The "HOLY FUCK MARYLAND DEATHFEST WAS SOOOOO AWESOME ARGHHHHHH" Thread

The guy behind me that's covered in blood is the friend that I brought, he just started posting here last week.

The three people in the back next to Virus Gravy are the only people who I don't know who they are. Oh, and the dude behind Zeph.

around Grant is Cook-ta, Seed, and Tyler who I can't remember if he is a regular are not but I'm pretty sure he's not.

Nikki, I think you were headbanging next to me during Bolt Thrower. I was going to say hi after the set, but you took off like a my pals.

I can't wait to be publicly humiliated by the drunk vids.

That was a nice shot of the group you got though Nikki.

Nick has some cool pics of bands + people I think. There is an awesome pic of me, Nick, my friend Dan and Jeremy/Seed all wearing different Devourment shirts, posed in a very slam-death-band-esque fashion, all angry and stoic.

Yeah, that was kinda nice.

I'm sure some of our neighbors fucking hated us though, haha

I didn't even notice you, sorry. :p

I'm assuming it was you based on the picture you just posted, but I could be wrong. I'm talking about their first set.

I can't wait to be publicly humiliated by the drunk vids.

ceen it

at least you guys didn't get kicked out of your room ;)

We did. Somebody probably complained. They acknowledged that they don't actually give a shit though as long as we're quiet afterward. We all came back to the room like a half hour later and nobody said anything for the rest of the weekend.

My MDF musical experience, btw:

Mayhem's set was disappointing due to the poor guitar sound and poor guitarists in general. Ashpyx fucking ruled so god damn fucking hard despite playing an abbreviated set. Closing with The Rack is still the best thing ever. God damnit.

Hail of Bullets put on a good show despite their material not being terribly interesting, in my opinion. Brutal Truth provided a great opportunity for us to head out for some good. Coming back just in time to see Immolation completely destroy as well. They may have had the best stage presence of all the bands. Atheist was great for the most part, though the guitars could have been better, and I would've liked to have heard more Unquestionable Presence and less Elements. Bolt Thrower...what the fuck. Yeah. They just flattened the entire crowd basically.

For some reason, Absu's set was oddly quiet. I was up front and was able to hold a normal conversation easily during songs, so what the fuck. But they played THE THRICE IS GREATEST TO NINNIGAL, so it's all good. I would have liked to have seen Absu with Shaftiel and Equitant, but the new line up put on a great show too. I like that they have another guy up front providing supporting vocals now. Abscess I more heard than saw because I was recuperating from getting my ass kicked and hair pulled during Absu, but they sounded excellent. Wish I had the energy to get a better view of them, but I rested up to watch AURA NOIR, who put on a surprisingly very tight set. They also really had a great stage presence, even as a three piece, and they just sounded flawless. I think the newer material comes off better live than on record too. Destroyer 666 was just Destroyer 666. Amazing set, though afterward I wished they would've played UNCHAINTHEWOLVESUNCHAINTHEWOLVESUNCHAINTHEWOLVESSE TTHEMFUCKINGWILD. They may have if the venue would've let them continue to play, since nobody was coming on after them. I was able to get backstage to watch Sigh's set, and despite not being very familiar with most of their material, they really put on a tremendous show. I definitely plan on exploring their material more.

Nick has some cool pictures (of people and bands) when he gets online and uploads 'em. One of my favorites includes me, Nick, my friend Dan and Jeremy/Seed wearing different Devourment shirts and posing in a very stoic, slam-death-band-esque fashion. I thought it was a pretty effective parody.

I managed somehow to totally avoid Matt yet still talk plenty to Ray/cook-ta, Brandon/swizzlenuts and Jean-Pierre, which was simultaneously amusing and confusing considering how much the Morbid Knocking crew was together. Both J-P and Brandon attempted to kill me via strangling attempts, but said attempts were in vain. Ray didn't try to kill me, and for that I greatly respect him. Some more highlights below:

-Grant's various hilarious drunken behaviors incl. but not limited to "'Grant, I thought you were--' 'A GHOST!?'" and his soon-to-be-posted drunken air guitaring/air drumming to Darkthrone. Oh, and he also tells people to fuck off a hell of a lot more when drunk, which is funny.

-Front row Devourment with Guy/addo and Schmidt/yoda. I think every bouncer unloaded two whole water bottles on the front row, which was both refreshing and fucking annoying.

-facepalming at Dillon/viewer for stealing the elevator up/down light-covers (oh, sorry I meant touching them and subsequently noticing that they came off and then subsequently just taking them)

-Nick telling Dillon, Jeremy, and the other dudes to "shut the fuck up" when they came in at 6 AM drunk as fuck and boisterous. That was awesome. If it aids in people understanding why it was awesome, it's mainly because Nick is quiet and really reserved and it takes a lot to get him sufficiently angry to say something like that.

-Amazing sets and thrashing/headbanging/being fucking crushed during Bolt Thrower, Asphyx, Hail of Bullets, Aura Noir, Absu, Devourment, Sigh and a few more, thought almost everything I saw was at least fun/good enough.

-A reminder why I don't do pits/circle pits; I am way too fragile and small to pull it off...it's lame anyway *cry*

-Superfresh, and many people's virgin trips there. May ye all be scarred eternally...fun fact: "Maze of Torment" was written about the Baltimore Superfresh.

-Epic beer table. Pic possibly forthcoming.

-Meeting the people I hadn't ever met yet; you guys made the experience enjoyable as fuck, in addition to all the old friends I've known since last year and previously sometimes, and the two dudes who don't even use UM who came by my recommendation, Tyler and Tom (who were really cool and might be joining the forum soon). *"awwwww" crowd sound* (no but seriously its true)

-Merch rooms + outside merch + lots of great hidden gems and awesome stuff = wallet rape, all weekend long. Guy and I, for instance, seriously probably would have spent our entire life savings if we had total access to it.

More as I think of them. Feel free to amend my list with your own if you were there and remember something I don't.

edit: Re: band's sets. I agree with Matt on Bolt Thrower, both times they played (the second was inside in place of Pestilence, fuck them anyway)...the crowd became a gigantic amorphous bulldozer/steamroller/other heavy machinery of your choice (tank might be more apt) during both of their incredibly solid sets. Also, Jo Bench looks like she's aging backwards, a feeling various people I spoke with agreed upon. Also saw Willets a few times in the merch room in transit to the back areas and just kind of wandering around. I also agree on HOB, who I didn't like the album of, but who kicked a lot of ass in the live arena (and essentially played the entire album, just out of order and minus a few songs). I can't really agree on Mayhem, I thought their sound was solid, but I came in slightly late for them and don't know if my arrival was post-fixing the sound, which I heard happened around 3-4 songs in(?). Absu, I didn't feel was quiet, but that they were waaaay too fucking bassy which is pretty much the opposite of how a lot of their stuff sounds (I don't think that offhand I can think of a moment in Tara where the bass is interesting/prominent, for instance), and Proscriptor was really underwhelming. Their setlist was cool, though they didn't honor my request of THRAAAAASHSTORMS...hearing people yell Absu songs as requests is funny because they don't have many catchy titles to yell...I laughed at a guy yelling "THE MAGICIAN'S LAPIS LAZULI" for some reason. Also, if you heard someone doing the trademark Proscriptor-high pitched falsetto, it was likely me.

Speaking of seeing band members, a couple people in our rooms saw Van Drunen making out with some woman (I'm not sure if he's married or what) super-intensely, which is both disturbing and hilarious. A few of us saw Mirai and Mikannibal of Sigh walking around hand in hand throughout the Plaza and the hill to the Sonar. Don't know who else saw Götz of Deathevokation (tall blond dude with a white Deathevokation shirt, blue logo) but a good chunk of my weekend was spent seeking him out for a fucking shirt he said he had (which I told him I would be glad to pay more than he was even asking for it), which never manifested itself to me. I still shook his hand a few times and chatted with him, so it's all good.

tldr: there is no tldr version, fuck off and die.

Mayhem's set was disappointing due to the poor guitar sound and poor guitarists in general. Ashpyx fucking ruled so god damn fucking hard despite playing an abbreviated set. Closing with The Rack is still the best thing ever. God damnit.

Hail of Bullets put on a good show despite their material not being terribly interesting, in my opinion. Brutal Truth provided a great opportunity for us to head out for some good. Coming back just in time to see Immolation completely destroy as well. They may have had the best stage presence of all the bands. Atheist was great for the most part, though the guitars could have been better, and I would've liked to have heard more Unquestionable Presence and less Elements. Bolt Thrower...what the fuck. Yeah. They just flattened the entire crowd basically.

For some reason, Absu's set was oddly quiet. I was up front and was able to hold a normal conversation easily during songs, so what the fuck. But they played THE THRICE IS GREATEST TO NINNIGAL, so it's all good. I would have liked to have seen Absu with Shaftiel and Equitant, but the new line up put on a great show too. I like that they have another guy up front providing supporting vocals now. Abscess I more heard than saw because I was recuperating from getting my ass kicked and hair pulled during Absu, but they sounded excellent. Wish I had the energy to get a better view of them, but I rested up to watch AURA NOIR, who put on a surprisingly very tight set. They also really had a great stage presence, even as a three piece, and they just sounded flawless. I think the newer material comes off better live than on record too. Destroyer 666 was just Destroyer 666. Amazing set, though afterward I wished they would've played UNCHAINTHEWOLVESUNCHAINTHEWOLVESUNCHAINTHEWOLVESSE TTHEMFUCKINGWILD. They may have if the venue would've let them continue to play, since nobody was coming on after them. I was able to get backstage to watch Sigh's set, and despite not being very familiar with most of their material, they really put on a tremendous show. I definitely plan on exploring their material more.

Asphyx and Aura Noir definitely destroyed the fucking planet. I need to hear more of their stuff. Bolt Thrower was immaculate too of course.

Wolves in the Throne Room was pretty interesting. I'll have to try their music out in a less 'pumped' setting.

I watched WITTR for all of 3 or so minutes before deciding they sounded like total shit and didn't belong at MDF, and I also couldn't find any of the apparent 10+ people I knew down in the club so...fuck that.

More as I think of them. Feel free to amend my list with your own if you were there and remember something I don't.

The fucking weird-ass Romanian dude who claimed to be a prophet because he was born on 7/7/77, thinks the world is going to end in 2012, and also claimed that this MDF was the last one there will be because it was the 7th. There was so much more hilarious bullshit he spewed off during his brief stay in our room, but those were the highlights.

The fact that Alex (sadistik) basically never had a sober moment the entire weekend, and spent much of it stumbling about in a drunken haze, mumbling random shit, and going on and on about how fine Jo Bench is. :lol:

The fact that Tyler and Tom killed about 4-5 fucking liters of vodka and other liquor over the weekend. I mean, holy fuck guys.

Getting completely assraped in the front of the crowd for Mayhem and Bolt Thrower. There were times I wondered if I was going to suffocate due to all the weight upon me from all sides. It was totally sweet.

Rocking the fuck out with Zeph during Sigh's cover of "Black Metal".

Oh, and the fact that during our party sessions Andy would talk just as rapidly and exuberantly as all the drunk guys, despite not being the slightest bit drunk.

That's about all I've got for now.