[Mixing Practice] Amorphis - Into Hiding cover

Terminus

Apr 19, 2009
Hey guys. I recorded this last summer but never did any of the vocals for it. Everything else is here including the synths, here's a list of the files:

Drum MIDI (mapped for Addictive Drums, sorry SD or other drum synth users, you might be able to move some hits around and make it work though)
Rhythm Guitar Left (DI)
Rhythm Guitar Right (DI)
Lead Guitar Center (DI)
Bass (DI)
Synth 1
Synth 2

The synths are in a bounced WAV file format, though if requested I can provide the MIDI tracks for those, if you want to try and use your own synth sounds instead of mine.

The drum midi has the tempo map in it as well, since there are some changes in the song.

Also, if any fans of the band want to try and do the vocals, please feel free and send them my way if you do try doing them. :) Enjoy!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/994726/Amorphis_Into_Hiding_Mixing_Practice.zip

my own quick mix for reference:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/994726/Into Hiding Cover.mp3

Oh yes, very cool, thanks! Will work on this, one of my favourite songs of theirs.

You have a mix of your own of this as well? ;)

Have you programmed the drums on your own or is it from a guitar pro tab file? Searching the gp file would be easier than rearranging the midimapping.

Great cover :)

Nice mix. I like the kick sound, is that AD? The fills sound kind of like they are all at 127 velocity though, which I'm certain I adjusted the velocities on unless somehow Reaper didn't export them.

Nice mixes from both of you, I wish there was vocals too, but I can't do them. :)

Here's my attempt:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19759737/Into_Hiding_RaNk_V1.mp3

I tried to do the vox but I can't get that low convincingly, and the clean section is beyond my operatic abilities lol. Good mix, did you use an HM-2? That is kick ass.

Holy smokes! I forgot about this album! This was my favorite album growing up.

I was 16 when this came out, and about a year later we tried to (I repeat, tried to) cover it in my band at the time, hence why I revisited it now, love this band and album to death. :)

Did a complete rework of the mix, making it less boxy. It's fun to work on.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19759737/Into_Hiding_RaNk_V2.mp3

*edit*

Btw, could you share what synth you used on the last part of the song? It sounds really cool.

It's just the free Kore Player, some organ sound called "Real Book" iirc. Your mix sounds more powerful, more punch to the snare in this one.

Have you programmed the drums on your own or is it from a guitar pro tab file? Searching the gp file would be easier than rearranging the midimapping.

Great cover :)

Thanks. :) I programmed them myself but it should be fairly easy to transfer it to SD or SSD since there are less cymbals than those programs have in AD, and all the other drums can just be moved in one shot, at least in Reaper.

Bring me more mixes!!!!:D

Quick mix in my Sunlight Studio :hotjump:
Mokafix Noamp! for bass & guitars + Kalthallen Nebula IR's.
NI Abbey Road 80's + samples on drums.
No Animals Harmed in this mix.

Last edited by a moderator:
Terminus, what did you use for capturing the DI's? DI box? Directly into the interface? :)

Stagg LP copy with stock pups (not very good but I didn't want to intonate my main guitar for standard D from drop Bb), 3 ft. Monster cable into Profire 610. Are they bad? I ask because I am looking at finally getting a countryman 85 for reamping my recently acquired 3120 head.

Quick mix in my Sunlight Studio :hotjump:
Mokafix Noamp! for bass & guitars + Kalthallen Nebula IR's.
NI Abbey Road 80's + samples on drums.
No Animals Harmed in this mix.

Fantastic one. You completely nailed the signature sound of the album.

Last edited by a moderator:
The DI's are not bad, a bitweak but still sounds better than many DI tracks I've heard in this forum. The countryman 85 will improve the quality a lot but I think that the 'weak' sound I'm saying comes mainly from the guitars.