The first reviews are coming in!!

Hawk

Henri Serton
Staff member
Aug 31, 2001
Eindhoven; Rockcity!
Wow...the reviewer at progressiveworld.net sounds like he didnt do a good job listening to the album LOL "a concept album with the 8th track being the most important to the story, possibly based on greek mythology" hahahaha. And "near death metal prog rock"? Sounds like this guy is too used to hearing Spocks Beard and Porcupine Tree :D;) ah well..he did give it 5/5

he said death metal prog rock?????:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
lachen014.gif

lachen011.gif

that guy is nuts:lol:

That's what I was thinking.:) "Death metal prog rock" is not what I would The Odyssey. Not even close. Maybe "heavy neoclassical metal", but not "death metal" at all.

Awesome reviews for the most part except for the concept album goof. Hey Yngvai X, have you learned any of the guitar riffs/solos off of this one yet? Just curious.

I like this tidbit from the conclusion of the Metal Express review:

Why someone want Symphony X to open for them - I really have no idea. It must be because they simply want to learn how to play better and sing like a God. It could very well be that the major acts who bring these guys out will sing their swan song...

By the way... the one thing I hate about Symphony X reviews are the constant Dio comparisons! Russell Allen sounds nothing like Dio!

there are some parts that Russell sounds like Dio indeed but I agree that the comparisons are way over the top. I remember changing through channels on my tv the other day and I heard a Dio song (can't remember wich one) and his vocals were damn similar to Russ.

Russel's natural voice different, but he does that 'gruffy' Dio impersonation. Listen to song Fallen of V and you'll see what I mean. After all, Dio is one of his favorite vocalists (mine too) so it's natural to have at least a bit similar voice to his hero.

I've always thought Russell sounds more like Steven Walsh from Kansas than Dio. Regardless, Russell's voice is amazing and I like it for what it is, not because he sounds similar to someone else. Russell is by far the best vocalist I've heard in a long time.

Oh, and I absolutely love the new CD. What the hell is the time sig on the beginning of Inferno? 13/16? Such heavy f**kin' grooves... :eek:

Originally posted by weenur
Oh, and I absolutely love the new CD. What the hell is the time sig on the beginning of Inferno? 13/16? Such heavy f**kin' grooves... :eek:

The very begining of Inferno is 4/4 until it hits the main riff/lead part which goes 5/4, 7/8, 5/4, 5/4, 5/4, 7/8, 5/4, 4/4 Thats how I transcribed it anyway.

Sweepking - Inferno took me 2 days to figure everything out, and I could play the 2nd solo the night I figured it out (its all his usual string skipping/tapping arp shapes, the dominant 7th one then the diminished one) though I still have trouble with rushing it in spots (its not an even subdivision the whole way through).

I might make my transcription available soon but I wanna show it to Romeo after the NJ show to see how accurate I was with it first (same with King of Terrors).

Originally posted by Yngvai X
The very begining of Inferno is 4/4 until it hits the main riff/lead part which goes 5/4, 7/8, 5/4, 5/4, 5/4, 7/8, 5/4, 4/4 Thats how I transcribed it anyway.

Sweepking - Inferno took me 2 days to figure everything out, and I could play the 2nd solo the night I figured it out (its all his usual string skipping/tapping arp shapes, the dominant 7th one then the diminished one) though I still have trouble with rushing it in spots (its not an even subdivision the whole way through).

I might make my transcription available soon but I wanna show it to Romeo after the NJ show to see how accurate I was with it first (same with King of Terrors).

How do you transcribe all that stuff? All by ear?
If so, it's nothing short of amazing I'd say!