The LotFP: RPG design BLOG...

Jim LotFP

The Keeper of Metal
Jun 7, 2001
Helsinki, Finland
www.lotfp.com
As of this writig, the game has taken six months longer (and counting...) than I thought it would to write, playtest, and release. It'll be a couple months more at least before there's a Buy Now button underneath the Core Rules book on the site... I know only about two people care at this point, but I thought I needed something to put out there to let people know exactly where the game is and where it's going and what the thought processes are leading up to all of it. I feel so dirty for writing one of these. Next I'll get a cell phone or something. But this is all stream of consciousness stuff, not organized or designed to be a real series of essays or anything.

Anyway, the core system is done, but not completely typed. Notes are in notebooks (neat, isn't it?) all over my apartment. I've taken a week off of work and I'm going to get it all typed up, make copies, and send to the volunteer playtesting groups. I'm wanting to get 5-700 hours of playtesting total on this before deciding whether I'm good to go (fixing problems brought up in the playtest) or in need of a total rewrite (if the system collapses outside of me running the game). So if playtesters have a manuscript in their hand at the end of May, I'm hoping to go to print end of July.

Preliminary playtesting has already been happening, both in my own apartment where lego men with varying stats fight each other (the hours just fly by at my house, let me tell you), and some limited playing with a group. There, the rules are as I intended, more a rough guide to answer "what happens?" in contentious situations, but I've got no way to tell if the system is specifically serving my gaming style, or if my gaming style is just successful withing the system. Time will tell.

I'm also going to be taking a rather big step later in the year... relocating to Finland. For how long, I don't know, but the idea will be to just write write write for the game while the girlfriend is at class or working. No job. If things go well, I'll be marrying and I won't be coming back. What this is likely to do is raise the cost of the RPG by about fifty cents or so from the intended price (added mailing costs and all that), but I'm really trying to make sure each book is no more than $4.50 postage included to buy directly from me. Getting the opportunity to travel to a foreign country, obligation free, is something I wouldn't turn down anyway... but the quitting the job and leaving the apartment thing is a huge step. At the end of it, hopefully I'll have enough LotFP: RPG product written to where it has the foundation to grow into a worthwhile side-income... I'm under no illusions that I'll even be close to having to not need a day job. Hopeful, yes, but then I remember when I thought the LotFP music mag could break even someday. HAH. Speaking of which, the music mag is never going to die... Good metal still demands I tell everyone about it, and bad metal is still too much fun to publicly ridicule. Why would I give that up, ever? it's just coming out less often.

I often get ahead of myself, and work for LotFP: RPG is no different. The core rules aren't even out the door and I have a line of supplements planned:

First up after the core rules will be the creatures book, just because that's the easiest option for finishing out 30 pages plus covers. It won't be unique monsters I make up, but an illustration of how "real" mythological and legendary creatures (dragons, zombines, etc) can work within the LotFP system, complete with tons of options so even when players have that book and the GM says "zombie" they never know what to expect. For instance, rules will be given for zombies in both the Romero vein, the Return of the Living Dead vein, and a few other options, but I don't know if I'll go so far as to have Fulci's teleporting psychic zombies. It won't be a totally original supplement but a big GM aid in saving time within the LotFP: RPG system.

Next project is a setting. A continent full of nations and places and ready-made intrigue and all that. The setting's been in my folder since 1990 and it really is a neat thing, if I do say so myself. What's best about it is it does not assume any place for the game. You can do an 'old west' game by the frontierlands, a wargame in certain areas, 'standard' adventuring in ruins and non-human controlled areas, a mob game in the urban areas, politics, a more theology based game, vikings, celtic, it's all there in the setting, interrelationships between the various cultures explained, and none of it saying "this is where your game should fit in this world." A setting that enables gaming, not one that directs it.

... and then, the magic book. I've gone through several phases of thought on this. First was "this is essetial to a fantasy game, it must be out the same time as the main book!", then "Well, this other book can be finished quicker." Current thought? A magic system is in no way necessary, even to a fantasy role playing game. For certain styles of play, maybe it is. When the book is out, it'll be fantastic for that style. Promise. But the very existence of a magic book makes assumptions as to how things should be played. The entire idea of LotFP: RPG is to remove those assumptions. So by delaying the magic book and saying it's not necessary to play the game, it gives the entire project a whole new perspective, one that hopefully will be retained even after the magic system is released. "A fantasy RPG with no magic." Think about it.

The first adventure supplement has been planned, the Nightingale adaptation. It will come out after the setting for sure, and as written will take place within that setting, but the setting itself will not be crucial to the adventure.

Next two ideas fall under "write what you know." Sourcebooks for the setting which deal with subcultures that have nothing to do with mysticism or "special" people... just people, existing on the fringes of the society laid out. Advantage: This can give a focus to play. Advantage: This can flesh out facets of the setting in ways 'standard' supplements don't. Advantage: If people don't give a shit, it's not something they need to pay attention to, and it won't ruin the setting or the game for them. Disadvantage: It's not necessary so they might be bad economic decisions. Ah, who gives a flying fongoolie, this entire thing is an economic disaster waiting to happen... but it will be my disaster, damn it. The ideas... working title Goblinpunk, basically taking the heavy metal subculture and putting it in a fantasy medieval societal context. They are against the status quo, they are centered around "odd" music, and they base their appearance on the goblin tribes across the mountains. What this does is force definition of the society in the first place, and maybe I just haven't been looking, but how many people publish sourcebooks for games that are entire social in effect, without game mechanics being important at all? Maybe tons. Add one more. Similarly, the plans for Pro Gladiator... troupes of warriors who fight for profit in front of audiences... but is the combat real? Tons and tons and tons and tons and tons of potential here for all sorts of things, and I'm sure people will just have their minds boggled by rules for determining how many people show up to the arena to watch, and if it is all staged combat (which the GM will decide), how to determine if the crowd picks up on it or not. Anyway, two books that are a step up in creativity from "Dwarves of the Deep" or "Armies of the World"... Another advantage is there's a couple of audiences to aim at that aren't just RPG players.

... so, I've finally been looking around RPG sites. I'd stayed away from that because I didn't want to be influenced. Now that I'm looking around, I'm scared. It looks like a lot of players are into games where the setting is hardwired into the game itself, and the character's role is strictly defined... like people should know what they need to do just by reading the back of the book. Agh. This is going to be tough. Even old D&D made the assumption that killing monsters and collecting treasure was the goal of the game... that's how the character improvement system was designed. LotFP: RPG makes *no* such assumptions. Apparently that's seen in some quarters as a "design deficiency", leaving a character's purpose uncertain. Christ, who would ever touch a game where it all falls apart if you want to do something other than the hard-written character roles?

I've also got two distributors set up, albeit on a consignment basis. Can't hurt.

... I think I'll wrap this up now, look out for frequent postings, but certainly less lengthy postings as I sum up a couple days instead of a couple weeks...

... so I don't remember my dreams very often, but when I do, I've taken ideas for my dreams and turned them into games.

What use have recent dreams been?

A couple weeks ago, I had a dream where I was hunting down, get this, invisible attack gorillas in city parks. Whether I was "hunting" them or "observing" them is unknown, but having this dream reminded me a lot of watching old Wild Kingdom with Commander Adama. How I knew they were gorillas is unknown as well, but that was part of the assumed dream. Maybe it was repressed memories of seeing Hollowman returning. Damn you, Hollowman. I knew they were invisible and attack creatures for sure because of the awful CGI special effects my dream had... people minding their own business in the parks walking along then BAM they go flying like they'd been hit by a car. bah. However, I consider this idea more suitable to Bureau 13 or its rip-off, X-Files, than to a fantasy game... (although, I am toying with the idea of a Bureau 13 type agency for my fantasy world... let's face it, if magic is rare/not used, then anything "magical" would be of supreme importance to those in power and they'd need someone to investigate reports to differentiate the claims of ignorant peasants and real magical phenomena... hmmm) Invisible Attack Gorillas would get me laughed out of any gaming session on Earth though. Damn it.

The other dream was just last night. Scared the hell out of me, frankly, to the point that when it finally shocked me to wake up, I didn't want to stay face-up and didn't want to go to the bathroom for fear of looking in the mirror. I hate dreams like that. What sucked worse than that was the fact that the basis of the nightmare was... wait for it... I was seeing dead people. I mean, come on. how do dreams take the premise of movies you've seen a hundred times and still stick it to you like that? Why couldn't I have been indestructible or been in the middle of an alien invasion? Nooooooo, I had to see dead people, have my subconscious decide this was really scary stuff, and it's not even anything I can use in the game.

My unconscious mind is a shitty, shitty game designer.

Taking ideas from movies for game ideas isn't any good either, because the best movies aren't useful to gaming. I saw Rear Window again last night. The movie is absolutely brilliant and a hair under 40 years old. The camera is placed in one room for the entire movie, starts extremely slow, but is one of the most brilliant movies ever. EVER. I can imagine trying a scenario like that in a game and the success it would have. On the other hand, Jimmy Stewart ignoring Grace Kelly in order to look at Perry Mason a lot may be something nobody could understand...

On the plus side, my Campaign Cartographer order came in yesterday. I ordered the big package, so here's hoping the game books actually have professional looking maps in them and not Jim's Chicken Scratch Garbage Shit in print. www.profantasy.com, the products are very nice, actually...

... interesting developments in the game today. Luckily the players took their mission seriously (employed by a university to retrieve items of academic interest) and worked towards it.

Got some NPC characterization going hardcore, including:

... the weird cannibal that was a combination of the guy in the beginning of Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the real, 70s version) and Brad Pitt in 12 Monkeys (talk about fun flailing hands and acting like a real nutcase)...

... establishing dockside workers and dockside tavern help as MEAN people because all they deal with are drunk sailors... why would they be cooperative? Pale Yellow!!!!!!!!!!!11

...establishing most peasants out in the country as being suspicious, and usually stupid. There are exceptions but these people should not be bright and I like the idea of having different default personalities for city and rural folk...

... a rather unsuccessful attempt at putting Fawlty Towers in the middle of it all... the party didn't want to linger at the hotel so they just got to make funny faces as they were greeted at the inn later than usual for check-in...

... establishing a villain not as someone to specifically be slain to succeed in the scenario, but making the villain have mysterious motives and strategies that are at odds with the players.

Unfortunately there were some issues that came up during the game which were distressing...

One of the scheduled players didn't show, the guy I think may be the best tactitian of them all. In-game, he was just "taken ill" on their journey and left in the last city of note before heading off in the wilderness. Unfortunately, in the climax of this session, it was the two players, commanding ten men, basically assaulting a well-defended compound. The adventure had been role-playing and tension heavy, but action light, so I wouldn't have felt good eliminating the conditions at the location. I'm all for showing the characters a situation where they are severly at a disadvantage and letting them plan from there... but the plans they chose left no choice but to nearly get everyone killed. In interest of not having a wholesale slaughter, I used the villain's escape method as a tactical point early in the conflict, to where the players knew they were in trouble, and know the enemy still has them completely trapped when they decide to leave the current area...

Hoping to get the other player in a one-on-one session where he can come in after the fact with some brilliant plan. Not as a deus ex machina, but as someone who can get a couple of missed clues and make the upcoming conflicts more even.

Also, the ranged combat system is written like absolute shit. Once the arrows started flying, I saw what I was trying to achieve, but the results were a bit different. The main problem isn't the fact that it's pretty deadly, as arrows should be, but that it's a tad too easy for archers to be hitting combat targets in the first place. I'll take a good look at that and get that working.

Otherwise, the test system the game is built on seems to be working wonderfully.A double random comparison that rewards higher skill levels... w00t!

It's maddening.

Putting the natural laws of a world into game terms, with a special emphasis on things that adventurous people do and the situations they get themselves in, in 32 pages, is nuts.

Yet I soldier on.

The latest snag, what I thought I could finish up in an afternoon, has turned into a fiasco.

Vehicle rules. Answering the questions "How long does it take a giant squid to squeeze a ship til it's no longer seaworthy? What condition is the ship in if the squid is driven off before then?" "What happens when I fire this catapult at that castle? Or at those horsemen charging this way?" and "The two wagons collide. What happens to the people inside the wagons?" is something that a game needs to be able to do.

Dealing with vehicle movement ended up with a system that was superior to but inconsistent with mounted and foot movement. The answer to that is of course change everything to the superior system, but then that changes things in all sorts of places. Combat rules have to be readjusted and retested to make sure they're still working as intended. Certain skills have to be tweaked.

I'm happy how vehicle firepower was handled, even if structural integrity and damage nearly made me pull my hair out to make sure it worked flawlessly with how individuals deal out damage to miscellaneous items.

Everything is related. A pain in the ass that may be, but the fact that changing one thing sets off a chain reaction through the entire rules means I am indeed coming up with a unified system. Holes are being plugged. This will be good.

God would I have had such egg on my face if I'd sent out a couple dozen playtest copies of what was done in May/June instead of the couple I gave to friends.