The Horror: Have I actually damaged my hearing? :|

Fox Mulder

The Truth Is Out There
Jan 22, 2009
Dhaka, Bangladesh
So last week I was at my friend's rehearsal session while they were auditioning a new drummer. I remember standing pretty close to the drummer out of curiosity and finding it pretty irritating as he hit the cymbals :Smug:. And now, I don't know if it's mere stress or anything, but I feel that I'm unable to detect subtle stuff like mild eq changes and such. :err: It's been like this for a week and I'm getting pretty frustrated. Could it be just stress, as I've been super-busy in the past few weeks. Or is it that I've really damaged my hearing? If so, have any of you experienced stuff like this before? Is this reversible?:guh:

Thanks in advance, and please pray for me.

try and give your hearing a rest and don't listen to anything or mix for about a week. get plenty of rest and try not to worry about it. i have had the same thing happen to me from loud feedback from a pa and it got better. after about a week try to do a hearing test. you can take one on the internet if you dont want to go to an audiologist.

remember to always wear earplugs in loud environments. especially if your going to be exposed to it for very long. check out musicians earplugs that let you hear the music clear but lower the decibels. just try not to worry, you should be fine.

yeah, try and just relax, I'm sure you will be fine. Stress is something that can really wear you out physically and emotionally. Get rid of the stress as much as possible by taking a time-out when you need it and you'll instantly feel better. Make sure you get a lot of rest mate!

Pretty normal indeed.. i always take a few days off mixing and it's funny what a difference the hearing can make in just a few days.
Nothing to worry about, just take it easy for a few.

Trust me guys, a single incident can cause permanent hearing loss, and it doesn't have to rupture your eardrum in order to do so!
Take care of your ears dudes! Once the damage is done, there's nothing that can fix it.

I feel it after long loud sound checks and long recording/mixing sessions. You just need to take a few days off- wear plugs around the house even to give them a break. Once you've gotten some rest you'll be fine again.
I never go to a gig, night club, loud bar or band practise without a set or 2 of plugs and wear em. When I do live sound I leave them out for sound checks and then stick them in after a song or so of the band playing once I'm happy with their sound and then take an ear out to check as they're playing every now and then when I need to hear something. My advise- switch ears! i used to always take out my right plug but then that gets more fatigued then the left and its uncomfortable for a few hours after till it recovers again!

Dude - this sounds stupid, but take a decongestant / sinus medication - it may be that you're getting a cold or something - it's happened to me. Didn't feel sick, by my head was a bit congested - it can seriously fuck with your hearing. That and +1 for a few days off. Seriously.

I think it's the stress, my father is really stressed due to his job in the last time
and he isn't able to understand everything well and stuff but his hearing
is totally ok, stress fucks your mind.

And about bad hearing:
I had a few ear infections and stuff when I was a few months old so my
hearing is like 30% reduced and I have a tinitus since 9 years (so since I am 12).
But you learn how to handle it, my doc said that theoratically I need a hearing aid
but I notice the most things and actually more than the many people without
hearing problems because I pay a lot of attention to
the stuff I hear (and I mean everything, from driving cars to tv and music).

Wow, lots of feedback. Does make me feel a lot better. Thanks, everyone:heh: You people are great:headbang:
+ 1

Except very high peaks 120-140 db(Weighted A) like explosions or a plane engine in your ear that can rupture your eardrum.

:pI'm pretty sure that I've never been exposed to such loud noise.

+1 to the silence comment.

Did you mix your live gigs with plugs?

I haven't done a live gig in the past year or so. But when I did, I always used plugs - except for the soundcheck.

Dude - this sounds stupid, but take a decongestant / sinus medication - it may be that you're getting a cold or something - it's happened to me. Didn't feel sick, by my head was a bit congested - it can seriously fuck with your hearing. That and +1 for a few days off. Seriously.

Wow dude, I think you've figured out the problem. I've had a bad cold last week and was too lazy to take any medication for it. Just went on a vitamin-c overdose:lol: I'll check up with my doc. Thanks!