The Kathedral is burning. . .One less metal venue

Jessica Rose

Feb 2, 2006
Toronto, Ontario
www.woodsofypres.ca
It looks like there may be one less place for Ontario metal bands to play. A six alarm fire has been blazing for the past 2 hours starting on the south east corner of Queen and Bathurst in Toronto right now. (which is where the Big Bop is- Kathedral, Reverb).

I haven't heard how bad the damage is to the building, but the stores next to it have been completely destroyed.

We've played there a couple of times, and I've been going to shows there since I was sixteen. While a dingy place, this has been the place to go for metal and punk shows.

That's terrible news.

We've lost metal venues here in Grand Rapids -- not to fire, however. One closed because the owner was evading taxes. Another closed due to lack of attendance. Each time, it felt like a part of my past had closed with it. These were landmarks in our city, cool places to see bands and hang out with friends. Now they're gone.

So I know how you must feel, Jessica.

Bill

A venue in my city closed down recently, but it was a shitty place. I saw, like, one good band there, Genghis Tron, on the night it was shut down. They told the band that if they stopped playing they would pull the plug, so GT played through their whole set without stopping. It may have been the most intense 25-30 minutes of music I've ever experienced.

That sucks! I saw WoY and Moonsorrow there last year and just loved the intimacy of the place. Hope for Toronto's sake they back on their feet.