THE MOST POWERFUL voice in Metal

SR wrote
geez that was fast tali you must be hot on my trail

My father was half bloodhound so its natural i should be on the trail of a fox like yourself ;)

and whoever mentioned Dio vs Allen.....i think the range is pretty similar.....the amazing thing about RJD is that he is almost 65 and the guy still belts it out.

Mantraschism said:
Hansi Kürsch (Blind Guardian) - I shouldn't need to give any reasons. He's just a billy bad-ass. He's got a completely unique 'metal' voice (how the hell does he get that rasp??), and a beautiful clean voice. Then, when you add forty other Hansi's to the mix, well...
Maybe it´s his naturally ample corpus? :D

And to see the words "Hansi Kürsch" and "bad-ass" in the same paragraph is kinda weird... the guy probably is one of the most harmless, cuddliest chaps in Metal. :D

Ah Yes...Well Of Course Russel Allen...

And Reading All Of these Posts Help Remind Me of Some!

Geoff Tate - Queensryche
Eric Adams - Manowar
Rob Halford - Priest
Ray Alder - Fates Warning
Steve Grimmet - Grim Reaper
Dio
Jeff Scott Soto

Lots of good names on here. I would have to say early Geoff Tate is the most impressive voice I have heard. "Take Hold Of The Flame" is still tops on my list for vocal performance.

I was in a hotel room in Walnut Creek, CA, looking for a good radio station to wake up to. I dialed into one playing "Cemetery Gates", great old Pantera stuff. I had forgotten Phil Anselmo could actually sing. It sounded great. Too bad he moved away from "singing".

Going back to the early '80's, Randy Jackson from Zebra had a great voice, though it didn't make me think of the word "powerful".

In today's post-grunge world, though, I don't know of anybody who beats Russell Allen, and I'm not just throwing that out because it's the SymX board.

Chuck Billy of Testament
Steve Grimmett of Grim Reaper
Roy Kahn of Kamelot and Conception
Warrel Dane of Nevermore
Dave Mustaine of Megadeth
The dude from Brainstorm (Andy something)
Tom Englund of Evergrey
Nathan Gearhart of Vehemence
Shagrath of Dimmu Borgir

Why is everyone forgetting about extreme metal? Their vocals are just as powerful, if not more, than power metal. Other than Mikael, i don't think anyone has mentioned extreme metal. Oh well. What do you expect from prog nerds?

Yeah, 'cause God knows no one has mentioned Vintersorg, or early Jonas Renkse. =\ Oh wait, someone did... *indicates self*

Given more thought, I would include Lars Nedland in my list (Borknagar, Asmegin, other that I don't know about) and Vortex (ex. Borknagar, Dimmu Borgir), from what I've heard. Also, Ihsahn, towards the end of Emperor.

Mantraschism said:
Yeah, 'cause God knows no one has mentioned Vintersorg, or early Jonas Renkse. =\ Oh wait, someone did... *indicates self*

Given more thought, I would include Lars Nedland in my list (Borknagar, Asmegin, other that I don't know about) and Vortex (ex. Borknagar, Dimmu Borgir), from what I've heard. Also, Ihsahn, towards the end of Emperor.
Point taken. My apologies.

hi all, havn't posted here in a while. I'm a firm believer in Russell being the BEST OVERALL voice in metal history. That being said, I agree with those who mentioned Mikael Akerfeldt's name as the term "powerful" can describe his growl vocals very well. In addition to the growl, he has a hauntingly beautiful singing voice. But the vocalist who I wanted to be the first to mention as far as sheer POWER goes is Jens Kidman of Meshuggah. I have not heard anyone with the ability to convey hatred and beastial anger as well as he can (listen to his work on Nothing and :OMG: :headbang: the new EP:headbang: :OMG: ). Amazing stuff.

Russel Allen
Russel Allen
Russel Allen
( did I allready mention Russel Allen ? )
ZP theart ( dragonforce !!!!!! )
Jorn Lande
Timo Kotipelto
King Diamond
Jeff scott Soto
Bruce Dickinson
James Labrie
the dude from Orphaned Land ( don't know his name , but he certainly rocks.)
Eduardo Falaschi ( angra.)

I had the privilage to hear both Tate and Allen back to back and just want to say that Russell Allen has a more powerful voice. Not to put Tate down or anything cause he also a great singer. But Allen I think is the most powerful voice today, and I'm not saying that just cause its the symphony x forum.

With that being said other powerhouses

Bruce Dickinson
Tim Owens
Halford
Dave Mustaine
That dude from Kamelot, dont know his name but he has a great voice

karelrulez said:
Magnus Ekwall is awesome too, I don't know his band The Quill but he smokes on The Human Equation.
Definately. Magnus is really awesome on The Human Equation, although i've never heard The Quill.

Wicked Inferno:
Dave Mustaine? im not saying i disagree, but ... what made u think of him in this category of singers?

Maybe it was because of the beef you guys had with him on the tour, but how

HOW

HOW

can you have this thread without one mention of

DEVIN TOWNSEND

I have heard 99% of the guys in this thread, and NONE of them have the power and conviction of him. Just listen to the guy. Absolutely unreal.