The Last Seven Minutes: I can also has review sitez

zabu of nΩd

Free Insultation
Feb 9, 2007
Okay guys, announcement time. I don't know if any of you have checked my website recently (probably not), but I just added a new section where I'll be doing music reviews. It's called The Last Seven Minutes, after a Magma song of the same name. It roughly takes after this review site, which I'm a big fan of, but of course I add my own twist.

As you'll notice by all the fanciness, this was as much a programming project for me as a music critiquing project. I spent the better part of the past two months or so learning how to use all the languages involved, since I've had a lot of interest in web development lately. So aside from it being super-easy for me to add and update reviews, there's also a comment system for readers to leave feedback.

Albums I've reviewed so far are:

Metal:
Dream Theater - Images and Words
Dream Theater - Awake
Dream Theater - Falling Into Infinity
Dream Theater - Scenes From a Memory
Judas Priest - Stained Class
Therion - Theli
Therion - A'arab Zaraq: Lucid Dreaming
Therion - Deggial

Non-metal:
Arco Iris - Los Elementales
The Chemical Brothers - Dig Your Own Hole
Clutch - The Elephant Riders
Cocteau Twins - Treasure
Cocteau Twins - Blue Bell Knoll

As you guys know, I enjoy taking an 'objectivist' approach in evaluating music, and that's the kind of discussion I'm looking to stimulate with these reviews. Since a lot of people here seem to dislike that way of looking at music, this project will at least give me an outlet for such critique that doesn't involve making incendiary posts on the forums ;).

So if you're interested, drop by and show some luvs (or hates) in the comments. I'm not expecting this to be the new rage or anything, but if I can start a few serious discussions on the music involved, I'll be happy. Thx for teh read.

Last edited:
Aw, my GMD Regular's perks haven't run out already, have they? I'll spam more, I swear!

the changing buttons and dropdown plus signs are pretty cool.

ive had to do some webdev before and put in similar effects (by googling/copypasting)

I am actually interested in doing a collaborative review project eventually, if someone is willing to stick with it for a while and to hold to similar standards of detail and 'faux-objectivity' that I'm holding myself to.

As far as guest reviews and things of a more casual nature, I hadn't actually considered that yet, but that sounds cool too. I'm not sure how I'd structure that though. Would you want to use the exact same review format I'm using, or would you want something more customizable (or just less detail-intensive)?

Man you guys are unsupportive. Not even a compliment on the site design?

Site looks very slick and the reviews are nice & thorough. My only criticism is the header on the review page looks crappy. Bad pixelated pic with bad font. Apart from that, all good.

You're talking about the banner thing at the top with all the stage lights? Yeah, I'm no graphic designer. That was a rather low-res image I grabbed mainly because it's public domain, and for some reason my copy of GIMP has a shitty collection of fonts. I'll try and keep an eye out for better options.

Thanks for the feedback.

Your Judas Priest review morally offends me and your criteria is laughable. The site looks nice though.

Hmm... then I suppose you won't want to read the Manilla Road reviews whenever I get those finished up. :)

I do have to wonder where you think I was knocking Priest unfairly though (preferably in the review's comment section so we don't start a discussion here). Though I guess if you disagree with the whole basis of my reviewing method, you might not care about the particulars.

Noticed this a while ago. I found your reviews excessively detached. I don't like reviews that dissect music and go song by song. Also, the page is too fancy.

All the Judas Priest reviews are horrible and will prevent me from ever looking at your website ever again.

PS Sad Wings of Destiny starts with the track Prelude you fucking jackass. You've been listening to the album starting with the B side. Which is bad.

PPS:

Genocide

Undistinct and inadequate. Halford's attempt at 'soulful' singing may be rather amusing, but really - where are they going with this?

FUCK YOU. Don't ever address me again. You're not allowed to talk to me.