The Great Debate(solo)John Petrucci

Hey Drewski!

I'm a member of the Petrucci forum (as Pickdreams) and saw your thread there. Great job! Definitely well articulated, great chops!

Chris, it works fine for me. I can download it and send it to you via E-mail if you wish.

Kel

JazzIII said:
Hey Drewski!

I'm a member of the Petrucci forum (as Pickdreams) and saw your thread there. Great job! Definitely well articulated, great chops!

Chris, it works fine for me. I can download it and send it to you via E-mail if you wish.

Kel

Hey JazzIII I didn't know you where on this forum. I've seen you around on the JP forum so now I know you're here too. Cool.

Chris, I don't really have anywhere else to upload stuff to but soundclick unfortunately, but JazzIII can send it to you via email or I can send it. Wichever way. Thank you for taking interest. It is so cool to be chatting with THE MAN himself on this forum let alone having him listen to my recording. Thanks JazzIII and Chris!

Sicerely, Drewski

drewski said:
Hi, I'm new on this forum and I just finished recording this guitar solo. Since it was spring break for me(I'm 18 and am finishing high school thank God) I decided to learn and record this solo.

Man, if only I had this technique when I was friggin 18... :tickled:
Congrats, very well done, especially considering your age!
Do you have anything of your own recorded? If so, post it!

SickBoy said:
Man, if only I had this technique when I was friggin 18... :tickled:
Congrats, very well done, especially considering your age!
Do you have anything of your own recorded? If so, post it!

Thanks SickBoy! I was working on an instrumental because people were wanting to here some original stuff. I got started on recording it and I have all of the rhythm guitars and bass down but I've yet to record the the leads and all the overdubs. The really bad news is that I can't continue working on it anytime soon. The reason being is that lately my left arm has been bothering me and my wrists have been cracking a little. So I'm taking time off from playing guitar to see if it gets better and if not off to the doctor I go. I'm actually really scared because music and guitar is my life and I am planning on going to Berklee after high school so this isn't good news for me. But I'm trying to stay positive about it. Hopefully it gets better and if it does I'll get to work on the song again.

Thanks, Drewski

JazzIII said:
Hey Drewski!

Kel
Hey JazzIII,
send it my way. I am always up for a good solo.
Chris.

Hey quite impressive. I am currently learning John's solo in "Voices", song on the album "Awake". I just hope I will make it sound cool like you did with this one. Very well done, real impressive considering your age, right (I'm only 20.. so I'm not so old either), but considering the complexity of the solo. Many guitar player would have a hard time playing this, being 40 or 18.

{D|aBo|uS} said:
Hey quite impressive. I am currently learning John's solo in "Voices", song on the album "Awake". I just hope I will make it sound cool like you did with this one. Very well done, real impressive considering your age, right (I'm only 20.. so I'm not so old either), but considering the complexity of the solo. Many guitar player would have a hard time playing this, being 40 or 18.

Thanks {D|aBo|uS}. Good luck with the Voices solo it's a good one, it has a nice bluesy feel to it until he starts rippin it up with the arpeggios :headbang:

Oh yeah make sure to warm up before. Don't end up like me! :confused:

Nice Solo!!!
It sounds like a very seasoned player performed it, from the intervalic stuff to the bends. Even the tone reminded me of Petrucci.
Great Job, Chris.

Chris_Broderick said:
Nice Solo!!!
It sounds like a very seasoned player performed it, from the intervalic stuff to the bends. Even the tone reminded me of Petrucci.
Great Job, Chris.

Thanks alot Chris!! Thanks for taking the time to listen. You are one of my favorite guitar players and Panzer is one of my top 3 favorite bands so your opinion means ALOT to me. I highly appreciate it.

Thanks again, Drewski. :)

drewski said:
Thanks SickBoy! I was working on an instrumental because people were wanting to here some original stuff. I got started on recording it and I have all of the rhythm guitars and bass down but I've yet to record the the leads and all the overdubs.

Make sure you post it here, allright? ;)

The really bad news is that I can't continue working on it anytime soon. The reason being is that lately my left arm has been bothering me and my wrists have been cracking a little.

Hope it all works out well for you, man...
Hey, you really are a Petrucci freak, aren't you? ;)
I've listened to the other clips of yours on Soundclick and all are very well performed, but I somehow feel that Overture was recorded first, am I right? You might as well change your nick to "Seasoned Drewski" :tickled:

Like Chris said, your bends and vibratos are really "seasoned", not the usual very stiff sounding stuff with jerky vibratos you can mostly hear from average hard practicing budding guitarists. That's easily heard in Satriani's Always With Me... you put on Soundclick. Most of them manage to reach certain speed, even clarity in their playing, but God forbid that they rest on some half note or even whole note... ;) Besides the right practice regime, you seem to have the feel for the guitar itself, that's why I'd like to hear some of your own stuff.

SickBoy said:
Make sure you post it here, allright? ;)

Hope it all works out well for you, man...
Hey, you really are a Petrucci freak, aren't you? ;)
I've listened to the other clips of yours on Soundclick and all are very well performed, but I somehow feel that Overture was recorded first, am I right? You might as well change your nick to "Seasoned Drewski" :tickled:

Like Chris said, your bends and vibratos are really "seasoned", not the usual very stiff sounding stuff with jerky vibratos you can mostly hear from average hard practicing budding guitarists. That's easily heard in Satriani's Always With Me... you put on Soundclick. Most of them manage to reach certain speed, even clarity in their playing, but God forbid that they rest on some half note or even whole note... ;) Besides the right practice regime, you seem to have the feel for the guitar itself, that's why I'd like to hear some of your own stuff.

Yeah.. I am one dude having a hard time with bending and vibratos... Some of you who have listened to my songs on Soundclick probably noticed it. But you are really good at bending Drewski. Don't know how I could get those perfect like yours... ???

{D|aBo|uS} said:
Yeah.. I am one dude having a hard time with bending and vibratos... Some of you who have listened to my songs on Soundclick probably noticed it. But you are really good at bending Drewski. Don't know how I could get those perfect like yours... ???

Thanks alot for your kind comments Sick Boy. I haven't played guitar since Friday(25) and I don't plan on trying to play until Saturday(2) just to let the arm rest. So as we all can imagine my chops will be a little rusty. But if I feel OK I'll practice hard to get the chops back and start on the song again.

{D|aBo|uS} I think that is a direct result of how I've been developing as a guitar player. Alot of guys start out playing shred stuff. I on the other hand started playing more simple stuff like blues, Black Sabbath, and more simple stuff of that nature. So I think that's helped that aspect of my playing alot because I only started getting into all the shred stuff until recently.

{D|aBo|uS} said:
Hey {D|aBo|uS}
Don't sweat it. Most people who don't have finesse or a seasoned sound is because they simply can't hear the difference yet. If you are hearing it you will make it happen. If you listen to my older stuff (Industrial Eden), it's a little ruff around the edges, so we are all still working on our chops. 5 years from now, I will listen to the Jag CD's I've done and think to myself
"you hack" (Ahhahaha!!!)
Take care, Chris.

Chris_Broderick said:
Hey {D|aBo|uS}
Don't sweat it. Most people who don't have finesse or a seasoned sound is because they simply can't hear the difference yet. If you are hearing it you will make it happen. If you listen to my older stuff (Industrial Eden), it's a little ruff around the edges, so we are all still working on our chops. 5 years from now, I will listen to the Jag CD's I've done and think to myself
"you hack" (Ahhahaha!!!)
Take care, Chris.

Yeah, what he said. :wave:
No, seriously, thanks for explaining that Chris.

Chris, did the second link I put up not work for you also("yousendit")? I'm just asking because I'm trying to find a place that works for everyone. So if you have a particular place that works for you, you can post it here so I can join there also.
Thanks, Drewski.

drewski said:
Yeah, what he said. :wave:
No, seriously, thanks for explaining that Chris.

Chris, did the second link I put up not work for you also("yousendit")? I'm just asking because I'm trying to find a place that works for everyone. So if you have a particular place that works for you, you can post it here so I can join there also.
Thanks, Drewski.
Hey Drewski,
It did work, don't know what the deal is with SC but it's pissed me off numerous times. It could be that it doesn't work well with winamp(latest version) but that would be odd.
Take care, Chris.