The Making Of The Number of the Beast on DVD

Spruce Goose

Then Goose me up woman!
Apr 17, 2001
Sydney
scholar.uws.edu.au~13326874
How freakin awesome does this sound!!!
I got this from www.electricbasement.com

IRON MAIDEN "BEAST" DVD!: (Press Release) Not all rock bands in England in the late 1970s were enamored with punk rock. Some of them were still proudly influenced by heavy metal bands like Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple, which punks derisively dismissed as dinosaurs. One of these new bands was IRON MAIDEN

There was such a large underground heavy metal movement bubbling up in the U.K. that the British rock press coined an all-encompassing phrase to describe it -- New Wave of British Heavy Metal. The name stuck, and so did its NWOBHM acronym. Within a short time, Iron Maiden had established itself as NWOBHM's dominant band.

Iron Maiden's complex, literate style of heavy metal was bound to yield a masterpiece, and the band made one with 1982's 'The Number of the Beast'. The making of 'The Number of the Beast' is traced in Eagle Eye Media and Pioneer Entertainment's 'Classic Albums' documentary, and it will be released on DVD and VHS home video on December 4, 2001. The DVD includes bonus materials not found on VHS.

Those discussing 'The Number of the Beast' and its enduring power are Iron Maiden leader, bass guitarist and principal songwriter Steve Harris, vocalist Bruce Dickinson, guitarist Adrian Smith, guitarist Dave Murray, drummer Clive Burr (who left the band after the tour for the album), manager Rod Smallwood, producer Martin Birch, Megadeth vocalist/guitarist Dave Mustaine and journalist/official Iron Maiden biographer Mick Wall, among others.

'The Number of the Beast' was Iron Maiden's third album, but its first with Dickinson. His powerful voice and its broad range were perfect for the incredible songs that had been written. Lyrically speaking, the basic
inspiration for Iron Maiden's songs often came from sources like history, literature, films and television, and 'The Number of the Beast' was no exception.

"Run to the Hills" was a landmark heavy metal song in every respect, from its lyrics about the plight of the American Indians to its soaring, utterly brilliant marriage of melody and heavy metal energy. "The Prisoner" was based on the 1960s cult television series of the same name; in 'Classic Albums', Dickinson visits the show's outdoor set, and the band recalls a funny story about how they witnessed a very nervous Smallwood call "The Prisoner" creator and star Patrick McGoohan and ask for permission to use a soundbite from the
show on the album. McGoohan consented with a gruff, two-word response: "Do it!" Smith, who demonstrates guitar parts from several songs during his interview sequences, discusses "22 Acacia Avenue," which he co-wrote with Harris as a sequel to early Iron Maiden favorite "Charlotte the Harlot." Harris talks about the epic "Hallowed Be Thy Name," a song written about the last hours of a condemned man prior to his execution.

The controversy about the album's title track is addressed in detail. The spooky song "The Number of the Beast" is a widely misinterpreted, Edgar Allan Poe-like story rooted in the Bible's New Testament description of the Antichrist, and it's also loosely based on 'The Omen' horror films, which also use this same biblical imagery. However, in the early 1980s, ultraconservative Christian fundamentalists fueled heavy-metal-is-satanic and anti-rock 'n' roll hysteria in America that hadn't gripped the country since rock 'n' roll emerged in the 1950s. Iron Maiden denied accusations that they were devil worshipers; nonetheless, in the face of these ludicrous charges, their concerts were widely picketed and protested.

That sounds awesome! Ive got the Bat out of hell and the black album ones and they are both good, so im looking forward to this one :D

Originally posted by Spruce Goose

Those discussing 'The Number of the Beast' and its enduring power are ... Megadeth vocalist/guitarist Dave Mustaine

'eh? :confused:

But I quite like the album too, and you don't see my name in the credits. :cry:

Originally posted by Sydo
But I quite like the album too, and you don't see my name in the credits. :cry:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I LOVE the album, but I missed out as well. Probably because she caught me seeing other albums.