My band The Hudson Horror releases its debut EP

WIll it be updated another time ? I want the final version before hitting the buy button :p

I like your singer. It's not the typical type of voice but I absolutely don't care, it works so it's all good !
The only thing that bothers's me in the drums programming, it's quite fine, just it sounds obvious in a few occasions it's programmed. Some parts are still slightly robotic, especially the blast beats. I have never tried to program blast beats myself, maybe it would be beneficial to look into one of those midi banks to see how they are playing "in real" velocity wise ?

Oh by the way, super tasty soloing ! I'm impressed Marcus, sounds very cool ! I love when a solo is well written and flirts with the harmony so well. Good job !

EDIT : are you in New York now ?

Thanks a bunch guys :) Mat, this is the final revision, I promise - from this point it's onward and (hopefully) upward with new material, but I appreciate the critiques on the drum programming; I tried humanizing the velocities on the snare in the blast beats, but it would always sound really weird and unnatural, making really huge jumps in volume even just between like a 124 and 126 velocity hit - guess it'll be my next challenge :D (I did humanize the timing, though, but I guess not enough - ah fuck it :lol: )

whoever doesn't like these vocals can eat shit and die. listening to the 1st track...it's like the haunted with a more pissed singer, like i ever thought that was even possible. good work homeslice.

^ How very tollerant of you, fuckhead :lol:

Made it through the whole EP. I think it's kind of awesome how I'm hearing riffs and remember them from soundchecks of yours, or from demo tracks you uploaded at some point haha
So the riffing is definitily rememberable.
It also seems that I got used to the higher vocals. Still not a huge fan of them, but I kind of get it now, and I can most definitly appriciate the energy/feeling behind them.

Thanks a bunch guys :) Mat, this is the final revision, I promise - from this point it's onward and (hopefully) upward with new material, but I appreciate the critiques on the drum programming; I tried humanizing the velocities on the snare in the blast beats, but it would always sound really weird and unnatural, making really huge jumps in volume even just between like a 124 and 126 velocity hit - guess it'll be my next challenge :D (I did humanize the timing, though, but I guess not enough - ah fuck it :lol: )

I know what you mean, what did you use for those drums, cause the blastbeats sound more like hard hits randomized in volume, than hits with lower velocities than the hard hits ?

forgot to mention that I was sparing with the gain to not exacerbate the inherent "scratchiness" in the cab

just curious, but do you use the internal boost in the krank?

i used to think my avatar 2x12 was horribly scratchy, but then i got a 6505+ and realized it wasn't coming from the cab. then i was pretty sure that it was just a part of the krank's sound...then one day i was fucking around with different pedals in front of it with the boost switch off, and voila - scratchiness gone!

Thanks dudes - Kurtz, I unfortunately already had the boost off, but that's good to know!

Marco, glad the vox grew on you, and thanks for the compliments, I still rock out to the Harpia Deiis CD pretty regularly :headbang: Mat, the drums were Metal Machine, so I'm sure it could be done - to be clear though, the blast beats are all 127 snare hits at the same volume, I just lowered the overall volume down

Hi All,

I am the vocalist for The Hudson Horror. Thanks for checking out the EP and giving feedback! As Marcus stated, a lot of my influences are crust punk, d-beat, etc. I also really enjoy black metal and more extreme stuff. The sound that I was going for with the highs was basically an inhuman howl, similar to The Black Dahlia Murder or many black metal bands... essentially goblin vs. gorilla with some shoutier mids thrown in to boot. Anyway- thanks for checking out the EP, there will be more to come.

-Dan

Hi All,

I am the vocalist for The Hudson Horror. Thanks for checking out the EP and giving feedback! As Marcus stated, a lot of my influences are crust punk, d-beat, etc. I also really enjoy black metal and more extreme stuff. The sound that I was going for with the highs was basically an inhuman howl, similar to The Black Dahlia Murder or many black metal bands... essentially goblin vs. gorilla with some shoutier mids thrown in to boot. Anyway- thanks for checking out the EP, there will be more to come.

-Dan

Well i like the highpitch screams. Sounds badass :headbang: I'd rather listen to that then generic metalcore screams all day long. And as i wrote earlier i think the EP kick's ass!!!

Thanks Egan! Also, Christian/Crillemannen was kind enough to do a quick mix of Dark Compulsions (the song) for us, and it pretty much melted my face off and shoveled my mixing skills a big fat slice of humble pie - but damn is it tasty pie :D

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/332050/The Hudson Horror - Dark Compulsions Studio Haga Mix.mp3

And for a final touch of poetic justice for those who've been here for awhile, he re-amped my DI's and got such an amazing tone from none other than the JSX :lol: (though in my defense, I was exclusively using EMG's back when I had mine and didn't like the tone, passives probably help mellow out the metallic quality I always perceived)

Yep, that's a huge improvement. I retract my previous statement about the "emptiness", it seems it was caused mostly by the mix and not the missing layers (although they wouldn't hurt). Also, the reamped guitars helped significantly, obviously.

Thanks Egan! Also, Christian/Crillemannen was kind enough to do a quick mix of Dark Compulsions (the song) for us, and it pretty much melted my face off and shoveled my mixing skills a big fat slice of humble pie - but damn is it tasty pie :D

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/332050/The Hudson Horror - Dark Compulsions Studio Haga Mix.mp3

And for a final touch of poetic justice for those who've been here for awhile, he re-amped my DI's and got such an amazing tone from none other than the JSX :lol: (though in my defense, I was exclusively using EMG's back when I had mine and didn't like the tone, passives probably help mellow out the metallic quality I always perceived)

:lol::lol::lol:

Christian did a good job for sure... As usual:D

I thought the original mix was good, but fuuuuck the new mix sounds about as professional release as it gets. FUCK!