optionthree

Better than the first two
Dec 23, 2008
Calgary, AB
The Foreshadowing – Days of Nothing
Candlelight Records – CANDLE165CD – 22 October 2007
By Neil Hauer

the_foreshadowing.jpg

Out of the backwater streets of southern Europe come metal’s new poster boys for anguish and despair. Following in the musical footsteps of such gothic greats as Tiamat and Katatonia, The Foreshadowing are an Italian group intent on communicating and spreading their self-proclaimed disdain for life. If you want an idea of the general theme of the record, you need only to glance at the statement on the back of the liner notes: “We don’t feel a part of this world and we don’t need to believe in any creed, conviction or lifestyle. We just wait for a right end of this wrong and cruel world”. Wow. I mean, I’ve had bad days before, but these guys sound like they just lost their jobs, parents, and had someone piss in their cereal.

Jokes aside, the record as a whole is a doomy, midpaced affair, dominated largely by dense guitar chords and lethargic, thunderous percussion. In short, it’s the aural embodiment of how much these guys hate everything. The songs are well written and manage to hold interest while maintaining a sense of minimalism, a balancing act that speaks to the compositional skill of the band. However, the most compelling reason to listen to this album is the talented vocals of singer Marco Benevento. His voice is highly emotive and has a melancholy timbre befitting the style of the music.

All in all, Days of Nothing is an enjoyable record, and better than most other bands’ debut albums. Fans of the genre would do well to seek this out, and even those who usually dismiss most gothic metal would likely find something to savour. There’s only one prerequisite: the ability to stomach fifty minutes of “I'm so alone that I should die”.

Official The Foreshadowing Website
Official The Foreshadowing Myspace
Official Candlelight Records Website

this is one of my favourite Romantic Doom albums that I have heard in simply ages.
I find the vocals especially incredible and do that something extra and moving to what may have been a typical gothic/romantic doom metal album.

as Optionthree said, a must to check out for fans of the genre or for people looking for an easy way to get into the genre.