amorth

I haven't done one of those in ages, cheers for the reminder. You probably didn't notice because you have him ignored but the last dump was by Blurry. There were multiple trailers for the same movies and half the trailers were those shitty fan-made "concept" trailers lol.

i saw your response to that and clicked it out of curiosity. a horrifyingly brain-breakingly shit post, i expect no less from that demented fucktard.

yikes, maybe it is my time of the month

Reactions: CiG
i know bug has a cult following these days, since nobody’s mentioned it. @Oblivious Maximus could probably elaborate on that since i haven’t seen it.
Funnily enough Freidkin himself recently tweeted out a new article celebrating Bug. More and more of the sort keep popping up which is a great thing, of course. Judd and Shannon are fucking molten. Amazing movie.

no country for old wainds said:
i didn't even realise he’s been making movies since the early ‘60s, can anyone shed any light on the pre-sorcerer stuff?
The Birthday Party is excellent. Pinter even wrote the screenplay.

Reactions: CiG and AbelTim
It's 80's as fuck. Hits on common tropes of the period like buddy cop, femme fatale, sleazy villain, car chases, scorching new wave soundtrack. Sits comfortably alongside stuff like Nighthawks and Cobra. It might be cheesy but it's the best kind of cheese.

Reactions: AbelTim
What do you people think of Cruising? It got a lot of hate when it was being filmed and when released from the gay community at the time. I think the mainstream gay community at the time mistakenly thought that the film was perpetuating negative stereotypes. The fact is, the leather club scenes were filmed in actual clubs.
Wiki quote - "The Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) originally gave Cruising an X rating. Friedkin claims he took the film before the MPAA board "50 times" at a cost of $50,000 and deleted 40 minutes of footage from the original cut before he secured an R rating. The deleted footage, according to Friedkin, consisted entirely of footage from the clubs in which portions of the film were shot and consisted of "[a]bsolutely graphic sexuality...that material showed the most graphic homosexuality with Pacino watching, and with the intimation that he may have been participating."
It is based on a serial murder case at the time - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Bateson. This guy was a suspect in a series of murders. The whole saga is pretty murky.