The Fine Art of Committing "MySpace Suicide" for bands!

BlackRoseMetalHeart

Metal Mistress
Feb 4, 2006
Baltimore, MD - USA
www.myspace.com
Those of you who are friends with me on Facebook may have already seen this, but I thought it was a pretty accurate and insightful editorial piece so I wanted to share this with as many people as possible.

A friend of mine and fellow PP forum member Dustin of Katagory V recently posted this in his Notes section on Facebook. It is the perfect summation of everything I have thought or felt about MySpace for about the last 2-3 years. I can't remember the last time I logged on there for my personal account and I dread logging in there for the Flight of the Valkyries' page when I need to make updates. It is truly just a vapid wasteland of bands feeding off of other bands and spamming every page they can.

I really felt that Dustin's note was worth posting as many places as possible because if more people read it, maybe they will begin to understand the damage they are doing to themselves (if they are in a band) and the music scene with these bots and friend collecting tools on social networking sites. The music industry has become so watered-down and it needs to stop. (Not that I think this one editorial is going to stop the dilution of the music industry, but I think people speaking out against it is a start. I'm actually tempted to try out the method of "MySpace Suicide" that Dustin describes below on my own MySpace page ... that is if I ever log in there again.)

Eventually good, hard-working, dedicated bands that take their music and the marketing of it seriously are going to realize what Dustin says here is true. It is more important to have a well-maintained REAL website with a real mailing list and real forum for fan interaction, than focusing all their efforts on collecting false numbers of "fans" through these alternative social networking sites. The networking sites may be additional avenues to reach new potential fans, but they should not be the end-all-be-all of a band's existence or the determining gauge for any band's success.

Anyway, happy reading ... :Shedevil:

Dustin said:
MySpace, the once illustrious and infamous website that ushered in a new era of social networking amongst the people of planet earth, and giving bands and artists a voice, has quickly become the bane of it’s own existence due to the free market of musicians flooding in and taking advantage of a site that allows free hosting for their music, pictures, bio, email lists… the works. With many other social networking sites popping up, like Facebook or Twitter, and for tailored-to-artist sites like Reverbnation and Signmeto.com, it was inevitable that someone else would come up with a better, more refined way to host social networking for artists, and force “Tom” to bring his A-game for individual “people” to stick around. Sadly, he has not.

With that being said, I have decided it was time to commit MySpace suicide. Let me preface that statement by mentioning I have never had a personal MySpace page, only the one that was operated under the band I play in. And it is this band page I speak of that is being used as the example. I considered at one brief moment in time, in creating a personal account for myself on MySpace long ago, but after taking over our bands MySpace page, I could see that the lack of quality control, terrible coding issues that are easily exploited, page crashes, terrible search engine and preferences (if you have over 5,000 friends, forget it!) and the constant and relentless spamming from glory hounds (i.e. wanna-be bands, actors, comedians, models) that it would be a terrible mistake in me doing so.

Day after day, our band receives 20-30 messages and/or comments on average from other bands or artists asking us (in this case, me since I run it) to “Check out our new single on iTunes!”, “Vote for us so we can get signed to Roadrunner!”, “New songs posted on our page, let us know what you think!”, “Come to our show!”, “Join our mailing list!”, in a nut shell, it’s just a whole lot of “LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME!” from artist/bands with no notability and with no ambition to even really try, because it’s really easy to be a snake oil salesman when all you have to do is make a few mouse clicks to throw your sales pitch. Sadly, I fell victim to this for several years myself after taking over our page, but have grown a conscience over the last year, and feel it is time to repent for my cyber-sins.

Let us look at it from another perspective… within the last two years we have only had ten, yes that is correct…TEN actual people”send friend requests to us on MySpace. We have however, had literally hundreds and hundreds of friend requests from bands/artists. Some of these would also be considered repeat offenders, where they have been denied a friend request or had their accounts revoked. Of these bands, I have never heard of 99% of them that send these friend requests, and the kicker is, I’m 99% sure they have never heard of us either! From rappers, folk artist, indie artists, comedians, actors, Hooters models, you name it… they just keep coming in. How are they doing it? They are using a 3rd party software known as a “bot” that seeks out someone’s friends list and automatically downloads those contacts and sends the friend request to their inbox. The end result is they acquire another “fan” when someone reluctantly clicks the “approve” button, regardless if that person or band has even heard of the band making the request, thus giving them a false statistical ranking for “fans”. Not to mention, how much more impersonal can it get? Does anyone actually think bands have that much time on their hands to scour MySpace and manually submit friend requests? That would be a cumbersome process to say the least, and that isn’t how it works. Think of it from the receiving end, the idea that some random band sends a friend request to you, could make one think (if they don’t have two brain cells to rub together) that, “hey, these guys sound pretty good, and want to be MY friend? KILLER!?” no, no, no you half-witted dirt bag, they don’t want to be your friend, they just want you as a statistic to make themselves look larger and more popular than they really are, oh yes, and your email address so they can harass you relentlessly about their amateur, self-imposed accolades and propaganda – from the progress of their DIY album, to the battle of the bands that is 10 states away that they want you to vote for them and attend.

As actual people drop off MySpace at record breaking speeds, and move over to more conventional, and less obtrusive & annoying social networking sites, that only leaves one particular customer left hanging around on MySpace… the bands themselves. What makes this even more laughable, is that most bands will approve friendships from other bands that send request on the sole purpose to add to their own fan counts and then steal that said bands fan base contact info with their own bot program resulting in them spamming the ever living shit out of their circle of people/bands as well! Rinse and repeat… It is an endless circle that just won’t break, and has become, for lack of a better term, MySpace cannibalism. How the music industry even sees the relevance in this social media platform still blows my mind, as it’s just a bunch of bands from all walks of life, beating the hell out of each other and vying for one another’s fans, when there are actually no real fans even using that site anymore! Just BANDS!!! Oh, the irony… If MySpace was a venue, then it would mean that everyone would be on stage, and no one would be in the audience. Priceless.

Due to the erroneous efforts of the music industry, more specifically record labels and/or A&R reps still clinging desperately to the notion that “fans” and/or “friends” on a bands MySpace page (or even Facebook page) equates to potential or possible future sales, and completely becoming lazy and complacent with finding quality over quantity, I felt it was time to take a stand and prove this to be a pipe dream on theirs AND the bands part that consol this fruitless model. Rather than outright delete our bands account in protest, then pour gasoline on myself and strike a match, I felt I would have some fun with it while the site still exists, especially since MySpace got smart and added a few new features to make things a bit more exciting for my cause…. Unbeknown to them.

I don’t even log on to our MySpace page except to “clean out the closet” so to speak. I often laugh manically like a James Bond villain, holding my cat in the crook of my left arm, occasionally stroking her fine soft fur as I slowly cursor over the “deny" button for friend requests from other bands, and then mark them as “Spam” before moving onto to clicking “ignore”.

As spam-mail pours in from all these artists and glory hounds, I will without hesitation, open the option to “Remove Friend” and then proceed to delete the email message without even reading it. The only time I even look at the email before following these steps, is if happens to mention MY band somehow and looks legitimately like a message to us… but that rarely happens, if not all. Ironically, after months of doing this, we still haven’t dipped below 10,000 friends. My goal is to actually decrease our friend count below that mark by the end of the year, just to see if it’s possible.

Next, I follow pretty much the same process with comment approvals, except I do one thing different… I send advertising rates to the prospective artist and/or band. This is the one I have the most fun with - I will politely tell them that I had denied their comment as spam, but for future reference, if they wish to post their advertisements on our page via our comments section, I would be more than happy to support their endeavors if they are willing to pay for the advertising space. I then supply a rate chart with a sliding scale depending on the size of their advertisement, and how long they would like it displayed on our page, along with my Paypal account info so they know where they can submit payment. This normally results in a very angry and venomous reply from the artist/band in question, or them removing us as their friend. Either way, I don’t care… I was being honest and fair, right?

Now, once again, our page still exists since most people, and the industry use MySpace as a quick “go to” page to do their research on artists, as futile as it may be. However, I am not completely cold and callous, nor without a kind bone in my body. Actual people, or bands that we look up to or are friends with locally or nationally that are reading this can breathe a sigh of relief, as they will always be on our friends list, if that really matters.

So yes, we have a Facebook page, but let me point out the difference in how it is to MySpace. This is not a vote of favoritism or a sales pitch on why Facebook is better, but just an example and the hard facts of why it is more realistic and reliable source for bands to use when it comes to “free”.

1. The one thing that Facebook has done well in is that they keep Bands and individual users/people separated. Bands cannot create a “personal” page. Some bands do, but most have them removed by Facebook eventually. A bands fan page has limitation compared to a personal page, and I believe this was done on purpose – to keep said bands from using Facebook for spamming and other abusive, snake-oil salesmen tactics. Bands are forced to keep it real, yo!

2. Bands fan pages cannot “friend”, “become a fan” or even “like” another bands fan page or discussion group. Only individual “people” who have an account on Facebook can do so. We have roughly over 1,000 on Facebook and over 10,000 on MySpace, so statistically speaking, if we use this as an example, it is highly plausible that on any given artists MySpace page, it would be a safe guess that 10% or less of a bands fans/friends are actual or potential fans, the other 90% are other bands. That is a huge significance in actual fans that might have purchasing power - Talk about bloated numbers!

3. Although there are a few Bot programs that have been developed to help garner bands more “likes” on Facebook via finding exploits in their coded database, much like on MySpace, most of them are quickly thwarted by Facebook, or band accounts that are found to be using such software, have their fan pages removed. So in a nut shell, even though it is possible, it is far more difficult for bands to develop completely false statistical numbers. Facebook has also went as far as offering paid advertising for artists who feel they want to fairly and legitimately increase their fan base, and guess what… it works, and works well, that is of course, if you are willing to spend the coin. Most bands won’t, but those that do, reap the benefits in increasing their fans significantly. Also, as a more cost effective method, a band can ask their fans to suggest them to other friends to like them, although this often proves to be a challenge, it sometimes returns results if the band has a loyal fan base. Bottom line – a band cannot push themselves onto potential fans through spamming methods, they either have to buy advertising, or have their current fan base act as a their street team. This forces the band to have to prove their notability and creditability. I like it. I like it a lot.

4. If you have a personal page, you need not worry about thousands of bands contacting you to become a fan or “liking” their page due to the restrictions above. However, you might see your friends attempting to swindle you into checking out their buddy’s band, or a band they are a fan of by sending you a suggestion. This cuts down on the potential spam, and keeps it to a dull roar to where you can take the time to actually check out said band… or click “ignore”. Pretty simple, right? Otherwise, you might see a small advertisement on the right of your screen, and once again, you are in control and can choose to investigate, or ignore.

What this boils down to is that it is far more difficult for artists to not only raise their ranking with false positives from passive individuals who will click on a fan or friend request without any form of research or investigation, because after all, it’s just a mouse click, what could possibly happen? Well, if your on MySpace, you already know what could happen. Also, it keeps it to actual PEOPLE being a fan of the band, not other bands. Once again, just keeping it real!

Regardless of all this banter, for myself, I can attest that we actually have a REAL and official website, a real .com domain, and a place that has existed before all of these social networking sites and will probably continue to exist after all sites go away. The very same content you can find on Facebook, MySpace, Reverbnation ect. ect. can be found on our actual website… without the false statistics and self glorifying propaganda of course. It also includes an official forum for fans to hang out and discuss the band, and a real mailing list that you can sign up on, and most importantly... a store to buy the latest merchandise! And one other thing about it, it is maintained far more often than the social network sites and is THE place to visit if you want to contact the band directly.

In the meantime, I’ll keep slicing the MySpace wrist with a butter knife, if for nothing else but the pure entertainment value.

Interesting read, and I agree with some of it but not all.

First Tom hasn't owned myspace for quite a while. FOX bought it a couple of years ago.

These are "social networking sites" so of course folks are going to have the look at me mentality. Its FREE advertising and networking not taking advantage of it would be stupid IMO.

My radio show has jumped leaps and bounds because I am always recommending my new friend requests to check it out. People are not going to know about it unless its recommended and mentioned.

I do agree 100% about the friend adders, and bots....thats some shit. I had 42,000 friends on my myspace before I deleted it and it was through hard work, and word of mouth from others. I never added the models, and rap artists only bands I enjoyed / appreciated or fans of what I am into.

Myspace is on the way out anyways. The profile 3.0 was the final straw for me. Everyone had basically the same generic profile, and holy fuck the advertisements everywhere make the site look like a clusterfuck.

Also facebook isn't cracking down all that much. I see TONS of "personal pages" that are webzines, websites, businesses, bands, you name it.

When the net gives us all a voice to be heard to the entire world, of course folks are going to take advantage of that. No different than a band coming to a message board like this to promote a show, new album, etc etc.

You wanna generate a "buzz". ProgPower USA facebook fan page does it with the viral video/tagging contest, and I love it. I'm doing it myself as well in various forms.

I guess it comes down to how you go about it, and the tact you use. There will always be abusers of everything.

While I understand Dustin's pain (is he a "former" poster? I thought he still posted here), I think he is missing the point of Myspace. It was designed for bands and musicians to showcase their work, and grew into a "social networking" site when individuals expressed the desire to have personal pages there. Nowadays, it is used more for its intended purpose.

From what I've heard, labels have already stopped using Myspace as an indicator of a band's fanbase.

I do think that many bands do a disservice by spamming themselves everywhere on Myspace though.

And I agree that the new Myspace format, while better in some ways visually, is too cluttered and slow.

Whoah no offense guys, but tl;dr. :(

I'll never understand the great myspace layout shift that took place a few months back, but I knew it was going to happen as far back as like August. I didn't actually believe they were going to change the layout permanently and force customized HTML layouts that artists paid hundreds of dollars for to become obsolete, even though I had the official literature right in front of me.

I do think that because of this, bands and labels are switching to Facebook, but it's still a bummer. The myspace pages of last year and before were really cool tools. Shame.

Whoah no offense guys, but tl;dr. :(

I'll never understand the great myspace layout shift that took place a few months back, but I knew it was going to happen as far back as like August. I didn't actually believe they were going to change the layout permanently and force customized HTML layouts that artists paid hundreds of dollars for to become obsolete, even though I had the official literature right in front of me.

I do think that because of this, bands and labels are switching to Facebook, but it's still a bummer. The myspace pages of last year and before were really cool tools. Shame.

Yup! It sucked when myspace did that stupid layout change. I've been doing a bunch of myspace layouts for different artists, and suddenly they all looked "wrong". I felt really bad to have taken the artists' money in the first place. But, at the end of the day, the artists should of course blame myspace and not me.

As far as myspace being a cool tool - yes, it was and to a certain degree still is. We, as a management, get sent close to a hundred requests each month from bands who wants to work with us. There is no way I would be able to download songs and biography pdf's and band picture jpg's from each artist and sit through a listen and read up on it all. It would just take too long. So myspace puts it all in one place and let's me quickly make a "yes" or "no" decision. As you can guess, in 99.5% of the case it's a "no thanks", but at least the bands gets their music across to me to check out. I know a lot of labels prefer it the same way - send us your myspace link, and if we like what we hear/see, then we'll ask you for more stuff.

Okay, so today you can do the same on Facebook with a gifted designer/programmer setting it up w media player and all - but that's not an option for everyone, as it would cost money to do. Myspace is easy to set up, so I absolutely still see it's relevance for bands who wants to get noticed.

As a social media? Myspace is dead and gone.

c.

Years ago I always liked Myspace better. It seemed more personal and everything, but once all these bots started requesting like crazy and no one was using anymore, it became obsolete. It still is an efficient resource I think for bands, but like others said, the fan count doesn't mean shit anymore. It's intent is for new and old fans alike to find information and music on bands in a much more efficient rate. Myspace definitely is the top resource for me as far as finding new bands, but I never log in or add them as a friend. Hell, I don't even remember my username and password anymore.

I deleted my account about a year ago. I only ever added like 4 bands the entire time I had an account. I go back every so often if its the only place I can check out samples from a band. It was annoying though as I used to have issues with songs not playing. Haven't used it in awhile though to know if thats still a reoccurring problem.

I would say Facebook is certainly stepping up in the band area. I don't "like" a lot of things on Facebook as I really only use it for friends but I do check band walls every now and then. One group I check out a lot has a few more likes on Facebook than friends on Myspace. So when you remove all the other bands, bots, etc, the number has to be quite disproportionate (of course, the number of Facebook users is also quite higher). However, the actual guys are also really active on their Facebook and reply to posts on their wall which was something Myspace never really had. I think that makes Facebook more personal. Although if bands really want that connection, twitter is an even better method. I'm more likely to follow bands and people in bands on twitter than like things on Facebook.

I have been considerig MySpace suicide for my band pages...I went to one of my own pages and immediately was hit with a nasty bit of malware...I just haven't got around to making the Reverbnation replacement pages yet...

MySpace has become so slow that I can't even USE IT anymore.. and it doesn't work on the computers at work, because the browsers here are too old.

I saw a few years back that this MySpace stuff was becoming a waste of time. The "Merry Humb Day" pics were the sign not to mention that the high percent of the "friends" really paid no attention to who you were. Sure at first some of them would say your music was cool when you first accepted them but with the memory of a gold fish those people quickly forgot the band once they refreshed the page.
I'm not going to say that MySpace did not workedout for me in a couple of cases, I found two bands there. And I felt that if a band did not have a website then why not at least do a MySpace page. But as far as consideration on the MySpace world of mutants it was pointless.
I think the tool can still be utilized and I still see bands and such doing so but it has become very difficult and time consuming to work with.
I see MySpace as a bad 80s post apocalyptic Mad Max rip off movie. It is a waste land and all the people still there are mutated zombies which is not far from the truth really. The bands left are like wild crazed cannibalistic gangs. The place is cluttered, ugly, and full of disease (viruses).
The sadness thing about MySpace and you never hear about this but Tom has lost so many friends.:devil:

I gave up on MySpace precisely BECAUSE of all those stupid, overblown custom pages. If I pulled up a band's page or a personal page and videos AND audio clips started fighting things out, with colored text on a 'busy,' similar-colored background that was damned near impossible to read, I'd instantly go elsewhere.
The only thing I use MySpace for now is to read the occasional blog from a band I'm subscribed to (Opeth, for example).

I still keep up an account for exactly that. Just checking band pages, but not all that often. Otherwise, it's just a band circle jerk most of the time.

I have to give high props to Bobbie for finding my note on Facebook so compelling that she was willing to post it around the internet and share it with everyone, and have it be...semi-viral? LOL! I didn't realize how many people felt the same way... most of them are not bands/artist of course, which was expected, but none the less, it only reaffirmed my stance on the matter.

(in Scobby-doo voice) I ruv roo Robbie! He-he-he-he-he!

First Tom hasn't owned myspace for quite a while. FOX bought it a couple of years ago.

LOL... I know. That's why Tom was in quotes.

These are "social networking sites" so of course folks are going to have the look at me mentality. Its FREE advertising and networking not taking advantage of it would be stupid IMO.

This is true. If it wasn't, I would have deleted our account years ago. But alas, you get what you pay for. (hint, hint!)

My radio show has jumped leaps and bounds because I am always recommending my new friend requests to check it out. People are not going to know about it unless its recommended and mentioned.

Actually, I only see your show invites on Facebook... which reminds me, I should drop in and check it out!

I do agree 100% about the friend adders, and bots....thats some shit.

+1

Also facebook isn't cracking down all that much. I see TONS of "personal pages" that are webzines, websites, businesses, bands, you name it.

Yes, there are "some", but those pages probably exist still because they haven't done anything to attract any attention to themselves through abusive methods. I have two or three of those on my friends list (because I know the individual who runs them), and that's the only reason why I even accepted them as friends, but if any of them start posting spam on my wall, I'll mark it as abuse regardless of how good of a friend they are... I garuntee they're "personal" page that is a front for their band/webzine/business won't last long.

When the net gives us all a voice to be heard to the entire world, of course folks are going to take advantage of that. No different than a band coming to a message board like this to promote a show, new album, etc etc.

I can't argue this, any chance to get your information our there, free or not, should be used. However, it's the methods that are called into question. Personally, it is far more notable and creditable if someone outside of a band (management, publicists, label, fans) posts the information/press releases, otherwise it can be mistaken for self-serving glorification on the bands part, and in my experience, most people won't take it seriously or even pay attention to it outside of the bands core fan base.

You wanna generate a "buzz". ProgPower USA facebook fan page does it with the viral video/tagging contest, and I love it. I'm doing it myself as well in various forms.

It's on my list!!

I guess it comes down to how you go about it, and the tact you use. There will always be abusers of everything.

I couldn't have said it any better.

While I understand Dustin's pain (is he a "former" poster? I thought he still posted here), I think he is missing the point of Myspace. It was designed for bands and musicians to showcase their work, and grew into a "social networking" site when individuals expressed the desire to have personal pages there. Nowadays, it is used more for its intended purpose.

LOL... oh no, I'm still a poster here. However, I lurk far more than I post. Bobbie was just more motivated to post this here than I was - I gave her my blessings to put this wherever she wanted.

I haven't missed the point about MySpace - I just don't agree with their layout, their coding format, and their lack of quality control.... and that's just the start. If they just let bands put their stuff up, and eliminated the "friends/counts" aspect of it, and allowed people to NOT have to have an account to contact or interact with said band, THEN I think it would be more palatable, but outside of that - it is a wasteland of glory hounds supported by terrible and easily exploited programming issues and gawdy advertisements.

From what I've heard, labels have already stopped using Myspace as an indicator of a band's fanbase.

Well... yes, It appears that some of the larger, more reputable lables have abandoned MySpace as a "reliable" source for finding prospective talent, which I think is smart on their part. However, there are still some of the smaller indie labels that seem to still heavily reply on it, in fact there are some labels (as Claus pointed out in his post) that just want you to send them your MySpace URL with your demo/new songs posted on your page. Once bitten, twice shy... I'm not going to risk my bands career/future with a possibly larger, more reputable label because I've already "released" our songs online (streamable or not!) just to have this smaller label give us the time of day, who's too damn lazy to accept solicited materials from management/insider, a hyper link to a secure server with the songs/bio, or even a self-shopped CD with a proper press package. We've already had it happen to us once long ago, and won't go through that again. We'll just chalk it up to a learning experience. Also I feel it's not only unprofessional, but very impersonal. I'm sure I'm shooting myself in the foot with this remark, but I have to draw the line somewhere.

I do think that many bands do a disservice by spamming themselves everywhere on Myspace though.
And I agree that the new Myspace format, while better in some ways visually, is too cluttered and slow.

Thank you!

Ah...that actually felt good...no more LINE OF FIRE MySpace...Reverbnation/Facebook only now...

Damn Shawn... FIGHT THE POWER! LOL!

The sadness thing about MySpace and you never hear about this but Tom has lost so many friends.

LOL!!!! You clever bastard.

Ah...that actually felt good...no more LINE OF FIRE MySpace...Reverbnation/Facebook only now...

Amen! It felt good when I got rid of my myspace page as well! Like you now I'm only on facebook, and reverbnation. I actually refuse to visit myspace anymore.

Ok so I lied....I'm on DeviantArt, Youtube, and Twitter (do not like it but have one and barely use it) as well haha. :kickass::headbang:

Intersting.... I logged into our MYsapce page today to (ahem) Clean out the closet again, and noticed that more than half of the messages (erm, spam?) sent, said "profile no longer exists" with no message... even Mindlow sent us something, and their profile is - according to my inbox - gone! I didn't search the site to see if that was true... however, very ineresting none the less.

I think the end is certainly near for MySpace.