The Greatest Underground Metal Riff of All Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hatebreeder

Pizzicato Heartstrings
I'm sure there have been plenty of threads talking about metal's greatest riffs having been created by the genre's seminal greats, but what about underground bands? In some ways, the most fulfilling riffs cannot be found in the classics but in the underground scene where success is not measured by records sold but by musical influence and artistic integrity. What do you think?

As for me, I like the riffs off Darkthrone's "A Blaze In the Northern Sky" quite a bit, and Burzum's early material (a la "Burzum/Aske") is quite nice. Just a couple to get the thread started.

the opening riff to Morbid Angel's Maze Of Torment
Bathory's The Reaper
Napalm Death's entire riffs in the song "Scum"
the opening riff of Venom's Welcome To Hell (the song, not the album)

Reactions: King Richard
Mourning Beloveth - Narcissistic Funeral (best song ever) - the riff before the clean vocal part. as well as the riff after the first "verse"

Arghoslent - Flogging the Cargo, intro riff
Primordial - The Coffin Ships, main riff
Sacramentum - Fog's Kiss, one of the bridge riffs
Forgotten Tomb - Disenheartenment, main riff
The Chasm - A Portal to Nowhere, riff after the first riff (or the riff between the vocals. anyone who knows the song knows the riff I'm talking about)
Dissection - Night's Blood (the slower paced riff that is first played on the acoustic guitar, then electric)

Dissection - Night's Blood (the slower paced riff that is first played on the acoustic guitar, then electric)

One of my favorite parts also.

let me add.

Dissection-Thorns Of Crimson Death

3:02 to 3:27

ZYKLON - SPECIMEN ERUPTION - intro riff :headbang:

Decapitated - Revelation of Existence Trip - intro riff

Emperor - Tongue of Fire - that riff after the singing part, after the interlude...

Opeth - The Moor - entire fucking song, period, end of discussion......also the riff in 'When' before and during the first solo, TNATSW (whole song)....ummmm...the acoustic riff on "Black Rose Immortal", the ending riffs on The Baying of The Hounds :headbang:

Edge of Sanity - Crimson II - entire fucking album!!! :headbang:

ZYKLON - SPECIMEN ERUPTION - intro riff :headbang:

Compare that riff to Mayhem's "Pagan Fears". Sounds very similar, particularly with the drumming in mind.

Emperor - Tongue of Fire - that riff after the singing part, after the interlude...

:kickass:

Opeth - The Moor - entire fucking song, period, end of discussion......also the riff in 'When' before and during the first solo, TNATSW (whole song)....ummmm...the acoustic riff on "Black Rose Immortal", the ending riffs on The Baying of The Hounds :headbang:

Opeth riffs are brilliant indeed.

Right now
Varathron - Son of the Moon (act II)
and Coroner - Masked Jacal
are burning my brain.

Status
Not open for further replies.