The Haunted........Update By Dolving

Deadly Embrace

TL PREACHER
Feb 27, 2002
Bay Area
www.sfmetal.com
THE HAUNTED Singer: Expect A 'Meaner' Attitude On New Album

THE HAUNTED frontman Peter Dolving recently took time out to answer a few questions on the band's official forum. The following are some of his responses pertaining to the progress of the songwriting sessions for the group's new studio album and the band's future plans:

On the new material:

Peter Dolving: "The new songs? Jeez, that's hard. Expect less serial-killing themes, and a meaner attitude all over — more 'song'-songs, less 'riff-o-mania'. I really don't know how to describe it — more live-oriented?"

"These songs we've been working on now have been built in a very old-fashioned rock 'n' roll way of making songs — [someone] comes up with something — someone else picks up on it we jam, discuss, jam some more go home and think about the stuff, then go back and work it 'till it feels cool.

Peter Dolving: "The aim is to make us all puke — and I mean that in a good way..."

On the next album's possible release date:

Peter Dolving: "I have no idea when it'll be released, I don't see it as my job to worry about that kind of stuff — I write and sing."

On upcoming live performances:

Peter Dolving: "Live, as always we'll play old and new stuff. I won't even try to sing in [previous vocalist] Marco [Aro]'s style - I can't sing like him, he's got more of a brutal growling approach. Me, I guess I'm more of the angst-ridden [hardcore]-screamer I always was."

On whether THE HAUNTED is his top priority at the moment:

Peter Dolving: "THE HAUNTED is indeed my No. 1 priority from now on. I will definitely continue releasing albums and tour with the PETER DOLVING BAND, but only in relation to what works with THE HAUNTED schedule."

From BlabberMouth.Net

DE, you said that the Melodic Death genre is your overall favorite. The VAST majority of what I buy is the same (Terror 2000, Dimension Zero...)

But of all this metal, I say that The Haunted is the most brutal and the rawest of all of them. No way to put a meter to the music to find out, just my thoughts. I've never seen most of these bands live (never seen The Haunted), so maybe your perspective is different -- but based on recorded stuff, would you not agree?

Insania said:
DE, you said that the Melodic Death genre is your overall favorite. The VAST majority of what I buy is the same (Terror 2000, Dimension Zero...)

But of all this metal, I say that The Haunted is the most brutal and the rawest of all of them. No way to put a meter to the music to find out, just my thoughts. I've never seen most of these bands live (never seen The Haunted), so maybe your perspective is different -- but based on recorded stuff, would you not agree?
Well first off I think Terror 2000 is more Thrash than Death, love them just the same though........The Haunted was the first real band to turn me into this Genre........Eric gave Chuck a copy of their debut album(self titled), & I got to hear soon afterwards, Testament then picked them to open up for them on THe Gathering US Tour.......I was lucky to see them every night, for the whole tour.....This was before my favorite Haunted album was out(The Haunted Made Me Do It).......every night I saw them they were so powerful, I think their live performances are better than they are portrayed on their albums......
especially the last one One Kill Wonder, the production was not the best......
But they are great guys also........From The Silent Twins.......To the very genuine & talkative Marco & Jensen.......to the joint smoking madman behind the drums ...Perr.......In fact the guys in Testament really think he's one of the best drummers out their.......Also I really like thier guitar riffs, and thier powerful volcals over it........I think The Haunted are more thrash than Death,
but they are on the line between both worlds(Thrash/Melodic Death) and have captured the attention of fans of both genre's......Thats a good thing, The Haunted Fuck'n Rule!

PS......I do think Carnal Forge(The More You Suffer), is one step more raw & brutal than The Haunted, both are great bands ............But I still like The Haunted alittle more........but they are simular thats for sure........

About 6 months ago I asked the board if The Haunted ever opened up for Testament, and got no response. I met this guy during the Gathering stop in Sac, (we've been to many metal shows since), and at the Avalon Testament show this year, told me that we saw The Haunted and I didn't believe him.

So, I got to see one of my now-favorite bands and I don't fuckin' remember it...

What I do remember is Testament's Lombardo on drums and Murphy on guitar -- it was at this now-demolished bar in Roseville -- it was one of the first shows I saw in the '90s (I missed most of that decade in the service). At the time, I only had up to Demonic, didn't have the Gathering yet, and I still remember the DNR opening having never heard it before. Killer.

That line between Thrash/Melodic death is thin-- While I think The Haunted is the roughest, Witchery is by far my favorite...

Insania said:
That line between Thrash/Melodic death is thin-- While I think The Haunted is the roughest, Witchery is by far my favorite...
And also try Hatesphere...........very close to The Haunted's style.........In fact their new EP....Hatesphere-Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, And Something Black...........Is Fuck'n awesome!