The Lizard List - Cower and Tremble, Mere Mortals!

hello all
well as threatened/promised/thought about yesterday, I went home last night, drank much beer, cranked the Bose and wrote out a list of the hard rock/metal albums I believe are the most influential/best-in-my-opinion of all time. The other list focused on the 100 top songs, but I went with albums, and I don't think I had 100, because I limited myself to only really one cd per band. Some people call this a "desert isle" list because it's like a list that if you were to be stranded on an island, and could only take a cd player and "xx" number of cds, which would they be.

Since it's my f*cking list it will be tilted toward what I tend to listen to so there will be only a couple of Norse Brutal Black Death type things there, because to be fair I had to recognize the genre even if I don't particularly like it.

I also included in a separate small list a few bands I consider to be, over the course of their entire career, or a large part of it, to be a total waste of time, and really irritating. Like Aerosmith.

so I was prepared to unveil my wonderful list and of course promptly forgot to bring it with me today. So tomorrow I will try to remember, ha ha!

awesome man.. I'm looking forward to it.

I've started a most influential album list for myself, but never got more than a few down.. maybe this will inspire me to finish mine and share it as well!

though when i started mine, I had the intentions of writing a bit about each album and why it was so influential, but I dont think i could do that for all if i had to come up with 100 :lol:

that's probably why I didn't get to 100! this is just something I did cause I was bored, I will include small comments next to some of them, some of them should be self explanatory, some will seem to make no sense...but that's half the fun of talking about music, being able to debate some of it without taking it personally and getting all bent out of shape.

Okay, don’t forget I limited myself to one cd per group.
And I was drinking.

These are not in order.

Accept – Restless and Wild. “Fast as a Shark” was one of the first speed metal songs, out in 83, the same year as metallica’s debut.
Thin Lizzy – Jailbreak. Hard to imagine Iron Maiden didn’t listen to this growing up – the twin lead guitar thing.
Deep Purple – In Rock, 1970.
Black Sabbath – Paranoid. So much of metal owes Tony Iommi lunch, it’s not funny.
Jimi Hendrix – Electric Ladyland. Hendrix had already blown minds, now he was taking the remains on a tour of the solar system.
Cream – Wheels of Fire. Before Clapton was neutered, this three piece of virtuosos, at least live, owned.
Kiss – Alive. Showed people you could be simple and still entertaining.
Dream Theater – Images and Words. Nowadays you can’t trip over a rock without finding a prog band.
Helloween – the seeds of Euro power metal.
Scorpions – Virgin Killer. The birth of European metal as a worldwide economic success.
Van Halen – Van Halen. Eddie, before he became a drunk and hired that moron Hagar.
Ozzy – Diary of a Madman. Randy Rhoads.
Nirvana - Nevermind. For better or worse, it started a revolution
Guns and Roses – Appetite for Destruction. Back when the guys were sleazy Hollywood junkies, before Axl became a complete asshole, they blew those synth and hair groups off the charts. Thank God.
Motorhead – Ace of Spades.
Beatles – Helter Skelter. (yes it’s just one song but it was a primitive racket and it inspired Charles Manson , of all things.)
ACDC – Let there Be Rock.
Alice in Chains – Dirt. Taking Seattle another step further.
Blue Oyster Cult – On your Feet or On Your Knees.
Iron Maiden – Killers. I actually listen to the debut more than this one but here is where they moved into the spotlight. NOTE: I was reading on the Maiden website the other day about how the band is doing charity gigs for their first drummer, Clive Burr, who has MS. Since I’m a Burr, this is interesting to me, and even though when he left the band there were some harsh things said, obviously they are cool now. More proof that Maiden, even though they’re well past their prime, are the class acts of metal.
Judas Priest – Sad Wings of Destiny.
King’s X – Gretchen Goes to Nebraska. These guys are way to talented to be so obscure, but their peers know.
Led Zeppelin – III
Living Color – Vivid. MTV didn’t know what to do with black Vernon Reid playing hard rock spiced with some jazz sensibility…but they couldn’t look away.
Yngwie Malmsteen – Marching Out. Sure, he’s an idiot, but how many lead players today haven’t stolen something from him?
Megadeth – Rust in Peace
Metallica – Kill em All. They may suck now to a degree, but another revolution back then.
Nevermore – Politics of Ecstasy (just in case I’m stranded on the desert island with CT…heh heh)
Pantera – Cowboys from Hell. Now it’s shuttle parts raining from the sky, but back then it was these guys.
Queen – Queen. Forget about Freddie in his tights, this cd has some quality rocking moments.
Rush – 2112.
Savatage – Ghost in the Ruins.
Iggy and the Stooges – Raw Power. Iggy rolling around on stage through broken glass, screaming “I wanna be your doggggggg!” makes me wish I could time travel to see it.
Suicidal Tendencies – Art of Rebellion
ZZ Top - Tres Hombres.
UFO – Strangers in the Night. One of the greatest old school live cds of all time.
Sepultura – Roots. Showed you didn’t need to be US or euro to make quality metal.
Everclear – Sparkle and Fade. Not much of an exaggeration to say this is a candidate for best cd of the 90s. Quality from start to finish.
Dearly Beheaded – just cause they have a cool name.
Slayer – South of Heaven.
Emperor – In the Nightside Eclipse.
Dinosaur Jr. – Punk meets neil young guitar solos on acid.
Burzum – Det Som Engang Var
Govt. Mule – The guitar hero is not dead; Warren Haynes rules.
Death – Human. Defined a genre
Neil Young – Ragged Glory. Turn the amps to 11 and play some messy solos that just have so much fucking character…
Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar Babies.
Black Crowes – Southern Harmony and Musical Companion.
Doors – Doors. While everyone else was picking flowers and fucking like the world was about to end, Morrison was singing, “Mother? I want to rape you….Father? I want to kill you!”
Anthrax - Spreading the Disease.
NIN – Downward Spiral. Industrial, blech, but you can’t deny its influence.
Tea Party – Tangents
Lynyrd Skynyrd – rowdy southern boys drankin’ whiskey and jamming, guitars, guitars and guitars.
Allman Brothers – Live at the Fillmore East. One of the greatest live cds of all time. Duane Allman ruled.
The Who – Live at Leeds.

And a few candidates for the biggest pack of meatheads of all time:
Nu- metal
Aerosmith without drugs
Foreigner
Sammy Hagar
Danzig. (I’m a punk! No wait a minute, I’m a satanic metalist! Er…no, I’m an operatic aria dude! Shit, my cds aren’t selling…I’m an industrial guy!)

Metal Church S/T? Anywhere in there?

Sepultura Chaos Sd started a whole shitload of things happening! Must point out the obvious connection: Tribal shit! Tattoo's especially. And I believe it to be one of the first nu-metal albums. Call them the grand daddies of nu-metal if you will.

hey rebirth one day my dad tried to teach me what would happen if I didn't get good grades in school. he drove me to a rich neighborhood and then drove me by a special ed school and we watched retards for a half hour.

guess what experience reminds me more of you.

while 'historically important' i wouldnt listen to about 90% of that fucking list haha. just human and poe pretty much. buy tony iommy lunch? ok, ill give him a nice knuckle sandwich. ill give one to ozzy too. and them ill tell them to fuck off and not to make any more shitty music that makes my fucking ears bleed.
-neal

Horrid Child! You dare care the Lord of Darkness MORTAL, and you allow such filth into the last 10 of the Top 100? Fool! I shall have a special place for you in my lake of fire, you disgusting human!