The *New* Another Fucking Metal Game

Killbot said:
No because progressive isn't a genre. Essentially they are power metal, but with progressive elements.

Prog is a genre. And Bal-Sagoth isnt terrible. You probably havent heard an album fully.

Death vs. Gorguts

Montu Sekhmet said:
Prog is a genre. And Bal-Sagoth isnt terrible. You probably havent heard an album fully.

Death vs. Gorguts

since this was the first to be answered

Death vs Quo Vadis

Montu Sekhmet said:

Progressive can encopass such a range of music, it doesn't make sense to describe a band as solely progressive. It only works in conjunction with another genre. Metal-Archives also seem to agree that Symphony X are power metal. Finally, yes I have heard a full B-S album, but i did not enjoy it at all, I thus regard them as terrible. It is a personal opinion, so I don't expect you to agree.

Killbot said:
Progressive can encopass such a range of music, it doesn't make sense to describe a band as solely progressive. It only works in conjunction with another genre. Metal-Archives also seem to agree that Symphony X are power metal. Finally, yes I have heard a full B-S album, but i did not enjoy it at all, I thus regard them as terrible. It is a personal opinion, so I don't expect you to agree.

Ok then. I will continue to view them as prog becuase that is how they describe themselves. Metal Archives should consult the band on the issue, and not base things on opinion.

Death vs. Unleashed

If Judas Priest called themselves Dark Ambient, that would not make it so. Symphony X is progressive Power Metal.

Unleashed vs Nihilist

Necuratul said:
If Judas Priest called themselves Dark Ambient, that would not make it so. Symphony X is progressive Power Metal.

Unleashed vs Nihilist

Explain why you call them power metal.

Unleashed vs. Naglfar

Their music and the way that they compose their music is characteristic of Power Metal with a very minutely progressive edge.

Authentic Metalhead said:
Songs written mainly in the major key.

But if you listen to all of their albums, you'll find that they don't play in the major key all the time.

Gehenna vs. Tyr

Montu Sekhmet said:
But if you listen to all of their albums, you'll find that they don't play in the major key all the time.

But if you read all of his post, you'll find that he said "mainly." Also, they incorporate traditional melodic sections, galloping parts, a lot of power chord riffs at times, etc. It's basically power metal with a touch of prog. What's so bad about that?

Sacramentum because Dissection sold out or something.

Sacramentum Vs. Dawn Of Dreams

V.V.V.V.V. said:
But if you read all of his post, you'll find that he said "mainly." Also, they incorporate traditional melodic sections, galloping parts, a lot of power chord riffs at times, etc. It's basically power metal with a touch of prog. What's so bad about that?

I misread the post. And I'm just playing devil's advocate here, I don't really care that much.

Sacramentum vs. The Kovenant