The Focusing Glossary

Boris T

New Metal Member
Jan 19, 2004
The Focusing Glossary

A short explanation of some astronomical and physical terms used in The Focusing Blur and Cosmic Genesis. I think it helps to explore the symbiosis between science and poetry in Vintersorg's lyrics. ;)

Axis: Theoretical straight line through a celestial body, around which it rotates.

Black hole: An object whose surface gravity is so great that no radiation or matter can escape from it. Some black holes discussed in astronomy are collapsed stars, but much smaller ones are theoretically possible.

Blackbody: A body with ideal properties of radiation absorption and emission, against which less perfect actual stars and celestial objects can be measured. Black-body radiation has a continuous spectrum governed solely by the body's temperature: for any particular temperature there is a specific wavelength at which radiation emission is greatest.

Brown dwarf: A starlike object too small to achieve nuclear reactions in its center; any stellar object smaller than about 0.08 M.

Bivium (latin)- place where two ways meet.

Cluster of galaxies: A relatively close grouping of galaxies, often with some members coorbiting or interacting with each other.

Corona: The outermost atmosphere of the Sun, having a temperature of about 1 to 2 million kelvins

Dark Matter: Any nonluminous astronomical object or particle that is detected only by its gravitational influence. Examples include planets, black holes, white dwarfs (because they are low luminosity) and more exotic things like weakly interacting particles (WIMPs).

Dwarf Galaxy: Small, low luminosity galaxies that are associated with larger spiral galaxies and may make up part of a galactic halo.

Dwarf star: A star, which lies on the main sequence and is too small to be classified as a giant star or a super giant star. For example, the Sun is a yellow dwarf star.

Electron: A negatively charged particle commonly found in the outer layers of atoms. The electron has only 0.0005 the mass of the proton.

Frequency: Number of wave vibrations per second; 1 Hertz is one cycle per second (e.g., 1420 MHz = 1,420,000,000 vibrations per second).

Galileo Galilei (1564-1642): Italian scientist who first applied the telescope to observe other planets, discovering lunar craters, Jupiter's moons, and other celestial phenomena.

Gravitation equation: The universal ability of all material objects to attract each other ( F = Gm1m2 / r2 , where G represents the universal gravitational constant, m1 - the mass of object 1, m2 - the mass of object 2, d - distance separate the objects centers.)

Halo: The outer region of a galaxy containing globular clusters a few stray stars, and dark matter

Isaac Newton (1642-1727): English physicist who discovered the spectrum and laws of gravitation and motion; he also developed calculus and made other discoveries. Possibly the greatest physicist in history.

Magnitude: the measurement of the brightness of an object;
the lower the number, the brighter the object.
Absolute:
the apparent brightness an object would have if
it were 10 parsec(32.6 light-years) from Earth
Apparent:
the measure of the brightness of an object
as seen from Earth

Neutron Star: A small, extremely dense star made primarily of neutrons, with a radius of approximately 10 kilometers.

Nova: A star that abruptly increases in brightness by a factor of a million. A nova is caused in a binary star system where hydrogen-rich material is transferred to the surface of a white dwarf until sufficient material and temperatures exist to kindle explosive nuclear fusion.

Parallax: An angular shift in apparent position due to an observer's motion; more specifically, a small angular shift in a star's apparent position due to the Earth's motion around the Sun. Stellar parallax, used to measure stellar distance, is defined as the angle subtended by the radius of the Earth's orbit as seen from the star.

Phase: Angular distance between peaks or troughs of two wave forms of similar frequency.

Red Dwarf: Cool, low mass star on the lower main sequence.

Spectrum: A plot of the intensity of light at different frequencies. Or the distribution of wavelengths and frequencies.

Spiral galaxy: A disk-shaped galaxy with a spiral pattern, typically containing 1010-1012 M of stars, dust, and gas.

Stellar Wind: a steady or unsteady outflow of material from the surface of a star. In many classes of star hot coronae are observed and these are believed to be due to heating by waves generated in the upper layers of the star. This results in the outflow of mass in the form of a stellar wind.

Supernova: An extremely violent explosion of a star many times more massive than our Sun. During this explosion, the star may become as bright as all the other stars in a galaxy combined, and in which a great deal of matter is thrown off into space at high velocity and high energy. The remnant of these massive stars collapse into either a neutron star or a black hole.

White Dwarf: A dying star that has collapsed to approximately the size of the Earth and is slowly cooling.

sources:
http://xmm.vilspa.esa.es/external/xmm_science/gallery/public/glossary.php#
http://www.astronomy-info.com/Glossary/Glossary_C.html
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Galaxy/9097/
http://nedwww.ipac.caltech.edu/level5/Glossary/
http://www.astronomy.ohio-state.edu/~pogge/Ast162/Unit1/SpTypes/index.html
http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/rosat/ruh/handbook/node150.html

TB666 said:
Good work.
yes thanx for that effort
but much of it is too complex for me, I´ll leave it to my imagination what the
V-meister is on about
thinking that he has found a formula for life and it´s creation and the origin and behaviour of the galaxy:dopey:

HELLcome to the board Boris! Now that's a totally cool way of joining a forum as a new member :)
Thanks for posting this, even though I now need the dictionary for the explainations ;) And I also doubt I will ever be able understand all these things but this is certainly a first step.

Ok, so this morning I took the time to not only read the lyrics but trying to understand what they (or the concept is) about.
The glossary above and the links to the sites certainly are a great thing but I must confess I have way too litte background on all these things to really know what's going on. You should have seen me sitting here, with dictionaries and lexicons around me :rolleyes: And even if I like to believe I'm pretty good in understanding English - this stuff would still be very heavy-topic if it was written in German (in my case ;) ). I have the feeling I would have to read heaps of related books first if I wanted to understand more than the glimpse I caught this morning. I often simply fail to evolve an initial thought I had on a certain thing. Still, there were a few new things, especially in the structure of the lyrics, that I started to grasp now that I made this effort and so there's still hope I'll catch more the next time I do so. But it's really time-consuming, I wonder how mr V manages with all the things he does.

"So many pieces to put in place, So many riddles to solve in this extended maze" :)

Gaunerin said:
Ok, so this morning I took the time to not only read the lyrics but trying to understand what they (or the concept is) about.
The glossary above and the links to the sites certainly are a great thing but I must confess I have way too litte background on all these things to really know what's going on. You should have seen me sitting here, with dictionaries and lexicons around me :rolleyes: And even if I like to believe I'm pretty good in understanding English - this stuff would still be very heavy-topic if it was written in German (in my case ;) ). I have the feeling I would have to read heaps of related books first if I wanted to understand more than the glimpse I caught this morning. I often simply fail to evolve an initial thought I had on a certain thing. Still, there were a few new things, especially in the structure of the lyrics, that I started to grasp now that I made this effort and so there's still hope I'll catch more the next time I do so. But it's really time-consuming, I wonder how mr V manages with all the things he does.

"So many pieces to put in place, So many riddles to solve in this extended maze" :)

There are excellent books written by physicist Stephen Hawking: "Brief History of Time" and "The Universe in a Nutshell". You don't even need to know any physics and maths to read them, there are no formulas and terms!

I also recomend documentary movies (on DVD) : Stephen Hawking's Universe (6 episodes) and Carl Sagan's Cosmos (13 episodes) - a must see stuff ;)

Boris T said:
There are excellent books written by physicist Stephen Hawking: "Brief History of Time" and "The Universe in a Nutshell". You don't even need to know any physics and maths to read them, there are no formulas and terms!
I know about the books you mentioned but could not be bothered to read them so far. The topic is interesting but scares me away at the same time, hehe. I was not terrible but also far from good in physics at school (and that's already over a decade ago). I totally suck at maths. I'm hopeless :err:

Boris T said:

I also recomend documentary movies (on DVD) : Stephen Hawking's Universe (6 episodes) and Carl Sagan's Cosmos (13 episodes) - a must see stuff ;)
Yes, it 's a good start. And the episodes made for Tv(both Hawking and Sagan) are just perfect....

mr V

Gaunerin said:
I know about the books you mentioned but could not be bothered to read them so far. The topic is interesting but scares me away at the same time, hehe. I was not terrible but also far from good in physics at school (and that's already over a decade ago). I totally suck at maths. I'm hopeless :err:
I know what you mean man.

Boris T said:
Black hole: An object whose surface gravity is so great that no radiation or matter can escape from it. Some black holes discussed in astronomy are collapsed stars, but much smaller ones are theoretically possible.
I read a related article today in which the writer was trying to show how great the gravity of a black hole is by stating this example:
if you were able to compress the mass of the earth to something with a diameter of 2 cm (!) then the earth would turn into a black hole.
Amazing... but absolutely incomprehensible for me I'm afraid, hehe.

i like the explanation, the comparison especially, but for a full image u must remember that the gravity in the black hole is so strong that it doesn't let the light come out of it