The Flip-Flop.

vomit

Hosebag wannabe
Feb 12, 2002
Somewhere in Time
Visit site
I think the reason why most of us are agitated about this reunion is the constant stream of BS that the band is feeding all of us: Bush-backers, Belladonna backers, Spitz Partisans, and Caggiano fans. ALL of us are getting our legs pulled.

We all know what Charlie and Scott's stance was, when they recorded and released "The Greater of Two Evils". "This is how they were supposed to sound", blah, blah, blah. "Bush is better.....blah, blah, blah". That was what they said over and over.....

Then in the latest interview, Scott says:

“I understand why we did what we did to these songs in the ’90s because we had this huge catalog to play from, all the old stuff as well as all the records we did with John Bush, so it made sense,” Ian explained. “Our attitude going into this reunion was ‘Let’s play these songs note for note how we played and recorded them in the ’80s. Truthfully, they’re so much better this way

"Truthfully"? Huh? Seems like the truth is being made a mockery of here.

I am so dissapointed right now. It appears Scott will say anything at anytime, to fit the circumstances. Shameful.

I hate to say it, but I am starting to think Billy Milano has been right, all along. I will always respect all the musicians of Anthrax, for what they brought to the fold, but this is a sad day, for all the fans.

And that my friends, sucks!:puke:

I was thinking the same thing when I read it, but was reluctant to post it, just because I knew I'd be given constant shit from then on.

I think he talks more or less about how they played the old stuff blended during their gigs in the 90's, like some sort of medley...I remember seein' them back in 99 and they played only half 'among the living' and then went into the main riff of 'A.I.R' (i think, my memory is not so good after all this years of alcohol abuse)and then to another oldie and so on... It was like 20-30 minutes playing old stuff non-stop. as he said, that was because they have the bush catalogue too, and they have to play the old stuff shortened. Now they only plays 84-91 stuff, so that is not a problem anymore (in the reunion tour, at least, we'll see what future brings...)

vomit said:
We all know what Charlie and Scott's stance was, when they recorded and released "The Greater of Two Evils". "This is how they were supposed to sound", blah, blah, blah. "Bush is better.....blah, blah, blah". That was what they said over and over.....
As a huge fan of the Bush-era, and one who read a ton of interviews, I do not remember one instance when they said "This is how they were supposed to sound, Bush is better, etc. etc. etc." I do remember them saying that they were doing it because this is what the fans have been asking for, for years. I also remember them saying that the record was not to replace the old records or anything of that sort. If you could find me a couple interviews where they said what you said, I'll completely shut up and admit that I was wrong... but I just don't remember them disrespecting the past like that while promoting The Greater of Two Evils.

He was definitely talking about playing the medley's* and the shortened versions of the songs. In my opinion what he's talking about are time constraints. They had too much to play and not enough time, so instead of leaving out songs they would do medleys and cut out the solos on some songs. To save time and fit in more songs (albeit shortened), not because that's how they should be played.

*just for the record-I HATE MEDLEY'S

This is just what we need, another one of these threads. SOS.

vomit said:
I think the reason why most of us are agitated about this reunion is the constant stream of BS that the band is feeding all of us: Bush-backers, Belladonna backers, Spitz Partisans, and Caggiano fans. ALL of us are getting our legs pulled.

Then in the latest interview, Scott says:

“I understand why we did what we did to these songs in the ’90s because we had this huge catalog to play from, all the old stuff as well as all the records we did with John Bush, so it made sense,” Ian explained. “Our attitude going into this reunion was ‘Let’s play these songs note for note how we played and recorded them in the ’80s. Truthfully, they’re so much better this way

"Truthfully"? Huh? Seems like the truth is being made a mockery of here.

I am so dissapointed right now. It appears Scott will say anything at anytime, to fit the circumstances. Shameful.

I hate to say it, but I am starting to think Billy Milano has been right, all along. I will always respect all the musicians of Anthrax, for what they brought to the fold, but this is a sad day, for all the fans.

And that my friends, sucks!:puke:

Why don't you pull your head out of your ass and read the sentance before the quote so you can put it into context:

This year fans should expect the band to play the greatest hits from its 1985-91 halcyon days in their original form rather than the shortened, altered arrangements of recent years.

So if you're familiar with how the songs were played in the past several years with Bush, you would know this means:
  • No skipping the solos
  • No medleys
And I agree, that is the best way to play them. The medleys were annoying. I'd rather hear two full songs than 5 parts of other songs. He never said it was better to not have John sing them. Of course, on TGOTE, we heard the full songs, so the band was probably going back to playing the full songs anyway. (They started playing "Caught in a Mosh" with the guitar solo for the first time since before the Pantera tour of 1997.)

Yeah, I love Bush. But don't shove words into someone else's mouth.

jdelpi said:
I thank you for talking them out of them. :worship:

I didn't talk them out of anything, I just expressed my opinion (whatever that's worth).
Scott once threatened to play a 75 minute medley. So now the only thing I say is medley's SUCK.
Like Justin says, i'd rather hear a few full songs than pieces of a bunch. That's what's great about songs. Everyone likes different things and parts, so how do you pick which part to play. Now i'm rambling. See you later, i'm off to Poughkeepsie (the armpit of the world). Hope they don't play any medley's tonight.

The plural form of "medley" is "medleys"....sorry, English teacher.

Well, I agree this quote is taken out of context, but what is Scott really saying? It still seems to me that he's negating his previous statement (I know it exists, but I can't remember where; someone help) about 2 Evils that "this is how they were meant to sound".

The press release for Greater Of Two Evils.

Scott stated, “It was just the five of us in a room ripping, it’s was intense” . It was like when we first wrote these songs and started playing them for the first time. Except now the songs have evolved after years of playing them live to where I wish they were when we first recorded them. Like good whisky, they’ve aged wonderfully. And now you’ll hear them with John Bush. The way I always imagined them in the first place.”

SaviourSelf said:

Scott stated, “It was just the five of us in a room ripping, it’s was intense” . It was like when we first wrote these songs and started playing them for the first time. Except now the songs have evolved after years of playing them live to where I wish they were when we first recorded them. Like good whisky, they’ve aged wonderfully. And now you’ll hear them with John Bush. The way I always imagined them in the first place.”
Fair enough! Thanks!

SaviourSelf said:

Yeah I knew I had read this before, thanx!

BIGPHAT442 said:
I didn't talk them out of anything, I just expressed my opinion (whatever that's worth).
Scott once threatened to play a 75 minute medley. So now the only thing I say is medley's SUCK.
Like Justin says, i'd rather hear a few full songs than pieces of a bunch. That's what's great about songs. Everyone likes different things and parts, so how do you pick which part to play. Now i'm rambling. See you later, i'm off to Poughkeepsie (the armpit of the world). Hope they don't play any medley's tonight.

Yes you did... I was there in August of 2001... you said NO MEDLEY'S. I said... YEAH!! NO MEDLEY'S... and NO BRING THE NOISE!!

And we got our wish!