The Nevermore tour curse....Rant

ElectricWiz

Steal Your Face
Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I'm rotating some Nevermore on the 'ol playlist right now, as often happens.
Nevermore, for my money, is a world class metal band. Their last three albums in particular have been as good a run as ANY three albums in a row by a metal band - Metallica's first three, Opeth, Maiden, Sabbath, you name it. I'm quite serious about that, though of course it is just my opinion. I'd say they have been my favorite straight-up metal band for awhile now.

Anyway, I've been hoping to see them for some time, yet they only seem to come through here (San Francisco - a big market) with bands I really don't like, and usually two or three bands at a time at that - meaning a small setlist inevitably. I'll see them next time they come through regardless, but couldn't care less about In Flames and the other bands on the upcoming tour. Not to mention the fact that they are touring in Europe with Disturbed (?????) I understand the need for exposure, so I'm certainly not harping on the band themselves. Only.....COME ON MAN!!!! Let's get a headline tour going! The only exception I can think of as far as their touring history goes is a jaunt they did with Opeth on the Dead Heart/Blackwater Park tour (Nevermore headlining). I didn't live anywhere near a place where that tour stopped (wasn't here at the time).

Anyway, granted I missed some of the shows they've done here because I was busy, or out of town....but just as often I've opted out because I don't want to see Dimu Borger (no time for spelling!) or Children of Bodom.

OK, rant done. As I said before, I'll go see them next time regardless (which will probably be the In Flames tour).....Man, I wish I lived in Europe sometimes.

They're going to be in SF at the Fillmore on April 9 with Chimaira, Arch Enemy, and Hate Eternal. They go on second with Chimaira and Arch Enemy swapping Headlining roles. The only place I could find anyting on the dates was on Arch Enemy's site:

http://www.archenemy.net/

Looks like they start the tour in Denver. I'm not sure if I'll go or not. I'd like to see Nevermore again but I know nothing at all of the other three.

See, that's what I'm talking about. I couldn't care less about those other three (THREE!) bands. Ah well. I'll still go......Gotta see them on this tour as I think This Godless Endeavor was the best metal album last year.

ElectricWiz said:
Scratch that last comment, there are FOUR other bands on that tour. God Forbid is also listed. God Forbid? Indeed.

Yeah I figured that played right into what you were talking about. God Forbid is taking Nevermore's slot after the April 13th date. I guess that gives NM a little time to recuperate before they go back on tour in May.

going to the L.A. show, sucks that Nevermore is playing another tour with another short set list...but I'll still be there at least it will be an early nite as I have no plans to stay for Arch Enemy..well maybe hang at the bar:kickass:

kittybeast said:
going to the L.A. show, sucks that Nevermore is playing another tour with another short set list...but I'll still be there at least it will be an early nite as I have no plans to stay for Arch Enemy..well maybe hang at the bar:kickass:

Haha. Yeah, actually I find it kind of fun to watch other people enjoy bands that I don't really get. It's actually a little insight into how silly we all are - and I'm not poking fun. I get a very non-saracastic enjoyment out of watching others dig the bands they love (but I don't love).

kittybeast said:

Actually, I think that Arch Enemy kick all kinds of ass!! They are way up on my must see list. I love Angela's vocals, but even when you don't like them there's still plenty of killer guitar work to enjoy.

These guys know how to play! But then, if you really dislike them, all of the above is completely irrelevant! :lol:

I got excited when I saw this tour with Nevermore on it but then I saw that they'd be replaced by God Forbid when they got here :mad: . I think Arch Enemy is great but I couldn't care less for Chimaira or God Forbid and haven't heard any Hate Eternal, so now I don't know if I'll go. Plus I've already seen Arch Enemy once.

Nevermore is pretty much the only band I like on this tour as well. I think Angela would sound better if she didn't try so hard to sound like 'one of the guys'. There has been better female metal vocalists in my not so humble opinion. Dawn Crosby (rip) anyone?

RockMyMonkey said:
Nevermore is pretty much the only band I like on this tour as well. I think Angela would sound better if she didn't try so hard to sound like 'one of the guys'. There has been better female metal vocalists in my not so humble opinion. Dawn Crosby (rip) anyone?

I never liked Dawn not did I think much of detente. If you talk a 'one of the boys' immage then Dawn Crosby sure tried to create that.

Hawk said:
I never liked Dawn not did I think much of detente. If you talk a 'one of the boys' immage then Dawn Crosby sure tried to create that.

I was talking more about the Fear Of God era for myself. Other than that I guess we both just hear different things from each of them. Cheers. :kickass:

RockMyMonkey said:
I was talking more about the Fear Of God era for myself. Other than that I guess we both just hear different things from each of them. Cheers. :kickass:

As is usually the case with music. Listing to your favorite music is like being married to your wife for 40 years. Others may think she is ugly but you love her more than anything else on the planet. :)

Btw I just read your review of the new Europe DVD. Good job!