The good, the bad and the ugly

So, I completed my "good" album. For ITM songs it was a no brainer, I had The End and Wallflower too, butfor the rest I had to suffer through entire SC and Battles.

SC has a deeply flawed songs, and I can't think of any song I like completely. Also, too much similar song with zero dynamics. I went with WEWO and Paralyzed. Filtered Truth was in the mix, but I couldn't make it fit somewhere on the "album".

With Battles things are more uniform,but also cringy (you...heart out) and so empty. Even though SC is bad, this is more empty and meaningless. Finally I settled for safe bet The End, my favorite Wallflower and interesting and commercial BIF.

So that leaves me with a problem of naming this fantastic collection of songs. Let's go with something with flamess and something cheesy.

In Flames - The Flame Within
(The Best of the Worst)

01. Voices
02. I Am Above
03. With Eyes Wide Open
04. The End
05. Paralyzed
06. Deep Inside
07. Before I Fall
08. Wallflower
09. Burn
10. Stay With Me

Make a playlist, and try it out as an album. Works just fine.

Voices is a proper song, and has an intro, so its an opener. IAA continues strong, but it is also a single material. After two heavier songs there is wewo, a nice, mellow piece. We are back to life with The End. Things continue stable with Paralyzed, then we go metal again with Deep Inside. BIF is short and light to prepare us for 7 minute of Anders emotions in epic Wallflower. We not going to end this without another fast song. And in the end, a perfect closing with a halfacoustic emotional breakdown.

44-45 minutes in total. Proper album with singles. For me, it would rate behind the classics and 2-3 albums of post 2000 era.

Yeah, this would fit in for me just above Lunar/Sub but below Reroute/CC/SOAPF. So...

- The big 4
- R2R/CC/SOAPF
- Flame Within
- Lunar/Sub
- ASOP/STYE
- Battles/SC

Also I'd say the most "complete" songs on SC are WEWO, Through Oblivion and Dead Eyes. No coincidence that they are all slow ballads.

The Chase and Become the Sky are decent too but sound more like Battles prototypes than something from the SC era.

I'll make my good, average, bad listing a three-disc set titled "Sounds of Our Inspiration Fading". Each disc gets progressively shittier.

In Flames already did that. Hence SOAPF, SC, and Battles. Except SC is more bad than average.

I couldn't make three balanced, in time albums. So I have 2 albums, a double album and an ep.

The order is: the good, the ugly, the bad, I wanna hang myself...

I see the light:
Rusted nail
Dead eyes
Filtereth truth
The chase
The end
Voices
I the mask
I am above
Stay with me

The darkness inside (I'm being really generous with this selection because many of those songs suck, just not as much as the bad ones):
In plain view
Paralyzed
Through Oblivion
Siren charms
Drained
Battles
Call my name
Burn

Lack of inspiration (double album):
Everything's gone
With eyes wide open
When the world explodes
Monsters in the ballroom
Become the sky
Like sand
In my room
Before I fall
Through my eyes
Underneath my skin
Wallflower
Greatest greed
Us against the world
Follow me
We will remember
In this life
Deep inside
All the pain

The A88 route EP aka I wanna kill myself:
Not alone
Here until forever
Save me
The truth
This is our house

And that's it. You owe me the therapy.

Oh, another thing.

While listening SC, a shitty album in general, I noticed the drumming. Yeah, not the best work by Daniel, but man, it is so much better than the robo-dudes they used on last two albums.

Well, competition was strong, but I came up with the worst album.

In Flames - Through Oblivion... and some really awful other stuff too (13 Songs of Conscious Commercial Fail)

01. The Truth
02. Everything's Gone
03. Like Sand
04. Us Against The World
05. In This Life
06. Battles
07. (This is Our) House
08. We Will Remember
09. Here Until Forever
10. Through Oblivion
11. Not Alone
12. Monsters in the Ballroom
13. Save Me

Oh, another thing.

While listening SC, a shitty album in general, I noticed the drumming. Yeah, not the best work by Daniel, but man, it is so much better than the robo-dudes they used on last two albums.
To be fair though, wasn't the drums on Battles programmed entirely? I think they sound much more organic on I, The Mask although nothing special.

Don't know. Maybe they were. But both albums sound really bad in that department.

Drums are just doing the most obvious basics all the time.

Funny thing is... You can't hear how much a competent drummer that fits the band is important until he leaves (G'n'R between AFD and later albums, Soilworks new album, Battles...).

I am prob.boring now, but that guy from Cyhra is doing a very good job with the similar music. Keeping it simple, lively and groovy but there is just so much stuff happening with the cymbals and shit all the time. Really makes the song better than it is. Song LtM chorus is a good example.

Last edited:
I quite like the drumming on I, the Mask (the song, not the album). Everything else is really basic though, going all the way back to SC. They really miss Daniel in that department, even though he was never really fully utilised, especially on the last couple of albums he was on.

I'm mostly with your worst list, although personally I quite like Us Against the World and Battles. Granted they aren't what I would call "In Flames songs", but they are decent enough pop-punk-metal fusion tracks and they both flow nicely. Anders' vocals on both are also well within his range so he never sounds like he's straining or trying to do something he can't. I like Through Oblivion for the same reasons - not an IF song, but it's got a really good flow and in isolation it's fine.

Oh I missed this one, OK here we go. Here's my 3 album:

My best of the best album title would be; In Flames - With Eyes Wide Open

Here's the song list:

1- Everything's Gone
2- With Eyes Wide Open
3- Filtered Truth
4- Drained
5- The End
6- Like Sand
7- Before I Fall
8- It's No Good
9- I, The Mask
10- I Am Above
11- Follow Me
12- Deep Inside
13- Not Alone
14- Stay With Me

It's a long album but an awesome one. :D

Here's the average one, that one's title would be; In Flames - When The World Explodes

Here's the song list:

1- Through Oblivion
2- Siren Charms
3- When The World Explodes
4- Through My Eyes
5- Save Me
6- In My Room
7- Wallflower
8- Down In A Hole
9- Wicked Game
10- Voices
11- Call My Name
12- We Will Remember
13- In This Life
14- Burn

I really dont have problem with this list, they're good, but not the best.

Ok here's my final album the bad ones. It's called: In Flames - Here Until Forever

1- Paralyzed
2- Monsters In The Ballroom
3- The Truth
4- Here Until Forever
5- All The Pain
6- This is Our House
It might be called an EP, but they're so fucking bad. I wish they never released this one. :D

To be fair though, wasn't the drums on Battles programmed entirely? I think they sound much more organic on I, The Mask although nothing special.
They were programmed and then played based upon those programmed drums.

The excellent: double album, songs rated with 8 or 9.

1. Everything's Gone
2. Paralyzed
3. With Eyes Wide Open
4. Rusted Nail
5. The Chase
6. The End
7. In My Room
8. Before I Fall
9. Battles
10. Wallflower
11. I, The Mask
12. I Am Above
13. Follow Me
14. Burn
15. Deep Inside
16. All The Pain

The good: double album, songs rated with 6 or 7.

1. In Plain View
2. Through Oblivion
3. Siren Charms
4. When The World Explodes
5. Monsters In The Ballroom
6. Filtered Truth
7. Become The Sky
8. Drained
9. Through My Eyes
10. Save me
11. Greatest Greed
12. Voices
13. Call My Name
14. We Will Remember
15. Stay With Me
16. Not Alone

The average and the bad: EP, songs rated with 5 or less.

1. Dead Eyes
2. Like Sand
3. The Truth
4. Underneath My Skin
5. Here Until Forever
6. Us Against The World
7. House
8. In This Life

The most excellent songs are from ITM (6)
The most good are from SC (7)
The most average/bad are from Battles (5)