The ''Morning Rise'' Covert Art

jaykeegan

Jan 27, 2004
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
I have started this thread to inquire about the photograph on the front cover of Opeth's album ''Morningrise''. I was browsing through the ''News'' section on www.opeth.darkwood.com, And I came across the following photograph:

realmorningrise.jpg

It also explains that the photograph is of one of the only four Palladian bridges in the world.

Can someone please explain to me what a Palladian bridge exactly is?

Yea, where is this place? It looks great. Always thought it was a nice cover... plus there's always the face you see when you turn it sideways.

This is my favorite albums cover ever. of any band, it shows just how multi demensional opeth is, specializing in to only music, but art and other dimensions of their band also.

The so-called Palladian was an extremely popular style of architecture in 17th- and 18th-century England (as well as thereafter); indeed, for many years it was the ever-dignified gold standard.

Palladian is, properly, an English style, but in its name and inspiration it pays tribute to Palladio, the 16th-century Italian architect and writer on architecture. For years, even as more outrageously Baroque and more severely Neoclassical architecture enjoyed popularity, many architects continued to hark back to the work of Inigo Jones, who in the early 17th-century had first brought Palladio's influences coherently to England.

Chiswick House in London is one of the most famous surviving examples of Palladian architecture.
right

The term Palladian window refers to a type of window popularly used in many sorts and styles of architecture. It consists of three lights set side-by-side, the outer two of which are simple rectangles while the middle one sports a semicircular top which springs from the level of the other two lights' upper limit.

Palladian Bridge, Stowe, Buckinghamshire, England
Palladian Bridge, Prior Park, Bath, England
Palladian Bridge, Wilton Park, Wiltshire, England
+1

www.google.com

Thanks for all the pics, OpethPainter. :Smokin:

I agree that it's an awesome cover... something about it is bleak, but it also seems refreshing... maybe like a bright morning after a hard night (hence the title Morningrise).

i went to prior park recently, and i was gonna visit the bridge, but they were charging £4 a time to get in so we couldnt be bothered. Its in an area of bath called 'Fox Hill' which i found quite amusing, given the Opeth / Camel connections.