The Last Seven Minutes: I can also has review sitez

Sweet, a reaction.

Noticed this a while ago. I found your reviews excessively detached. I don't like reviews that dissect music and go song by song. Also, the page is too fancy.

Hmm. Could you elaborate on that a bit? I'm not sure what you mean by "detached", unless you're referring to the whole dissection thing.

As far as the level of detail goes, that's a concern of mine as well. I think it's appropriate for some bands who have a lot of content per song, but with others it's not necessary at all. I'm actually going to start a separate section of "at a glance" reviews eventually for bands that I don't feel need any more than an album-level consideration.

If your "dissection" complaint is related more to the notion that music is a subjective experience that should not be 'torn apart' or 'defiled', let me reiterate this:

I enjoy taking an 'objectivist' approach in evaluating music, and that's the kind of discussion I'm looking to stimulate with these reviews.

Yeah, that Stained Class review was pretty gay

Again, elaboration?

All the Judas Priest reviews are horrible and will prevent me from ever looking at your website ever again.

PS Sad Wings of Destiny starts with the track Prelude you fucking jackass. You've been listening to the album starting with the B side. Which is bad.

PPS:

Genocide

Undistinct and inadequate. Halford's attempt at 'soulful' singing may be rather amusing, but really - where are they going with this?

FUCK YOU. Don't ever address me again. You're not allowed to talk to me.

If you take any band seriously enough to determine your friends and enemies by, then I guess that's your problem. However, I really, truly have no clue what you're so upset about. It's pretty clear that I'm not reviewing any of these bands from the perspective of a "fanatic" of them, and I'm certainly not out to write uncritical, worshipful reviews of the kind you seem to write. This is a critiquing project, not a promotional project.

Besides, the scores I gave those Judas Priest albums were really pretty high.

That might be the one point Dodens brought up that's actually legitimate. I might fix my review to take that into account.

"Good stuff" - how polite of you. :)

Btw, I still haven't gotten to the poem you e-mailed me yet, but it'll happen soon. I've got some outdoorsy activities on the agenda for today though.

Song by song reviews contain inherent suck to begin with.

The fact that you describe Beyond the Realms of Death as "the token ballad" completely invalidates any critical music credibility you could have possibly had, also. The problem is that I don't care enough about how bad your analysis of Judas Priest is to actually go into detail about how misguided and shortsighted your criticisms are.

I enjoy taking an 'objectivist' approach in evaluating music, and that's the kind of discussion I'm looking to stimulate with these reviews.

I guess that's my problem with it; I don't think you can be purely objective. Or rather, you can, but it sucks. Obviously this means your review site is not for me, but I think a lot of people share this view, and you did create the thread, opening yourself up to the opinions of the masses.

Yeah, I definitely expected that most people I'm familiar with here would disagree with my reviewing philosophy, and of course flames like Dodens' are not that surprising. My aim is just to stimulate discussion among those (apparently very few) people who do think there are standards of 'greatness' in music, and to learn from people's responses along with hopefully bringing forth some unique observations myself.

I should also emphasise that my project is heavily inspired by this guy, who is an incredibly perceptive and knowledgeable critic that I feel I've gained a lot of insight from (although he's actually much harsher than I am in picking apart bands, and can be pretty off-putting sometimes). In a lot of ways, I'm just trying to pick up where he left off, even though I'll probably never write as well as he does.

Cool site.I like reading your reviews.:kickass:

Killing me with kindness, eh?

I actually noticed I've been getting a lot of visits from Leominster MA, so apparently you're one of my most avid readers. Glad you like the reviews. I don't know what the hell your deal is on the forums here, but since it would be extraordinarily dickish for me to continue ignoring you at this point, I guess I'll be giving you another chance.

Yea nice site. Good reviews. Keep it up.

Thanks man. Good to know there are a few people around who don't completely hate my music opinions. :lol:

Opinions are opinions. Even if I disagree, you still make some pretty thorough reviews. Thats what matters.

Yeah, that's pretty much the idea. I'm glad you see it that way. I try to explain my views as completely as I can so that someone who wants to voice disagreement will have something to work with other than 'lol this album sux'.

QFT

Since you are doing reviews for Metallica,try and do the Black Album to Reload era.That would be fun to read since lots of people hate it.Also try to do some Death Metal and Black Metal too.

I actually have three or four Darkthrone reviews uploaded to the site already, but I set them to invisible because I thought they were rather laughable in their present state. I need to spend more time listening to those albums before I turn the reviews loose, and unfortunately I just haven't been in the mood lately.

As far as death metal, I hardly ever listen to it but I'll probably post some Morbid Angel reviews eventually if nothing else.

Re: Metallica, I wouldn't mind reviewing their whole discog, but it would take a long fucking time because I'm not very familiar with anything beyond AJFA. We'll see how it goes.

me said:
I have some notes on the next two Metallica albums lying around, which I hope to clean up before long so I can have a full set of reviews for their 'classic' albums. Also planning to add another Coil review soon.
Use your eyeballs.

I like your Therion reviews man. Can't say I agree with everything, but the point of objective reviews is to provide technical criticism, which I think you provide well. Anyway, keep it up.