The more I hear Dio's "Master", the more it kicks my ass!

SoundMaster

Jan 20, 2002
"the flower & willow world"
Visit site
Great record. Hooks, melody, power and....of course, the voice.

I know many have expressed dissatisfaction with the general "mid tempo" feel of most of the record, but damn, these are great songs. This may be his best overall effort since the godly "Holy Diver". I really think it's THAT good.

And this is on the heels of another awesome record, "Killing the Dragon". Nice work for a man who may be past 60 years of age.

Dio kicks my ass. I'd still like to bang Christina from Lacuna Coil. :hotjump:

I was extremely disappointed with his last two releases before this one, so I didn't buy this release. The "mid-tempo" review bothers me. The guy can still sing and he will always be one of my favorite artists, but the creative well (songwriting/intensity) hasn't really impressed me since "The Last in Line."

Bryant

I've listened to it several times & it has yet to kick my ass.

zeppelin said:
Too slow.
Slow is good. Sometimes speed just doesn't go over as well.
I like to think of it as like a rock band that is always plugged in.
Can they do it on acoustic guitars?! Some can & some can't.
Dio can slow things down & do it well, however, it seems like that's too far out of left field for the fan base...
Master of the Moon is a fantastic record. Give it a few more listens if you have it.

sixxswine said:
Slow is good. Sometimes speed just doesn't go over as well.
I like to think of it as like a rock band that is always plugged in.
Can they do it on acoustic guitars?! Some can & some can't.
Dio can slow things down & do it well, however, it seems like that's too far out of left field for the fan base...
Master of the Moon is a fantastic record. Give it a few more listens if you have it.

Got it, I left it in the car for two weeks or so and though it became easy listening after a while, it still isn't something I'll put back in, like his older stuff. Guess I sort of fall into the normal fan base here but sometimes the road less traveled is done so for a reason.

zeppelin said:
Got it, I left it in the car for two weeks or so and though it became easy listening after a while, it still isn't something I'll put back in, like his older stuff. Guess I sort of fall into the normal fan base here but sometimes the road less traveled is done so for a reason.

I was just busting your balls. It's cool if you don't like it. I for one like it.
SIXXSWINE-\m/

I pretty much lost interest in Dio after Last in Line. His later albums just didn't do it for me and I quit buying his work. Then I found Killing the Dragon a couple years ago in a pawn shop and listened to is fairly regularly for a couple of weeks. I haven't listened to it since. That tells me that, while good, it just doesn't have any "stickiness". There's nothing about it that would cause me to pick it out of the stack.

I haven't heard Master of the Moon yet, and despite many attempts to find some songs on my P2P program, I have come up empty (bad sign when no one even bothers to share it).

The above is my long-winded way of saying that I'm not qualified to comment on Master, because I've yet to hear it. I'd be willing to give it a chance, but I'm not willing to pay for that chance.

SoundMaster said:
Be thankful for that.
"Magica", along with "Wolves", are his only poor works. Even the Tracy G records piss all over "Magica".

Ha! No F'n Way! Magica is one of his absolute best works... it's a freakin' masterpiece.

I bought killing the dragon afterseeing DIO with Maiden and liking the title cut. It was my first DIO studio purchase since the release of Dream Evil which Ii thought was just horrible . I have only owned the CD for a few weeks now but i find myself still listiening to Killing the Dragon more than trying to listien to Master of The Moon. KTD got me from the start with some good catchy tunes but so far nothing on MOTM has hit me. If im in the mood for DIO i will listien to Holy Diver, Last in line, KTD or some Rainbow before MOTM so sadly i would say IMO its a disappointing release. Ive heard allot of positive words on IMAGICA but the disapointment in Master may keep me away for a while