The Great Escape (song)

Hi guys! :wave:

I'm glad to ear that I'm not the only one that is feeling addicted and seduced by this last SW 30mins very touching masterpiece (one of the best, not the best, since MF dig them all, according to me) :p but...

...Why is there no one discussing about the concept details? Am I really the only one that didn't understand perfectly all the passages of the storyline? :err:

I have one doubt about the last chapter: who's talking? And who's he talking to? whose the lone heart survived? I think that maybe it isn't the same dialog of the beginning, between "the Earth" and the "man", otherwise I can't explain the "one Heart still beats"... o_O

have you got any ideas? :err:

...Why is there no one discussing about the concept details? Am I really the only one that didn't understand perfectly all the passages of the storyline? :err:.....

Dream Runner, maybe you can use the link below which will direct you to an online article. It's a big piece, but I'm sure it'll help you to better understand a few passages.

Andreas, in the "Aniara online-resource"-thread:
....this is a pretty cool online resource where the author discusses the story in the book. Some of his conclusions and interpretations I do not share, others I do. Either way I think it might help you appreciate TGE more by spending some time with this page.

http://www.ips-planetarium.org/planetarian/articles/aniara.html

I have taken some liberties in the name of artistic freedom in my rendition of this novel, as I felt it necessary to keep the story progressing in an at least somewhat understandable fashion, with the limited space (no pun intended) I had at my disposal...

I really appreciate your help Kazar.

I have just read some wiki articles about instead of andreas' original link you gave me, because of the page seems shutted down for unknown reasons.
However, as the wiki infos are simply incomplete, I'll search around the web for more of "Aniara".

I'm sad I didn't know nothing about this novel and the author himself.

Thanks a lot

Most of times, long songs come boring. TGE flows like a river, and when it's done, you couldn't even believe you've listened to a 30-minutes suite..... Unbelievable.

That has happened to me nearly every time I've listened to TGE "the song" (ie. putting the disc on purely to hear that one track). Before I know it, it's over, and not because I wasn't paying attention. It's just so good that it almost seems *too* short (ie. leaves me wanting more), despite being over 30 minutes!!!

The rest of the CD is stellar as well...definitely my CD of the year for 2010, and I fully expect it'll wind up in my "Top 10 CDs I own" (out of over 1200 discs, mostly prog/progmetal).

Thanks to the band for the hard work...it shows, and it's appreciated!!!

Craig

I hope it's ok to kind of revive this thread, but I quickly tried to search the forum for my question but couldn't find anything, and now I think it fits here the best.
I was just reading my booklet and I found an equation on the last lyrics page (white page of "The Great Escape" song). I couldn't read it completely but something along a sum of integrals of e^iwx.
Can anybody explain why this is there?? I thought it didn't match the song, but maybe I'm wrong.

Hey futilite,

I feel that the equations do have a meaning in the context of the song.

Equations are a part of mathematics and in a certain phase on board the ship, especially 'mathematics' played a huge part in the lives of the people:
after the period of 'LUST' (part 9), the period of 'REASON' (part 10) began. The lyrics go like this: "And as the orgies all fade and lust no longer attracts, then the brain will subdue the flesh, put the focus on facts".
The brain/mind had taken control over the flesh - 'Facts' is used as a metaphor for 'structure'/'mathematics' (i.e reason).

A fantastic thing to add, IMO:
the very technical playing of the band between 'Lust' and 'Reason' (the awesome proggy part) is there for a special reason indeed: an (almost) mathematical way of playing, showing the transision the people underwent in that phase while onboard the ship.

What do you think...?

So. Over a year since this song was first heard.
On winamps play count i have listened to this song... Wait for it. Wait for it!.. 694 times. That's 20thousand 8 hundred and 20 minutes. Subtract maybe the 800 for times that i got halfway through the song and had to go do something else. Then go ahead and add half of that amount again for the amount of times i listen to it on my ipod.
This is truly, the one song that i can't live without. I listen to it on a daily basis. I still find new things hidden within it though, a couple of weeks back i heard an awesome bass section being played underneath everything and realised that, if some of the great composers were alive today, Bhetoven, motzart... This is the type of composition they would be producing.

And i still stick by my first posts criticism's. The only one being, I want to hear more of jenny's voice.

Hey futilite,

I feel that the equations do have a meaning in the context of the song.

Equations are a part of mathematics and in a certain phase on board the ship, especially 'mathematics' played a huge part in the lives of the people:
after the period of 'LUST' (part 9), the period of 'REASON' (part 10) began. The lyrics go like this: "And as the orgies all fade and lust no longer attracts, then the brain will subdue the flesh, put the focus on facts".
The brain/mind had taken control over the flesh - 'Facts' is used as a metaphor for 'structure'/'mathematics' (i.e reason).

A fantastic thing to add, IMO:
the very technical playing of the band between 'Lust' and 'Reason' (the awesome proggy part) is there for a special reason indeed: an (almost) mathematical way of playing, showing the transision the people underwent in that phase while onboard the ship.

What do you think...?

I'm sure I heard that one of the sections around Reason is in some very mad time signature, like 32/11 or something. Which heavily hints at the mathematics theme.