The musical opportunity of a lifetime. Advice? [Very serious thread]

Nagle

poser, not guitarist
Aug 19, 2002
Philadelphia, PA
bathotaxe.com
Earlier tonight, I was given Milton Babbitt's phone number by a colleague of his. He's my favorite composer of all time - living or dead - and more than just about anything, I'd like to understand his compositional technique and use that as a foundation for inventing something new altogether. How this came about would be too long of a story to tell over a messageboard.

Anyway, that colleague, Matthew Greenbaum - an excellent composer himself - said that I should give Babbitt a call. Apparently Babbitt, though retired, loves it when people take a positive interest in his music (it's been the object of much derision from certain musical camps) and loves teaching students. Also, although he's a monilith of creative intellection in my eyes, he's genuinely approachable, warm, and charming by all accounts of people who know him. From what I hear (and have read), he's basically a jolly and witty old man by day and composer of INTENSE twelve tone music by night.

I would just up and call Babbitt at Dr. Greenbaum's suggestion but for the fact that his wife is apparently quite sick right now and I'm really afraid of calling him at a bad time. He's 87, I think, and I would guess his wife is about the same age so I'm thinking it's pretty serious. I've never met the man before and I feel like it would be incredibly bad if I called him at a sensitive time. I don't want to do anything potentially taxing to him or his wife. Greenbaum and everyone else in that company encouraged me to call but I'm still not sure what to do.

What do you people think?

so tough dude.

i really can't say, because there are 2 equally probably scenarios.

You call, and he is happy to be aleviated from the thought of his wife's sickness for a few moments.

Or he finds your call completely inappropriate at a time like this.

if you knew more about the kind of person he was, it would help, in this circumstance, I myself would not risk calling him for the life of me.

You gotta take this opportunity, Nagle. Not everyone gets to meet their Number One. Be very polite, ask him if it's a good time in your introduction, and try to pick a time when old ladies are least likely to be freshly dead.

call.

my grandfather is an 80 something blues/jazz musician and often times kids from local colleges will realize, 'wow! this dude lives right down the street!' and call him and want to come over and talk about guitars and ask him questions. he really likes it. my grandmother is most decidedly not well, and i think he finds these calls etc a good distraction. otherwise, he says he feels stuck in the house with himself and his music and nothing to do with it anymore.

i would say call, because it would most likely cheer him up, like preppy said. but if you are unsure, tell his colleague your dilemma and ask his opinion.

dialing.jpg

Definitely dial away. and do all the other things these people mentioned- like mention Greenbaum's name, ask if it's a good time (or what'd be a better time), etc. Good luck!

I wonder if writing him an email or letter would be better/more polite? I may be able to get Babbitt's address from someone - perhaps M. Greenbaum. If I have no luck with that, I'll give him a call.

a letter would be okay too, but if someone who knows him fairly well said you should call him up, i'm sure it's okay. i mean, just the fact that you're asking us what to do is a sign that you're not obnoxious and imposing. so i am sure he'll be happy you called.

I just got his mailing address (apparently he doesn't have a computer) so I'll write him a letter. I know he and Greenbaum know each other but I don't know if they're best budz or anything like that so I think this may be the best way to go. Thanks for the opinions though.

COOL. At least you are going to contact him. That's the main point. If he writes or calls back, hopefully the lines of communication will be FLOWING. Good luck, dood!
(and let us know what transpires and stuff plzthx)

the letter is exactly what I would do, and it's usually my way of doing everything.

Every time I have an important or high-stress conversation, I stutter like an idiot.