The Glorious Burden

Mr Blackwell

Greenface
Dec 29, 2003
Vienna, Austria, Europe
I bought the new album yesterday, and as a Metalhead completist I had to have the limited edition digipack double CD, even though I had to pay 23,90 Euro (instead of 13,99 for the single disc).
No regrets here, I had to have it and I had to have it now! I've waited long enough and the glorious moment had finally arrived.

I was very excited when I heard Tim's vocals on The Reckoning on the EP last year, but I didn't buy the single. No extra tracks -> no purchase.

The album package is very nice and the European version (which I own) has a sticker with the European tour dates from 3/19 - 4/11/04.

The intro sounds really good and flows seamlessly into Declaration Day, which is a great start and features a lot of high singing (which I'm sure Matt couldn't handle - although I adore his singing very much). A typical Iced Earth song IMHO.
I had already seen the video for When The Eagle Cries and I liked it very much. Musically it's just a Metal ballad, nothing less, nothing more.
The Reckoning is another typical Iced Earth stomper and Tim sounds a lot like Rob Halford here. Great!
Greenface is even heavier and features a really wild chorus with lots of high screams - Oh, I love Tim's voice - YEAH!
Attila sounds like a slower version of Colors from IE's debut album (listen to the verses - you can even sing along "Walking in the subway alone late at night, New York City gangs everywhere in sight...". But I like the song anyway - great dialogue part between the Romans and the Huns.
Red Baron/Blue Max features Tim's only songwriting contribution and sounds not so much like IE but more like other US Power Metal bands (Omen and Cage come to mind). Needs some time to get used to, but comes out great.
I don't remember much of Hollow Man and Valley Forge, except that they are (semi?) ballads.
Waterloo also isn't too memorable (at least after a few listens), one of my least favorite tracks. But that could change very soon.
When The Eagle Cries (Unplugged) is the track that pushes the complete running time just over 78 minutes and is the only justification for the double CD. I don't really need the Unplugged version, but I don't mind having a double CD (approx. 46:30 and 32:00 minutes long), especially because Gettysburg really is a grand epic that deserves to be on an extra disc.
Gettysburg: Jon's comments and the lyrics are quite interesting, traditional melodies and new music are mixed (or is interwoven the correct word? Is this a word at all? *g*) very well (as well as the orchestra and the band) and Tim's voice shines once again. The pace of all three parts is pretty much the same: mid tempo.
The Glorious Burden is not the TOTAL KILLER ALBUM that I expected (I expected to be blown away, but I wasn't :erk: ), but a great record anyway, and one of this year's highlights, that's for sure :headbang:
I'm really glad that I finally got to hear Tim Owens' superb voice on a really great traditional Heavy Metal album :)

I have to say that I am quite disappointed in Iced Earth's new lead guitarist, he's terrible, he's not an improvement over Larry, he's not even as good as Larry. His bends sound completely out of tune and his playing is quite sloppy. The only solos on the album that sound decent were the ones that Jim Morris did.

Overall, the album is pretty good. Some of the songs are really good and some of them are kinda shitty. As for Owens, he's alright on most of the songs, but he just doesn't have a strong enough voice to carry Jon Schaffer's ballads, and we know that those need all the help that they can get. I still think that Barlow owns him.

Now may I tell you that I think the new one is the worst piece Iced Earth has ever issued - it's so boring (and I've listened to it now for a couple of times). It's obvious that Jon is stuck and keeps repeating himself.

Occam's Razor said:
Now may I tell you that I think the new one is the worst piece Iced Earth has ever issued - it's so boring (and I've listened to it now for a couple of times). It's obvious that Jon is stuck and keeps repeating himself.

Well, maybe our expectations were way too high - mine certainly were.
I still say Tim's vocals are great, but maybe not quite fitting for all the new songs - especially Jon's ballads need the melancholy that only Matt was able to express.
I wouldn't go so far to say the album is boring, but repetitive? Yes. But the same goes for Something Wicked and Horror Show too IMHO.
Another thing that raised my expectations were early reviews that said that the album goes back to IE's roots (fast staccato riffing). But there is no fast burner on the album. Most of the album is midtempo or slow.
And IMHO the production is kind of thin and weak. The CD is so low.
Who knows, maybe I just have to get used to it.
The Dark Saga also took a few months for me to get into it (and only years later when I finally read the Spawn comic books I understood what the lyrics were all about). Now it's one of my favorite albums.
I guess we'll have to wait and see and let the test of time decide.

I think they were just talking about The REckoning, and everyone interpreted that as Stormrider, Pt.2.

I didnt have all that high expectations for this one. I can tell Jon has been kinda runnin himself thin material wise. But with the addition of Owens it sank. Not that he's a bad singer. I am still confident that he just isnt right for Iced Earth. On some songs he sounds good. But the high screeching voicals are just NOT Iced Earth. Imagine Dracula or Travel In Stygian sung by Owens in that high register!

I'm very pleased with the CD. I was mad that I couldn't get the 2 disc version, but I took what I could get. I love all of the songs, and it's definitly a good release, I think. Now that Jon will hopefully take more help in the song writing process he will be able to expand and broaden the bands sound/horizens.

What exactly does the packaging look like. I read that th deluxe versions comes with a hard cover 40 page book or something like that. Is it something like the Dark Genesis packaging? Anyone know where I can find a picture of it?

the 2 CD version comes in an Iron Maiden like sleave... and the book is the full size of the CD case.. it slips in the sleave, and it is like 36 pages or something... its not hardcover . but the sleave is, and then the cds also slip in the sleave (with the book) and they open from the middle, and dont really "close" per say, you just fold it in half.........

thats the best description i can give you.

estranged88 said:
the 2 CD version comes in an Iron Maiden like sleave... and the book is the full size of the CD case.. it slips in the sleave, and it is like 36 pages or something... its not hardcover . but the sleave is, and then the cds also slip in the sleave (with the book) and they open from the middle, and dont really "close" per say, you just fold it in half.........

thats the best description i can give you.

Is this the US version? Have you actually bought this one?
The European limited edition double CD that I bought came in a slipcase which contained the double CD digipack and a booklet, which is slightly bigger than the usual CD booklet (same size as the digipack). No hardcover sleave or book here.

Yeah I got the 2 cd digipak. The book is bigger. And what pisses me off is ya gotta keepo the goddamn box/sleeve thing or you'll lose the book! Nowhere else to put it!!

Iced In Flames said:
Yeah I got the 2 cd digipak. The book is bigger. And what pisses me off is ya gotta keepo the goddamn box/sleeve thing or you'll lose the book! Nowhere else to put it!!
yes that is irritating I always throw these boxes away otherwise
hmmm.. if one loses the box one could tape it into the booklet?
there should be a picture of the band in the booklet
why were they having their picture taken at Gettysburg anyway??

Djöfull said:
yes that is irritating I always throw these boxes away otherwise
hmmm.. if one loses the box one could tape it into the booklet?
there should be a picture of the band in the booklet
why were they having their picture taken at Gettysburg anyway??
Uhh...because the trilogy revolves around it?