The more I mix, the worse I get at mixing - Katatonia 'Brave' Cover

Terminus

Apr 19, 2009
Pretty much. I am getting to the point where I don't even like to do it anymore, which is depressing because I used to like it very much (as in, a month or so ago). I think that in general it's my ears/brain that I am unsatisfied with. I guess just wanting to be a better musician is getting to be more of a pull than trying to AE my own songs, and that is becoming fuckin frustrating as hell to me. Anyway here's the song, a cover of Katatonia 'Brave' which is long so feel free to cut that shit off quickly should it displease you. :lol:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/994726/MikeW_Katatonia_Brave_Cover.mp3
MIX#2: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/994726/Katatonia Brave Cover mix2.mp3

Indeed, FAR from perfect I agree...one thing you'll notice is Addictive Drums, not quite so addictive here lol. I'm one of those dipshits who doesnt use the 16-out function and chooses to just go with the ITB AD compression/verb/etc. which so many people have told me not to do, so that's probably a big chunk of the problem there. Anyway, I would really like some advice from you guys on this if you can muster it, otherwise I just may eventually give up on the mixing thing and get a pro to do it, and just concentrate on making good songs. Let the frustration continue!!! Cheers!

I'm listening in iPhone headphones so I'm not in a great listening environment but it sounds like your bass is pumping which was really distracting and I had to stop listening. Your Gtr and bass interaction otherwise didn't sound too bad, but multi out your drums and you'll be rewarded work on getting the drums sounding better and locking the bass in with it, then reintroduce your gtrs. Don't be so down on yourself, we all sometimes take a step or two backwards in order to go forward.

Thanks man, I appreciate your comments a shitload. It seems like only lately I'm veering off into the overly bassy territory. Too much/too wide 200hz boost in the bass and guits. Every once in a while you need that splash of cold water on your brain to figure shit out. Thanks again man!

dude not that bad, and as much as I dislike the AD kick, it seems to actually work well for this song. I also use AD without the 16 out function, simply cause my computer would blow up if I mixed separate drums hahaha

I really don't find many complaints, the bass doesn't sound that heavy in my AKG K77s although I admit I always find my mixes bass heavy on other systems when done on these cans, so don't trust me on that. The guitar really emulates the original sound pretty well, would you care to share your chain for guitar and bass

Another thing, dude I love this song (and this band), would you mind if I recorded vocals over it? I would have a blast doing it

dude not that bad, and as much as I dislike the AD kick, it seems to actually work well for this song. I also use AD without the 16 out function, simply cause my computer would blow up if I mixed separate drums hahaha

I really don't find many complaints, the bass doesn't sound that heavy in my AKG K77s although I admit I always find my mixes bass heavy on other systems when done on these cans, so don't trust me on that. The guitar really emulates the original sound pretty well, would you care to share your chain for guitar and bass

Another thing, dude I love this song (and this band), would you mind if I recorded vocals over it? I would have a blast doing it

Yeah same here. I dont know that using 16-out is possible on my computer as well, maybe I'll give it a shot on a new song. Here's the guitar and chain:
DSC00123.jpg

passive stock pups in that thing but seems to really shine on standard or near standard tunings for some reason.

sorry for the size
guitarchainkatatoniacover.jpg

nothing too special, the eq'ing overload is my personal attack on the fizz. still there lol.

hell yes, PLEASE do some vocals on it, I know i can't pull of Mike's deep rasp worht a shit anyway. I'm remixing this right now and starting from scratch on the drums, I'll try my damndest to get you a better sounding file if you want to wait on it a bit. Cheers, thanks for the comments man!:worship:

Man that Eq looks really harsh hahaha but it seems to do the job, guitars are pretty good IMO.

Sure thing I'll record something on it maybe on tuesday if I have some time

Yeah, it's a bitch fucking with these amp sims and trying to eq the transistor out of the sound, eventually that will be no more when my new amp day rolls around.:Smokin:

Here's a remix with hopefully better drum sound. maybe the snare is too loud at times, I listened in my car and it seemed ok most of the time lol. When there's less going on it seems too loud, may need to bring it down on the quieter sections. The kick is the tama starclassic tuned up a little and with 'single sample' on. Still not quite there but better.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/994726/Katatonia Brave Cover mix2.mp3

Sorry the file is 20+ megs guys, it is truly a long f-ing song. Even as an mp3 lol

Thanks for the heads up pm man...yeah I'll do a new mix of this for you because this royally sucked, I havent even looked at this file in months...working on an EP right now so it may be a week or so. :)