The News Thread

Well, no one's mentioned this yet:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/07/...lights&contentPlacement=5&pgtype=sectionfront

The report, issued on Monday by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, a group of scientists convened by the United Nations to guide world leaders, describes a world of worsening food shortages and wildfires, and a mass die-off of coral reefs as soon as 2040 — a period well within the lifetime of much of the global population.

The report “is quite a shock, and quite concerning,” said Bill Hare, an author of previous I.P.C.C. reports and a physicist with Climate Analytics, a nonprofit organization. “We were not aware of this just a few years ago.” The report was the first to be commissioned by world leaders under the Paris agreement, the 2015 pact by nations to fight global warming.

The authors found that if greenhouse gas emissions continue at the current rate, the atmosphere will warm up by as much as 2.7 degrees Fahrenheit (1.5 degrees Celsius) above preindustrial levels by 2040, inundating coastlines and intensifying droughts and poverty. Previous work had focused on estimating the damage if average temperatures were to rise by a larger number, 3.6 degrees Fahrenheit (2 degrees Celsius), because that was the threshold scientists previously considered for the most severe effects of climate change.

The new report, however, shows that many of those effects will come much sooner, at the 2.7-degree mark.

And in the meantime...

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/11/...tml?rref=collection/sectioncollection/science

An Environmental Protection Agency panel that advises the agency’s leadership on the latest scientific information about soot in the atmosphere is not listed as continuing its work next year, an E.P.A. official said.

The 20-person Particulate Matter Review Panel, made up of experts in microscopic airborne pollutants known to cause respiratory disease, is responsible for helping the agency decide what levels of pollutants are safe to breathe. Agency officials declined to say why the E.P.A. intends to stop convening the panel next year, particularly as the agency considers whether to revise air quality standards.

Well I guess we will see. So far "An Inconvenient Truth" has failed to prove true. I get a chuckle every time there's some extreme weather and the comparison is within the last century since "the last time something like this happened", even more so when it's within the last 2-3 decades. People look at the destruction totals and forget we have been building up in very vulnerable areas during that entire time.

I do think there needs to be monitoring of environmental pollutants. Guess we take the good with the bad.

Anywho, what about all the media doing all but calling Kanye a House Buddypal?

ZvUOPyy.jpg

Reactions: The Ozzman
Wouldn't have made sense since I'm not a boomer nor is the person who made the meme. Also fuck boomers, boomers are the retards who whitewashed communist history to such a degree that millennials now felate dictators and mass murderers.

:err: Why does your not being a baby boomer disqualify its meaning? That makes no sense. You posted a meme making fun of millennials. I offered a meme making fun of baby boomers. Where's the problem?

You said you were going to post it in response, kinda changes the context no? Make fun of boomers all you like pal, but doing it in response to me or a meme implies I'm a boomer or the person who made the meme is a boomer.

I don't think so--it's merely a rejoinder to a jab at millennials. I didn't assume anything about you, I was just reacting to the meme. The point would have been that for all the shit people drop on millennials, baby boomers are just as shitty.

If not worse, honestly--since most millennials don't actually want free shit; they're just annoyed at having to answer to baby-boomer expectations, e.g. "When I was twenty-five, I owned a house!" Good for you, jackass.

Boomers are worse than millennials I agree, especially if you consider that a lot of the negative aspects of whatever could be defined as a millennial caricature comes directly from boomers.

My dad told me a story about buying his first house, apparently he just lied to the bank about how much he had in his savings. Imagine trying to do that now? Of course these are the same people shitting on younger generations for not owning homes.

But if you wouldn't have intended the meme in that way that's fair enough, I certainly would have taken it as if I'm (or the person who made the meme) is the boomer shooting the country and blaming the millennials in your meme, since it's a response to an anti-millennials meme.

Whtvs.

Well, millenials are pretty shitty. This coming from a guy who has to interview them for jobs on the regular. "You mean I have to do physical labor?" "How many breaks do I get?" "How long is lunch?" Yes, those are actual questions I've received from these retards.

And when some of them do get the job, it's an act of god to separate them from their phone. Cliched millenials jabs, I know, but very accurate. I truly hope the laziness of millenials translates into active and positive participation in society for the next generation.

What will millenials tell their kids? "When I was 25, I had the Samsung 8, and I had to type on it!"

Agree about Boomers though. My dad is one. And yes, they definitely look down on non whites.

Well I guess we will see. So far "An Inconvenient Truth" has failed to prove true. I get a chuckle every time there's some extreme weather and the comparison is within the last century since "the last time something like this happened", even more so when it's within the last 2-3 decades. People look at the destruction totals and forget we have been building up in very vulnerable areas during that entire time.

I do think there needs to be monitoring of environmental pollutants. Guess we take the good with the bad.

Anywho, what about all the media doing all but calling Kanye a House Buddypal?

ZvUOPyy.jpg

facebook_1539249751886.jpg