circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
The Haunted – rEVOLVEr
Century Media Records – October 19th, 2004
By Jason Jordan

572thehauntedcover.gif

Everywhere you turn, The Haunted are being heralded for 2004’s rEVOLVEr. Magazines, webzines, and other miscellaneous metal outlets are rapidly naming the group in their annual “Top 17.3 Bands That Will Rule Rhode Island in 2017” feature; or something as inane as that. Frankly, though, I don’t see why all this praise is necessary, because the aforementioned album is pretty average.

“No Compromise” starts off rEVOLVEr with an injection of Swedish melo-death, as you know. There are some catchy hooks scattered amongst the song’s structure, and instrumentation is adequate. The production is slightly edgier than I was expecting, but it’s of no consequence. I actually like the beginning to “99.” The verses are energetic, but – soon enough – the bland choruses intrude and dull the opus. “Abysmal” is mellow, and horrible clean vocalizations accompany. “All Against All” is a relatively safe investment due to its inviting riffage, punctuating drumbeats, and anger-infused vokills. “Sweet Relief” is all right. “Burnt to a Shell” sees the band return to the “Abysmal” formula, which is utterly atrocious. The Haunted can’t pull off the Pantera-esque ballads; those aforesaid compositions fall flat on their faces. “Who Will Decide” is fueled by pure aggression, whereas “Nothing Right” is more organized and, ultimately, more rewarding. “Liquid Burns” is skippable. “Fire Alive” and “Smut King” – however – are absolutely great, because they both utilize such powerful riffing. Hints of Nightrage show up now and again. “My Shadow” isn’t worth a look, though.

Thus, we come to the end of rEVOLVEr. I know I may be in the journalistic minority on this one, but I didn’t find enough redeeming qualities within The Haunted’s latest to deem it anything above capable. In other words, this rEVOLVEr mostly shot blanks.

7/10

Official The Haunted website
Official Century Media Records website

These guys have been overrated since Day One. They're not a terrible band, but the second coming of Slayer or Kreator? :tickled: Come on! I think they write very average songs and I can think of about 20 bands off the top of my head that are faster and heavier.

Peter's psychotic country singer clean vocals ROCK FUCKING ASS. These guys above me dont know what the hell they are talking about. Burnt to a shell kicks ass and MY shadow is fucking great. My two favorites on the album actually. This album rocks and anybody who says differently should get run over by a bus and then pissed on by a dog.

I liked this album quiet a bit... 9/10, somewhere around there. This album has some of the catchiest riffs and angriest vocals I've herd in a while. Peter just sounds like one truly angry person... It's not put on or an act. Not to mention his clear vocals are great. I will admit that the first time I heard the album I was dissapointed, but after another spin or two, I fell in love with it.

I saw the Haunted in concert a couple weeks ago and they didn't dissapoint.

The Haunted fucking rule!!!!!! I have rEVOLVEr and One Kill Wonder and they both get at least a 9/10!

Saw them live in Portsmouth on the 1st March and it was fantastic! There is a reason why they are being praised you know....