The Maidens- Still Crazy After All These Years

Acujer

Apr 14, 2008
Not only besides not seeing The Girls for a year, I also haven’t seen a rock band in a year, besides random little bands in China. For someone who sees a lot of concerts regularly, this was a very big deal for me. Paladino’s Friday night!

They open with The Trooper. Now I don’t know if this is synchronicity, or perhaps, even serendipity, but since this is my least favorite Iron Maiden song, I mean it’s not as horrendous as Hotel California or any Bon Jovi song, but it’s pretty low down on the scale, but I took it as a nice sign, or more of a “jokes on you Jack” kind of prank. Either way, it was cosmic to be welcomed back in that way.

The first couple songs got me wondering if there as something wrong with the mic, or the PA. I was looking around for a sound guy to beat with a beer bottle, but then it didn’t take long for when Kirsten started speaking that it became obvious she was hoarse. But, being the extremely talented and powerful vocalist she is, she was able to rise above and sound great the rest of the show. Actually, even in the first couple songs when she was somewhat hoarse, it had a No Prayer for the Dying/Fear of the Dark era kind of take on it. I just thought maybe she was like method acting.

The woman taking the Murray spot, Elizabeth, had an incredible stage presence and a fantastic tone on the guitar. I hope she is a keeper because she was GRADE AAA all the way! The best part was when the fog came out and she jumped away from it like it was going to hit her. She told me later that she was worried about it ruining her hair. Haha

If you thought Heather looked serious up there, she made Heather look like a court jester. She looked really familiar to me.

I found out later she used to be in the band. She was with Sara before Heather, but then Heather came in and replaced Elizabeth, then Courtney replaced her, but then after Sara left, Heather replaced Sara but now Elizabeth is replacing Heather and this is really making my head spin because this is way too bonkers!!!

This was an interesting setlist. One of the most interesting Iron Maidens show I’ve seen, and I’ve seen a bunch! I liked how they don’t keep doing the same schtick, and they keep mixing up the setlist. You never know what a show is going to be like. Something the real Iron Maidens could learn from.

Remember Tomorrow was the highlight for me. I have never heard any live version of this song before, and I was blown away with what they did with it. Definitely better than the Metallica version, and I may say, that this song doesn’t jump out of the album, but it really stood out on Friday night as a masterpiece. This is a way upgraded version than the studio one that appears on Iron Maiden. You got Wanda in the middle stage doing those low bass drones, then you got Elizabeth on the side doing those harmonics and sweet bluesy bends, and Courtney on the other side doing melodic solos, then both of them getting the dual guitar action going simultaneously, Linda in the back, wailing away Animal style, and Kirsten passionately sings “The all seeing eye flickers above us…” Then arm in the air screams, “To light up the SKY!!” If you haven’t seen them play this, look out for it next time you’re there. You’ll be blown away!

Actually lots, and I mean LOTS of Paul Di’Anno songs that night. Those songs are great, but since I have accepted Bruce Dickinson as my personal lord and savior, it’s the Dickinson songs that will always speak to my soul more.

Speaking of the soul: the meaning behind revelations became ABSOLUTELY clear to me Friday night while Kirsten was singing it. I don’t know why I never saw it so clearly before. This song is about Bruce Dickinson doing some type of esoteric magic, or meditation, which causes his Kundalini “serpent energy” to rise up his spine bringing him to enlightenment. Where he transcends not only the cycles of Earth, but the cycle of birth, death and rebirth, and becomes the hub of the wheel, or simply put, “The watcher in the ring.” This is the “light of the blind” since it’s from the third eye, and is seen through your internal sight, not the sight of the eyes. This Earthly plain is a “black abyss” where we are all just “babes”, and there is “no reason for a place like this”, since we are all “souls crying out in pain”. The venom tears his spine, is the Serpent Kundalini that rests in everyone's lower spine, and rises via the spine to the head upon complete spiritual awakening. “A clever path for the fools who know.” Fool has a different meaning here then you would think. The Fool Card in the Tarot deck is #1 or sometimes referred to as #0. It is the foundation of all the cards. The tarot cards are the Fool’s quest to spiritual enlightenment. The Fool, being the beginning, that naïve, innocent state, such as a child. It is also the end, as we return to that innocent pure state, such as, “Unless ye become like little children ye shall not enter the Kingdom of Heaven.”

“The Secret of The Hanged Man,” well, here's the secret: Being the 12th card in the Major Arcana of the deck, The Hanged Man is upside down, representing reverse meaning. 12 also represents the 12 zodiac signs. The mind, being suspended and then we can reverse the way we think about ourselves. Suspending one’s life routine to see through bad habits and patterns, that were hindering spiritual growth. If you turn the card over, the man makes a cross. The cross represents the number 4 and the elbows and head represent the number 3 as in a triangle. 3X4= 12, the number of the card, the number in Western and Eastern astrology, as well as creative expression in numerology.

The Tarot Cards are simply, The Qaballah told in card forms. One can use these, instead of fortune telling devices, but as tools to guide one to “still the wind and rain” of their mind, becoming the observer, “The watcher in the ring.”

AWESOME!!!!

That was classic watching Linda and Courtney drink red wine out of a wine glass on stage. None of the typical plastic cup for them. I expect them passing around a bottle of Cristal next time.

It’s great when you been gone for a while, and you come back home and some things never change. As for The Iron Maidens, the only thing that changes is that they keep getting better. But still crazy after all these years. It may be the most packed I’ve seen Paladino’s ever! Keep it up Ladies!

UP THE IRONS!!!

Hey Jeremy,

It was good to see you at the show. Thanks for coming. And thanks, too, for your thoughtful, entertaining, and enthusiastic review. The feedback is appreciated. Yeah, we all came back from Venezuela with colds/sinus infections and/or stomach problems. Sorry for my phlegmy beginning.:yuk:

And, dude, whatever you were tripping on during Revelations, I want some! :Smokin: :lol:

for years and heard and seen the iron maidens playing with great feeling and great skill not because she is very pretty but you know what it means to play. to me she is very special as it can play iron maiden. it alone has the magic touch so

I would I have great respect for them because it gives 100% when he plays

sincerely to continue playing forever

for me it is something hard to write in English but I try I hope I understand and I hope to play again in Puerto Rico

God Bless The Iron Maiden