The inevitable Best of 2008 album list

FirstStrikeIsDeadly

Fuck my aching tits
Feb 20, 2003
Fista corps
I couldn't find any stinky threads such like these on here yet, therefore, suck it in.

Feel free to adjust/add to your own likings.

Best Overall: Gojira - The Way of all Flesh
Hands down the best band to have risen up since the past few years. Massive sound, precision, fantastic live band. They've got it all.
Their latest album hasn't completely surpassed 'From Mars' personally yet, but it's amazing to see how close they've managed to come. Come on; The Art of Dying. What a fucking beast of a track! Pure brilliance!

Best Comeback: Metallica - Death Magnetic
This was a close one between Metallica's Death Magnetic, Testament's The Formation of Damnation and Cynic's Traced in Air for me. Eventually Metallica won over nostalgia and a massive surprise level.

Best Alternative: Nick Cave - Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!
Mr. Cave manages to surprise and amaze with every release. I'm glad to see he went for a bit more of a classic Cave sound on this new disc. And oh, one's gotta love that bad ass mustache!
th_79496_mustache_122_1068lo.jpg

Best Progressive (Death/thrash/fuck labels): Textures - Silhouettes
The nominees for this one were Gojira, Textures and Meshuggah.
The problem i've had with Meshuggah's latest, is the lack of fantastic songs. I feel that everytime I put Obzen on, I only end up listening to a max of 4-5 songs. The rest feels like a filler. Which is sad, because 'Bleed' has got to be one of the best songs of 2008. Textures can take this one home, because they managed to surpass the even great 'Drawing Circles'. Fantastic production, matured songwriting, great ambience, just top notch material. Best Dutch band since Pestilence!

Best Thrash: Testament - The Formation of Damnation
The nominees: Testament - the Formation of Damnation, Darkane - Demonic Art, Hexen - State of Insurgency and Zimmers Hole - When you were Shouting at the Devil...

The decision was easy, to say the least. One of the most anticipated releases for me personally, nearly a 10 years waith. After the oh-so-phat-fantastic 'The Gathering', they've managed to comeback with such an old school sounding monster of a record. Testament has been a personal favorite of mine for years. The reason they didn't take the Comeback of the year is because they've been a very solid and steady band between those two releases. With extensive touring going on. And the quality difference between the two records is relatively small. Just a fat old school stamp.

Best Booze Record: Zimmers Hole - When you Were Shouting At The Devil...We Were in League with Satan
Need I say more? The Zim' owns all these bands when it comes to a booze attack.

Most anticipated rumoured/releases for 2009:

-Terror Syndrome
-Heathen (comeback of the last decade? I surely hope so. Best thrash band)
-Pestilence (Comeback of the century?! *keeps fingers and toes crossed*
-Devin Townsend - Ki (+other scheduled projects, can't wait to find out what the best man is able to pull out of his sleeve this time.)
-Laaz Rockit
-Rammstein
-Anthrax
-Down
-Dream Theater
-Megadeth
-Borknagar
-Susperia
-Isis
-Slayer
-Artillery
-Obituary
-Iron Maiden

Well for me, Best Overall, Best Comeback, and Best Thrash would be Testament.

To your 09 release list I add, Kreator, Cannibal Corpse, Believer, and Forbidden.

Ok list, congrats Testament!...but they should have won the best comback instead...and Darkane should have won the best album followed close by Testament.
Looking forward to Susperia and Evile in 2009....
Textures are pretty cool, hadn't heard of them before actually

1. Testament - Formation of Damnation(best metal release!)
2. Bullet for My Valentine - Scream, Aim, Fire
3. Brother Firetribe - Heart Full of Fire
4. Jon Oliva's Pain - Global Warning
5. Circle II Circle - Delusions of Grandeur
6. Metallica - Death Magnetic
7. Eluveitie - Slania
8. Korpiklanni - Korven Kuningas
9. Sabaton - The Art of War
10. Evergrey - Torn

~Brian~

My favourite albums of 2008 would be

1. STEVE STEVENS - Memory Crash
2. TESTAMENT - The Formation Of Damnation
3. FIREWIND - The Premonition
4. POWER QUEST - Master Of Illusion

My favourite DVD
FIREWIND - Live Premonition

My favourite gigs
1. Yngwie Malmsteen
2. Billy Idol
3. Power Quest
4. Firewind

To me a comeback album is an album where the band has either broken up or done some real sell out work.Testament doesn't fall into that for me because their last album " the gathering" was a crusher.They picked up right where they left off and had nothing to prove, and of course did a bunch of touring.Metallica had their comeback album with "st anger" you can't have two comeback records in a row...Just my opinion

The best album (so far) released in 2009 is for sure KREATOR - Hordes of Chaos!!!

This album is truly fast old school metal!...personally I'm not a big Kreator fan, but this album is slightly different, less insane german death/thrash and more like fast melodic Thrash with great solos....more of an Exodus-sound than before.
Probably all Kreator fans would disagree, but i think this is their best album...although far from the most classic one.

Check out Hordes of Chaos asap, most of you won't be disappointed. http://www.myspace.com/officialkreator

errr,best comeback-Metallica?are you serious?if you like Textures check the new The Faceless album.
you're spot on with Heathen though.if they sound like on that 3 songs demo from 2005,they will crush any opposition.also fingers-crossed for a new Forbidden,though I would have liked Tim instead of Glen in the line-up and in the writing process.