the new my dying bride

I have also just bought their latest record. It's great!
Songs like Cathrine Blake, Wine in silence and Blue lotus are just breathtaking...

Novembers Paul said:
I think the new MDB is brilliant, and the best from the band since Like Gods of the Sun. As far as The Eternal, is it better then Cryptal Darkness? I was never a fan of that band, and if I remember correctly, it was the vocals that didn't sit well with me. I could be wrong, it's been a long time since I heard it.
I feel exactly the same way about the new MDB album, and I even stated it on their forum. Best album since 'Like Gods...'.

As for The Eternal, I saw them live a while ago and they're due to play again soon, and I can tell you, the material is amazing. Apparently they've changed several members since Cryptal Darkness. Anyway, The Eternal (at least live) is utterly brilliant. Very 'Draconian Times' era Paradise Lost and mid era MDB. It's good stuff.

I also finally got 'To Welcome the Fade' the other day, and it's a real grower! It's a very unique album I think, and it's very very good. Getting better with every listen. Well done!

It seems that our albums tend to be "growers" with alot of people. I don't think that's a bad thing because alot of my now favorite albums we're the same way with me, they took a while to grow on me. I just hope that enough people out there allow themselves enough time and listens to let our cds grow on them!

And ironically, thats pretty much how I feel about the new MDB. It didn't grab me at first but it's growing on me. I'm not the biggest MDB fan anyhow, but when they're good, they're really good. A few of the songs on this new album are very good.

It took me a few listens to really like it as well. I was thrown at first by how mellow it was compared to the previous 2 albums. But after the third listen, I 'got it' and now its one of my favorite MDB albums. Amazing stuff.

NvmbrsDoom5 said:
It seems that our albums tend to be "growers" with alot of people. I don't think that's a bad thing because alot of my now favorite albums we're the same way with me, they took a while to grow on me. I just hope that enough people out there allow themselves enough time and listens to let our cds grow on them!
I agree completely. In fact, my favourite 2 or 3 albums of all time have seemed strange to me upon first listening, usually because I'm expecting them to sound like those bands' previous releases, which is pretty stupid I admit :loco:

Growers are very often the best albums, because it usually means there is more going on than is immediately obvious. That can only be a good thing....

Totally, that's how I feel about it too. Sometimes having an album that is what you'd expect automatically from a band (Motorhead, for example) can be a very good thing. But I really enjoy albums where there's a need to invest some time into listening to them and appreciating it.
For example, a few albums that had to grow on me but are now amongst my all time favorites would be.......
Voivod- Angel Rat
Katatonia- Viva Emptiness
Thought Industry- Outer Space Is Just A Martini Away
Amorphis- Tuonela
Atrocity- Blut

All of those albums were by bands who I was already a fan of previously, but these particular albums were such a departure that it took me a while to appreciate them. And ironically, I can say that almost all of those listed above wound up becoming my favorite releases by those artists!
If we have that sort of effect on listeners at all, I'd be quite pleased. I'd rather that people not just get a quick fix from our music and then toss in the pile to rarely be listened to again! Lord knows I've experienced that myself...

I've been a fan of MDB since their second (full) album "Turn loose the Swans" but lost track of them after "33,whatever % complete." I didn't like "Like Gods of the Sun" that much either, because they tried to make real songs with bridges and stuff. They tried to follow the basic rules of songwriting I guess. MDB should be dreamy with some passages that have nothing to do with the original riffs, but are very beautiful instead.
I'm glad to see (hear) they do that now again! MDB has a special place in my heart like Anathema, Opeth and ND. :err:

I think albums like "Like Gods Of the Sun" are great, I really liked the way they wrote their songs at that point. I think alot of the stuff on "34.788% complete" is really good too, albeit "different" for them. I was never much of a big fan of their epic, long, dreamy songs really. I guess it just goes to show that people can appreciate a band like MDB for completely opposite reasons. Perhaps that's part of what makes them one of the leaders in what they do.

NvmbrsDoom5 said:
I think albums like "Like Gods Of the Sun" are great, I really liked the way they wrote their songs at that point. I think alot of the stuff on "34.788% complete" is really good too, albeit "different" for them. I was never much of a big fan of their epic, long, dreamy songs really. I guess it just goes to show that people can appreciate a band like MDB for completely opposite reasons. Perhaps that's part of what makes them one of the leaders in what they do.
I'm much the same. I actually got into MDB as a love sick teenager around 'Like Gods' and 'The Angel', so that kind of was the MDB sound for me, and the proper MDB sound, if I can call it that, with the growled vocals etc, was something hard to get into. 'Turn Loose the Swans' excepted of course! I have all their albums though, so I got into them pretty heavily.

Besides, '34.788% Complete' has two of their best tracks EVER in 'The Whore, the Cook, the Mother' and 'Base Level Erotica'.