The mystery of Gene Simmons

TRrEiTxIxRiE DTrash

New Metal Member
Apr 14, 2001
How was he able to look after Kiss' business affairs so well that they got that big and he got that rich.... yet every band he managed or signed in the '80s got nowhere?

First reason you might think would be that they sucked. But Gene seriously had a great eye for talent and every band he signed or managed in the '80s was AWESOME and definitely had the talent to make it big! Bands like EZO, Keel and Black 'N Blue released some of the best albums in the '80s and were way more talented (and marketable, had the look etc) than ALOT of the bands that did make it. Yet somehow Gene took them nowhere and their careers went down the toilet and now they're just forgotten bands whose albums go enormous amounts of money on eBay because they're so rare.

So how come he couldn't make those bands "make it" and make money out of them, when he did such an amazing job with Kiss?

My theory (which I just came up with then haha, writing this post must have helped me answer my own question) is that it was timing... Gene was doing too much in the '80s, with his acting and all, and thats when he wasn't interested in Kiss either and that's when Kiss were at their least popular...

Yep, Gene was too busy, plus the over saturation of that kind of band at that point probably didnt help :)

Shannow: :lol:

I'd say it was more the too busy thing. Even though there was an over saturation of those bands at the time, look how many crapper ones and really generic ones did make it? At least make it more than Gene's bands... and Gene's bands were actually awesome and they weren't really generic either imo.

But theres heaps of truly great bands NOW that will never make it big, its just they way it is, and the way it was back then. The market was beyond flooded with that kind of band at the time, Gene didnt have the money of a huge record label to push the bands, thus they got lost in the sea of similair bands. Song quality has pretty much nothing to do with it whatsoever unfortunately :)

Ohhh that's a good point actually about Gene not having the money of a big label to push the bands. Of course these days he'd have the money haha! But not back then...